Brian Anderson's future...? Thought this was funny.

caulfield12

I feel bad for Anderson. If he had a real chance to develop in the majors (not being pushed aside for the greats of Mackowiak, Erstad, Wise, Owens, etc) he may of been able to hit decent enough, even if its just the 9 hole, a young, cheap player that can hit decent enough and play solid defense...would of been a solid piece to the puzzle.

He had so much potential, deserved better.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 11:42 PM)
I feel bad for Anderson. If he had a real chance to develop in the majors (not being pushed aside for the greats of Mackowiak, Erstad, Wise, Owens, etc) he may of been able to hit decent enough, even if its just the 9 hole, a young, cheap player that can hit decent enough and play solid defense...would of been a solid piece to the puzzle.

Speechless.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 11:42 PM)

He had more "real chances" with the Sox than most prospects get on arrival when they do as badly as he did.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
He had more "real chances" with the Sox than most prospects get on arrival when they do as badly as he did.

And yet, I'd still say it's equally true that the Sox never put him in a legitimate position to succeed.

Some guys can thrive being used how Anderson was used, some won't. If the team continues to use a guy in a way that it's obvious he can't succeed, and at the same time, the guy doesn't adapt to how he's being used...who gets the blame? There's some for both sides.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
And yet, I'd still say it's equally true that the Sox never put him in a legitimate position to succeed.

Some guys can thrive being used how Anderson was used, some won't. If the team continues to use a guy in a way that it's obvious he can't succeed, and at the same time, the guy doesn't adapt to how he's being used...who gets the blame? There's some for both sides.

Ugh, I should never have said anything. BA had a full and complete chance to succeed, and he failed, both in performance (offensively) and in approach. I have zero sympathy for him, and zero disappointment in the Sox for it.

But we can go back and say we didn't give Joe Borchard, Ryan Sweeney, Gio Gonzalez, Josh Fields or Chris Getz a real chance to succeed, too.

I think it's interesting there is the perception that Brian Anderson was really screwed over by the organization, but you rarely hear that about any of our other busted prospects.

Did Ozzie also screw over Jon Rauch and Sean Tracey, for example?

I guess the proof is in the pudding, it's just as much about "mental toughness" and psychological preparation as it is the physical...especially in the majors. It's not like Anderson went to another team and became Torii Hunter.

I still am skeptical he's legitimately throwing 97 on a consistent basis. I think he MIGHT have thrown that speed ONE time on a fast gun, and that supports the case it was a worthwhile move to change him to a pitcher, but I find it very hard to believe he's going to go out there like Santos or Sale and throw 95-98 (even touching 99/100 in the case of Sale) on a consistent basis with any degree of command/control.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
But we can go back and say we didn't give Joe Borchard, Ryan Sweeney, Gio Gonzalez, Josh Fields or Chris Getz a real chance to succeed, too.

I think it's interesting there is the perception that Brian Anderson was really screwed over by the organization, but you rarely hear that about any of our other busted prospects.

Gio Gonzalez wasn't ready for the majors when the Sox had him. With him, it came down to the fact that the Sox really wanted Jim Thome, then really wanted Nick Swisher, and the only way to get them was to trade Gio Gonzalez. They decided that their chances to win in 06 & 08 were worth it to give him up both times.

Josh Fields was given chances to succeed and failed. Chris Gets did play 107 games last year, but I just think he isn't good enough anyway to be given a full-time chance. He was a 4th round pick, and hes probably living up to that draft status in KC.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
Gio Gonzalez wasn't ready for the majors when the Sox had him. With him, it came down to the fact that the Sox really wanted Jim Thome, then really wanted Nick Swisher, and the only way to get them was to trade Gio Gonzalez. They decided that their chances to win in 06 & 08 were worth it to give him up both times.

Josh Fields was given chances to succeed and failed. Chris Gets did play 107 games last year, but I just think he isn't good enough anyway to be given a full-time chance. He was a 4th round pick, and hes probably living up to that draft status in KC.

Getz actually showed some legitimate promise last year and there was a time in July when it seemed like he and Beckham were the only 2 on the roster who knew how to hit. Reality with Getz though is...even if he topped out what he could do, he's a fringey starting 2b or a backup IF at best. Beckham belongs at 2b long-term and the org knows it, so Getz was basically the odd man out there.

Fields was given chances and was a real drag. He had a great 2008, but struggled through injury in 2009 and by 2010 showed zero ability to adapt to hitting fastballs. He could have been given more chances, but giving him those chances meant waving the white flag, since the team flat out needed offense out of that spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
Getz actually showed some legitimate promise last year and there was a time in July when it seemed like he and Beckham were the only 2 on the roster who knew how to hit. Reality with Getz though is...even if he topped out what he could do, he's a fringey starting 2b or a backup IF at best. Beckham belongs at 2b long-term and the org knows it, so Getz was basically the odd man out there.

Fields was given chances and was a real drag. He had a great 2008, but struggled through injury in 2009 and by 2010 showed zero ability to adapt to hitting fastballs. He could have been given more chances, but giving him those chances meant waving the white flag, since the team flat out needed offense out of that spot.

I think you mean great 2nd half of 2007 with no pressure on him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 08:32 AM)
Ugh, I should never have said anything. BA had a full and complete chance to succeed, and he failed, both in performance (offensively) and in approach. I have zero sympathy for him, and zero disappointment in the Sox for it.

QFT

I gave some thought today as to why there are always 2 different sides on this player in particular, but on other Sox players as well, and I think a big part of the reason is that the Sox as an organization haven't yet decided if they want to be a team that develops players in the minor leagues and brings them up slowly, fixing all their mechanical flaws and expecting them to contribute from day 1, or a team that pushes guys hard to the big leagues and expects to fix any issues they h ave once they get to the show.

