Miggy Cabrera DUI

LittleHurt05

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't see that much coming out of it. It'll blow over in a few weeks, and I love having Cabrera on the Tigers. I wouldn't trade him for anyone.

However, the man really has a problem. I don't want to see this possibly affecting his health even more or his longevity. Hope he gets it worked out, for good this time.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
These aren't just problems like he got drunk and had funny pictures posted. He beat up his wife and got a DUI. Those are serious issues that warrant action from baseball, at the very least the Tigers. The Tigers can easily suspend him, but will they is the question? And the the league should as well. You can't have players doing this s*** without consequence.

The wife incident was determined mutual combat and police couldn't determine who the aggressor was, I am the last person to take beating women in anything but the utmost serious manner, but I am also really careful when those allegations are thrown around. 2nd, he got a DUI, this isn't a debate about how serious they are, but if you get 1 DUI and all the circumstances keep it in a misdemeanor court, then the precedent is you get a chance to prove you screwed up and make good. I sat for years in a courtroom as a public defender that handled mostly DUIs. Most jobs will give you an opportunity if you have a position to work through it, be it my indigent clients or attorney's clients that had higher profile jobs. The problem often comes in for people with jobs because in IL if you don't get your statutory summary suspension thrown out you lose your license for 3 months with a blow greater than .08 or 6 months if you don't blow and that includes a hard 30 days of no driving before a limited driving permit came into effect and now the breath device on a car.

Obviously there are exceptions to people getting punished for their 1st DUI due to certain companies policies or the type of position they hold... but in sports and even in society as a whole, people get 1 chance to prove it was a horribly bad mistake they made.

Let's go beyond that, Josh Hamilton, who, not to minimize Cabrera's obvious issues with alcohol, had a far worse substance abuse history, god knows what he did when he was at or near his bottom. This guy has a relapse in a bar, and "funny pics" were taken... nothing happened to him from the baseball standpoint and in the media many defended him and he just explained it away by saying he was set-up. Obvious difference here is Hamilton did nothing criminal in the known relapse, but in an NFL scenario like many seem to be calling for here, it wouldn't have mattered.

As far as the Tigers go, sure they can do something, but the union will likely fight it. What will probably happen is he'll go into some sort of program within the next week, it will last 30 days, he'll get the last week of ST to get ready and the press will trumpet his triumph when he starts raking in the regular season.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
Lots of baseball players get DUI's, they don't get suspended. Liriano had one a couple years ago. Tony LaRussa had one and then had a player die driving drunk.

I think the Union would win any challenge to a suspension for that.

I agree. They only way this causes him to miss time is if he needs to spend time in rehab during the season, either by his choice or mandated by los Tigres.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 12:02 PM)
I may be wrong, but unless he's a U.S. citizen, not just a resident, I think he can be deported for DUI. Which I endorse, at least until October.

I wonder if he'd be facing additional problems if the Tigers trained in AZ.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
Lots of baseball players get DUI's, they don't get suspended. Liriano had one a couple years ago. Tony LaRussa had one and then had a player die driving drunk.

I think the Union would win any challenge to a suspension for that.

How many get two, plus all of the stuff with the officers in the second case? At the end of the day I doubt Selig does anything about, just because that is his style, but there is no doubt in my mind that he should.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
The wife incident was determined mutual combat and police couldn't determine who the aggressor was, I am the last person to take beating women in anything but the utmost serious manner, but I am also really careful when those allegations are thrown around. 2nd, he got a DUI, this isn't a debate about how serious they are, but if you get 1 DUI and all the circumstances keep it in a misdemeanor court, then the precedent is you get a chance to prove you screwed up and make good. I sat for years in a courtroom as a public defender that handled mostly DUIs. Most jobs will give you an opportunity if you have a position to work through it, be it my indigent clients or attorney's clients that had higher profile jobs. The problem often comes in for people with jobs because in IL if you don't get your statutory summary suspension thrown out you lose your license for 3 months with a blow greater than .08 or 6 months if you don't blow and that includes a hard 30 days of no driving before a limited driving permit came into effect and now the breath device on a car.

Obviously there are exceptions to people getting punished for their 1st DUI due to certain companies policies or the type of position they hold... but in sports and even in society as a whole, people get 1 chance to prove it was a horribly bad mistake they made.

Let's go beyond that, Josh Hamilton, who, not to minimize Cabrera's obvious issues with alcohol, had a far worse substance abuse history, god knows what he did when he was at or near his bottom. This guy has a relapse in a bar, and "funny pics" were taken... nothing happened to him from the baseball standpoint and in the media many defended him and he just explained it away by saying he was set-up. Obvious difference here is Hamilton did nothing criminal in the known relapse, but in an NFL scenario like many seem to be calling for here, it wouldn't have mattered.

As far as the Tigers go, sure they can do something, but the union will likely fight it. What will probably happen is he'll go into some sort of program within the next week, it will last 30 days, he'll get the last week of ST to get ready and the press will trumpet his triumph when he starts raking in the regular season.

Hamilton didn't suffer any police charges for his one night of problems. He didn't get behind the wheel, etc. Not to downplay it.

Also, Hamilton was kicked out of baseball for > 1 year.

QUOTE (Bonderman38 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
I personally don't see that much coming out of it. It'll blow over in a few weeks, and I love having Cabrera on the Tigers. I wouldn't trade him for anyone.

yes...and Hoosier fans said the same thing about Sampson a few years back. We'll see...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
How many get two, plus all of the stuff with the officers in the second case? At the end of the day I doubt Selig does anything about, just because that is his style, but there is no doubt in my mind that he should.

Has baseball ever suspended anyone, as a league, for conduct unrelated to anything happening on the field of play?

Has anyone (Lincecum) ever been suspended for a positive marijuana test?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
Has baseball ever suspended anyone, as a league, for conduct unrelated to anything happening on the field of play?

John Rocker was suspended for his comments in Sports Illustrated.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)

I seem to recall that recreational drugs carry a lighter punishment in major league baseball (something like non-public warning for the first positive, 10 game suspension plus required classes for the second, and then the suspensions get tougher after that). However, it is a much tougher policy in the minor leagues, and I'm pretty sure several, including one of the guys the Mariners got for Lee and I want to say Jeremy Jeffress have been suspended for recreational drugs. Someone from the Sox system was just suspended this past year too (Negron?).

Anyways, to answer your question, I don't believe so.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
This should clarify things a bit:

@jonmorosi Jon Morosi

#MLB doesn’t have a conduct policy that stipulates discipline for players charged with crimes. Don’t expect a suspension w Cabrera. #Tigers

35 minutes ago via web

You can murder someone and still play baseball, but dont take that banned supplement.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)

And we all know Cabrera's home address and driver's license number now. They should have the decency to redact that information before publishing it on the internet.

The Tigers and the MLBPA need to get him into rehab. He's not going to get better on his own.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)

when was his first one? The reports of the wife incident do not report it was a DUI.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)
Hamilton didn't suffer any police charges for his one night of problems. He didn't get behind the wheel, etc. Not to downplay it.

Also, Hamilton was kicked out of baseball for > 1 year.

I do mention that is a difference, but just saying if some people want Bud to apply an NFL standard to these types of things, the Hamilton case would have been a good example of where to do it with.