Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
Is your phone up to date software wise?

I just went to update the software and it told me that the available update is more than 100 MB large, so it's not available via mobile networks. I need to connect to Wi-Fi to download. Of course I am unable to connect to any Wi-Fi network, so it's not letting me download the update.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
I just went to update the software and it told me that the available update is more than 100 MB large, so it's not available via mobile networks. I need to connect to Wi-Fi to download. Of course I am unable to connect to any Wi-Fi network, so it's not letting me download the update.

Try updating it and maybe the drivers just needed to be up to date and fix the issue.worth a shot

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
Try updating it and maybe the drivers just needed to be up to date and fix the issue.worth a shot

I'll try that out, although I need to update via USB or find a website to download it from, since my phone only allows update via non-functional Wi-Fi.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
I'll try that out, although I need to update via USB or find a website to download it from, since my phone only allows update via non-functional Wi-Fi.

Yea just update it through USB on your laptop/desktop. It's faster anyway, just do it on Kies. and back up your phone while your at it if you please.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
Tried it, no luck. Guess I'll try T-Mobile tech support. For some reason, they don't have an e-mail address to contact.

Did the factory reset delete all your apps?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 08:15 PM)
Yeah, and then it re-downloaded all of them once I signed in to my Google account.

Hmm, so it did re-install the OS yet you still can't get your toggles to work.

It could be an app you installed that's possibly screwing with it, but I don't think that's all that likely.

Does your bluetooth just not come on at all when you use the toggle? Or does it come on when you set it in the settings menu?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 11:59 PM)
Hmm, so it did re-install the OS yet you still can't get your toggles to work.

It could be an app you installed that's possibly screwing with it, but I don't think that's all that likely.

Does your bluetooth just not come on at all when you use the toggle? Or does it come on when you set it in the settings menu?

I also download the newest Android system 4.4 via Kies, like the other poster suggested, still the same problem.

If I go to the settings menu and try to turn on Bluetooth. I press ON, it says "Turning on Bluetooth..." for about 20 seconds with the ON button dimmed, then it switches back to OFF. Same thing with Wi-Fi, but there it doesn't even say it's looking for networks, just switches off after 10-15 seconds.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
I also download the newest Android system 4.4 via Kies, like the other poster suggested, still the same problem.

If I go to the settings menu and try to turn on Bluetooth. I press ON, it says "Turning on Bluetooth..." for about 20 seconds with the ON button dimmed, then it switches back to OFF. Same thing with Wi-Fi, but there it doesn't even say it's looking for networks, just switches off after 10-15 seconds.

It might be a hardware issue.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 01:18 AM)
I tried live games today, and I kept getting errors. But I watched an archive game and it played silky smooth.

Yeah, a lot of people have been complaining about MLBTV this year and using external devices (PS3, XBOX, Apple TV, Roku). I know PS4 took forever to actually work and it still has some problems.

If games won't work live it is almost useless.

Now things have gone too far....

Verizon location tracking will now follow customers from mobile to desktop

Verizon Wireless customers got a surprising message this week, as the company announced ambitious new changes to its Relevant Mobile Advertising program. The carrier already tracks its customers' locations as a way of generating valuable advertising data, but the new program goes further, following users' browsing habits so as to track them from their phones to their computers. It's a bold new step in the company's data collection efforts, allowing Verizon to build comprehensive profiles of each user while still technically avoiding any personally identifiable information.

The program works by seeding tracking cookies whenever a customer logs into the MyVerizon site, a typical tactic to follow a given user from page to page. In Verizon's case, that data is also combined with detailed data on each user's physical movements, taken every time the phone pings back to a cell tower for a signal. The result is a much fuller portrait than tracking cookies alone could provide. The end result is a tailored ad, delivered direct to your phone, representing a lucrative new profit stream for carriers at large.

VPN won't hurt, either, when it comes to hiding yourself from your ISP. VPN won't handle the cookies, in which case you have Disconnect. Honestly, I'd use Disconnect, Adblock Edge (Firefox)/Adblock (Chrome), and some kind of cookie management. In Firefox, I use BetterPrivacy which self-destructs my cookies periodically and in Chrome I instruct it to erase cookies when I exit browser (along with not accepting third party cookies).