*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 13, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
Nikes are very narrow shoes. They tend to do this to people who don't have narrow enough feet. Try New Balance or saucony if she continues to have issues. They have wider toe boxes.

I'm a huge fan of Brooks as well. I've never had good luck with Nike running shoes.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 13, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
Nikes are very narrow shoes. They tend to do this to people who don't have narrow enough feet. Try New Balance or saucony if she continues to have issues. They have wider toe boxes.

It's still hurting her, but now it's almost moving back into her arch instead of being really painful whenever there's toe flexion. She switched back to her Merrell hiking shoes when it first started hurting. For the most part, she's walking on the treadmill at 3-3.5 mph but 10-15 incline with a 10-20 pound pack on her back versus running or jogging.

It's been getting a little better, but it's not exactly easy to completely rest your foot.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 13, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
It's still hurting her, but now it's almost moving back into her arch instead of being really painful whenever there's toe flexion. She switched back to her Merrell hiking shoes when it first started hurting. For the most part, she's walking on the treadmill at 3-3.5 mph but 10-15 incline with a 10-20 pound pack on her back versus running or jogging.

It's been getting a little better, but it's not exactly easy to completely rest your foot.

Could it be from just walking on an incline constantly?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 13, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)

She should look at saucony shoes if she can.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
Could it be from just walking on an incline constantly?

I'm sure that's the root cause, but your shoes can definitely make it worse. She had no problem for about 4 months using her Merrells, a few weeks with the Nikes and her toe's all messed up.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 13, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
I'm sure that's the root cause, but your shoes can definitely make it worse. She had no problem for about 4 months using her Merrells, a few weeks with the Nikes and her toe's all messed up.

Yeah, that's no fun...not a good malady to have...:(

Just to defend Nike, I had a pair of new balance shoes a couple years ago and noticed that whenever I wore them my arch/plantar fascia area started hurting. I wore those out, switched back to Nikes, and haven't had pain since. Definitely IMO it was the shoes and I've decided the indonesian 6 year olds who make nikes must be my friends.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2014 -> 05:31 PM)
Just to defend Nike, I had a pair of new balance shoes a couple years ago and noticed that whenever I wore them my arch/plantar fascia area started hurting. I wore those out, switched back to Nikes, and haven't had pain since. Definitely IMO it was the shoes and I've decided the indonesian 6 year olds who make nikes must be my friends.

I fully recommend going to a running store and getting fitted. Every brand fits very differently. I only had luck with Brooks running shoes for some reason.

I need to get rid of bad stomach fat. I know its mainly due to my poor diet. I eat a lot of junk and constantly drink sodas. I also am not too sure about where all this weight really is. I know I have somewhat of a gut, but I have not noticed any increase in my pant size.

I weighed about 205-210 coming out of high school. Right now I am about 230-235. Yet I have a pair of cargo shorts I bought in like 2004 that still fit the same today. So I know my waist isn't whats been getting bigger. I have had P90X for about 4 years now, and have yet to get past 2 weeks of it mainly due to just not wanting to do it.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 20, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
I need to get rid of bad stomach fat. I know its mainly due to my poor diet. I eat a lot of junk and constantly drink sodas. I also am not too sure about where all this weight really is. I know I have somewhat of a gut, but I have not noticed any increase in my pant size.

I weighed about 205-210 coming out of high school. Right now I am about 230-235. Yet I have a pair of cargo shorts I bought in like 2004 that still fit the same today. So I know my waist isn't whats been getting bigger. I have had P90X for about 4 years now, and have yet to get past 2 weeks of it mainly due to just not wanting to do it.

Others here may disagree, but I think cutting out the soda and junk food and running 3 to 5 miles a couple times per week will get you pretty close to where you want to be by themselves, and by late Summer. Programs like P90X will no doubt get you there faster (and take you farther), but if you can't commit to something like that (I don't think I could either), you shouldn't let that stop you altogether. You can always step up to that later.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 20, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
Others here may disagree, but I think cutting out the soda and junk food and running 3 to 5 miles a couple times per week will get you pretty close to where you want to be by themselves, and by late Summer. Programs like P90X will no doubt get you there faster (and take you farther), but if you can't commit to something like that (I don't think I could either), you shouldn't let that stop you altogether. You can always step up to that later.

That'll get him to lose some weight, no doubt, but with out some resistant training his body composition might not be the best.

It's a little bit of everything that gets bigger: your face, your thighs, your butt, your gut, etc. I'm about like you, was always around 200 in high school and college, then slowly ballooned up to 235 10 years later. I can still wear old cargo shorts and even some jeans.

Prior to getting sick this last week, my wife and I did what they call a military diet - basically eat 1k in calories a day for 3 days, and then try to eat healthier the next 4 days. I did it for two weeks and only lost a couple pounds (my wife lost like 8), but what it did was totally change the size of my stomach. Before I could put down a Pot Belly's big sandwich with no problem and room to spare. But after 2 weeks on that diet my stomach had shrunk enough that I can now barely finish a regular sized pot belly sandwich. I think that's the biggest key. We don't realize just how much we eat these days and the more we eat the more the stomach expands and we don't feel full as fast.

Your diet is going to explain 75% of your results and pretty much 100% of your weight loss results.