A guy like Anderson...or Fields, or Getz, or Hudson, or Hell, even Beckham...these are guys who, even if they came up somewhat slowly...had some things to work on that they could legitimately have worked on in the minors. Fields; fastball. Getz; consistent batting. Anderson; full swing overhaul. Hudson; throwing strikes. Beckham; consistent swing (see; earlier this season when his body flew open).

If you're not going to fix these problems in the minor leagues, if you're not going to be extra-patient with the guys who legitimately need an overhaul, then when they do get to the big leagues, they're going to struggle at the start. Some teams are going to tolerate this...if you're trying to build like the Pirates, or the Marlins, whatever...you can live with a loss or two. Some teams are deep enough to let guys struggle and adapt (think about the Red Sox with their young guys).

What the Sox keep doing though is playing it half-way. They push these guys hard to get them to the upper levels of their system...a lot of times their raw ability carries them that far, but they don't get the level of correction/coaching they need to fix problems that will get exposed once they reach the top level. Once they reach the top level they're then expected to perform immediately, and if they struggle, they wind up on the bench or traded.

If you're going to bring these guys up without working on correcting their flaws, then benching them can't be an option. They're only going to fix things and learn if they are playing constantly. If, on the other hand, you work guys well enough in the minor leagues, then they get to the big leagues, keep doing what they've been taught, and they turn into Danny Valencia, Jason Kubel, and Denard Span, and they start performing a lot more quickly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
I gave some thought today as to why there are always 2 different sides on this player in particular, but on other Sox players as well, and I think a big part of the reason is that the Sox as an organization haven't yet decided if they want to be a team that develops players in the minor leagues and brings them up slowly, fixing all their mechanical flaws and expecting them to contribute from day 1, or a team that pushes guys hard to the big leagues and expects to fix any issues they h ave once they get to the show.

A guy like Anderson...or Fields, or Getz, or Hudson, or Hell, even Beckham...these are guys who, even if they came up somewhat slowly...had some things to work on that they could legitimately have worked on in the minors. Fields; fastball. Getz; consistent batting. Anderson; full swing overhaul. Hudson; throwing strikes. Beckham; consistent swing (see; earlier this season when his body flew open).

If you're not going to fix these problems in the minor leagues, if you're not going to be extra-patient with the guys who legitimately need an overhaul, then when they do get to the big leagues, they're going to struggle at the start. Some teams are going to tolerate this...if you're trying to build like the Pirates, or the Marlins, whatever...you can live with a loss or two. Some teams are deep enough to let guys struggle and adapt (think about the Red Sox with their young guys).

What the Sox keep doing though is playing it half-way. They push these guys hard to get them to the upper levels of their system...a lot of times their raw ability carries them that far, but they don't get the level of correction/coaching they need to fix problems that will get exposed once they reach the top level. Once they reach the top level they're then expected to perform immediately, and if they struggle, they wind up on the bench or traded.

If you're going to bring these guys up without working on correcting their flaws, then benching them can't be an option. They're only going to fix things and learn if they are playing constantly. If, on the other hand, you work guys well enough in the minor leagues, then they get to the big leagues, keep doing what they've been taught, and they turn into Danny Valencia, Jason Kubel, and Denard Span, and they start performing a lot more quickly.

Bingo-----------for a long time now

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:36 AM)
I thought, like Ozzie, that he was an obnoxious party boy who would've had a better career if he worked as hard as he partied. But how can you wish him failure because he can't hit for s***? I hope he does well for himself.

Good post. I wish him well as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)

I think that the patience level of the Sox is directly tied to KWs insatiable desire to field a competitive team each and every year. KW doesn't believe in rebuilding, and he doesn't have time for a prospect to develop. I remember Joe Crede used to suck at the plate earlier in his career, but the Sox were patient and allowed him to figure things out and become valuable. Same with Jon Garland. When the Sox won it in 2005 and they traded Rowand, I thought to myself there's no way that the Sox can afford to let Brian Anderson develop and stay competitive at the same time. I didn't want them to either. Once you get a taste of winning, you don't ever want to go back.

With all that being said... I really wish someone could have gotten to Brian Anderson and taught him how to hit. Anderson and Rios in the outfield at the same time would have been insane.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
I think that the patience level of the Sox is directly tied to KWs insatiable desire to field a competitive team each and every year. KW doesn't believe in rebuilding, and he doesn't have time for a prospect to develop. I remember Joe Crede used to suck at the plate earlier in his career, but the Sox were patient and allowed him to figure things out and become valuable. Same with Jon Garland. When the Sox won it in 2005 and they traded Rowand, I thought to myself there's no way that the Sox can afford to let Brian Anderson develop and stay competitive at the same time. I didn't want them to either. Once you get a taste of winning, you don't ever want to go back.

With all that being said... I really wish someone could have gotten to Brian Anderson and taught him how to hit. Anderson and Rios in the outfield at the same time would have been insane.

If Anderson had learned how to hit, I doubt the Sox would have claimed Rios and taken on his salary for another CF.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)

Then that's a problem that needs to be addressed, because you have to give prospects time to develop. If you don't, you end up with $90 million tied up between 14 players when your budget is $95 million and you get forced to trade players you didn't want to trade in the first place.

• 2 years later...
QUOTE (jhonnydanks @ Mar 2, 2013 -> 05:18 PM)
I'd say he's doing alright...apparently was hanging out with Bibi Jones recently.

Caution: The link may contain some NSFW icons/shortcuts.

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/_BiBiJones/view/14860401

get it. get it.

Classic thread bump. From Gronkowski to Brian Anderson? That's quite the drop off.

• 2 weeks later...