Exercise, though, is going to affect the way the weight is lost - even the most basic of exercises will help you preserve muscle mass and cause you to lose more "bad" weight than otherwise

QUOTE (Jake @ May 20, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
Your diet is going to explain 75% of your results and pretty much 100% of your weight loss results.

Exercise, though, is going to affect the way the weight is lost - even the most basic of exercises will help you preserve muscle mass and cause you to lose more "bad" weight than otherwise

This, right here.

It's imperative you find an activity you ENJOY doing, whether that be running, cycling, rollerblading, weight lifting, or even P90X, whatever it is you choose for exercise, if you enjoy it, it's no longer exercise in the traditional sense. Then, use that specific activity as a challenge to see how far you can push yourself, within reason.

Then comes diet, and since you are already aware of the issue, which is eating junk and drinking soda constantly, you have to pull on the reins a bit and learn the manage yourself. If you currently drink 4 sodas a day, cut it to 2 or 3, and a few weeks later cut it to 1 or 2. If you drink 2 teaspoons of sugar in your coffee, cut it to 1, and so on...and if you make these small changes for everything you eat/drink throughout a day, it adds up to a huge amount of dead calories saved per week, without completely giving up the things you love.

You don't have to take s*** from yourself...you know whats good and whats bad, and no matter how much you "want it", it's still your decision to actually eat/drink that much of it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with junk food, there is only something wrong with a person being unable, or unwilling to say I've had enough.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 06:23 PM)
Anyone use handle bars for push ups? My wrist has been aching, not because of THAT...mostly, and wondering if they help.

If pushups hurt your wrists, they might help. I made some out of PVC pipe.

Over the last three weeks of combining a meticulous diet with exercise, I have managed to get down 10lbs from when I first weighed in - 178.8 to 168.8.

I'm hoping I've gained some muscle weight too. I think I've also managed to get my body fat % down from around 19% to 17%. My initial goal is to get it down to 15%, and from there to keep trying to reduce it to about 12%-10%.

My question is, if I start trying to bulk up at this point, will the fat loss still go ahead at the critical areas (I have a difficult-to-shift bit of fat around the belly and lower abdomen)?

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
Over the last three weeks of combining a meticulous diet with exercise, I have managed to get down 10lbs from when I first weighed in - 178.8 to 168.8.

I'm hoping I've gained some muscle weight too. I think I've also managed to get my body fat % down from around 19% to 17%. My initial goal is to get it down to 15%, and from there to keep trying to reduce it to about 12%-10%.

My question is, if I start trying to bulk up at this point, will the fat loss still go ahead at the critical areas (I have a difficult-to-shift bit of fat around the belly and lower abdomen)?

Hard question to answer, as I don't know your body type or how it responds to weight training, but the bottom line is any kind of activity is going to help you on this quest. The only way you can find out if it's helping speed up the process is to give it a try, at worst you change it up, at best it works and you're that much closer to your goal!

Only by experimentation and time will you figure out what type of exercise/combination of exercises works best for YOU, but you have to give them a try to find out. Don't worry about what works for others, the most important thing is to find out what works great for you that you enjoy doing.

Sounds like you're on the right road...just keep going.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 12:26 AM)
Hard question to answer, as I don't know your body type or how it responds to weight training, but the bottom line is any kind of activity is going to help you on this quest. The only way you can find out if it's helping speed up the process is to give it a try, at worst you change it up, at best it works and you're that much closer to your goal!

Only by experimentation and time will you figure out what type of exercise/combination of exercises works best for YOU, but you have to give them a try to find out. Don't worry about what works for others, the most important thing is to find out what works great for you that you enjoy doing.

Sounds like you're on the right road...just keep going.

I suppose the main thing I'm wondering is if I bulk up a bit of extra muscle, is that likely to increase fat burning and get rid of that stubborn bit around my belly, or will the big eating involved in bulking mean it just sits there as is.

Thusfar, my calorie and macro-nutrient intake has been geared towards weight loss, as opposed to bulking.

The weight routine I've been doing is called MaxWorkouts by Shin Otake, I think his name is. You familiar with it at all?

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)

Take body measurements and forget about your weight.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 04:32 AM)
Take body measurements and forget about your weight.

Yes, I agree, that's been my approach for a long time now. For a couple of years there I had no idea how much I weighed. I only weighed myself three weeks ago for calculating my body fat %. That's where that came from.

What I'm really asking about is fat burning, for that bit around my waist and lower abdomen, rather than actual weight loss.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 06:47 PM)
I suppose the main thing I'm wondering is if I bulk up a bit of extra muscle, is that likely to increase fat burning and get rid of that stubborn bit around my belly, or will the big eating involved in bulking mean it just sits there as is.

Thusfar, my calorie and macro-nutrient intake has been geared towards weight loss, as opposed to bulking.

The weight routine I've been doing is called MaxWorkouts by Shin Otake, I think his name is. You familiar with it at all?

Getting rid of that stubborn fat around your belly takes diet, of course in combination with your exercise regimen. Eating right/clean will kill that fat deposit, and one of the things that will help you do that is by eating good fats (within reason). Fats such as coconut, olive oil, nuts, avocados, etc. It will take time if done properly, but it will happen.

I've heard of the workouts you speak of, but I've not done them. I'm not a huge fan of interval/high intensity training, they tend to tire me out which affects my ability to target specific body parts at full force. It's like doing cardio before strength training...sure, you'll still be able to train, but you'll be tired from the cardio causing you to lift less weight for less reps.