2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread

Link

The NBA fined Michael Jordan $100,000 for public comments he made last month about the lockout and one of the league's players, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

In an Aug. 19 interview with The Herald Sun, a newspaper in Australia, the Charlotte Bobcats owner spoke extensively about the need for revenue sharing and mentioned Milwaukee Bucks' Australian center Andrew Bogut.

That violated the league's policy that bars team owners and employees from discussing the lockout or any players during the work stoppage. The NBA sent out a league-wide memo just before the lockout began on July 1 stating that anyone who broke the rules could be fined up to $1 million.

Jordan, who along with Bucks owner Herb Kohl recently lobbied other owners to support revenue sharing, told The Herald Sun: "We need a lot of financial support throughout the league as well as revenue sharing to keep this business afloat.

"We have stars like Bogut who are entitled to certain type of demands. But for us to be profitable in small markets, we have to be able to win ballgames and build a better basketball team."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
I know I should be sad, but I am so excited for HS and college ball this year, I almost don't care.

same here because unless I'm betting on a game, I wont even bother turning on the NBA until the playoffs begin.

I do feel horrible for the people who are the hourly workers working the events(parking attendants,concessions,ushers,etc), people who own bars that shows the games,etc. People tend to forget about those people.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 23, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
We are being robbed of precious Derrick Rose moments. AND IT SUCKS STINKY ASS.

It's bad for the game. Some of these players are entering their primes or are still developing and they will be robbed a possible year of it. Very disappointing.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 23, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
I do feel horrible for the people who are the hourly workers working the events(parking attendants,concessions,ushers,etc), people who own bars that shows the games,etc. People tend to forget about those people.

My buddy is a video editor for the NBA and is just dying because of this right now.

http://www.csnchicago.com/09/29/11/Stern-t...tm_medium=email

According to Pro Basketball Talk, NBA commissioner David Stern is threatening the players with the cancellation of the entire 2011-2012 season if the two sides don't make progress towards a deal by the end of the weekend.

Sources close to the situation said that the two sides had talks that progressed enough to warrant larger talks on Friday with the owners and players negotiating committees. But, Stern decided to give an ultimatum on Wednesday.

Stern said, "I'm focused on let's get the two committees in and see whether they can either have a season, and that's what's at risk this weekend."

Stern made it pretty clear to the players that if there wasn't a handshake agreement by the end of the weekend then the first regular season games would be in danger. Stern wants a deal on his terms but nobody is quite clear what his terms are.

Rumors include; a change in the division of basketball related income, a reduction in the exceptions that allow teams to exceed the salary cap and a tax on the teams that exceed it.

Some NBA players have taken to Twitter to express their displeasure with the lockout:

Login or Register with

CSN Chicago Logo

Stern threatening to cancel NBA season

Recommend

Comment(0)

Email

Print

Facebook

RSS

See All Posts >>>

Video: Why you don’t want Kobe taking your penalty kicks

Delonte West says he has a job in a furniture store

Stern, league say no plans to cancel entire season. Yet.

Video: Adrian Wojnarowski updates lockout on NBC’s SportsTalk

What the Wizards should do when the lockout ends...

Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2011

Posted: 10:01 p.m.

CSNChicago.com

According to Pro Basketball Talk, NBA commissioner David Stern is threatening the players with the cancellation of the entire 2011-2012 season if the two sides don't make progress towards a deal by the end of the weekend.

Sources close to the situation said that the two sides had talks that progressed enough to warrant larger talks on Friday with the owners and players negotiating committees. But, Stern decided to give an ultimatum on Wednesday.

Stern said, "I'm focused on let's get the two committees in and see whether they can either have a season, and that's what's at risk this weekend."

Stern made it pretty clear to the players that if there wasn't a handshake agreement by the end of the weekend then the first regular season games would be in danger. Stern wants a deal on his terms but nobody is quite clear what his terms are.

Rumors include; a change in the division of basketball related income, a reduction in the exceptions that allow teams to exceed the salary cap and a tax on the teams that exceed it.

Some NBA players have taken to Twitter to express their displeasure with the lockout:

@BrianCardinal

Brian Cardinal When will the lockout end... Come on already let's HOOP!!!!!

Sep 29 via FacebookFavoriteRetweetReply

Another player showed a different side regarding the lockout:

@ShaneBattier

Shane Battier I believe the reports about the lockout are a tad more optimistic that the reality.

Sep 28 via TweetlogixFavoriteRetweetReply

The owners also want salary rollbacks and the players will not allow league revenue to be decoupled from the salary cap since league revenues will go up with new television deals. The players want a cut of those profits.

If both sides give a little more then there is a chance the deal could get made.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
The good news is that legitimate progress has been made over the last two weeks. The bad news is that Stern may have every intention of destroying the players union by dragging this out.

Stern has the power. Sure, players can make 2.5 million (at best, Kobe) by playing 10 games overseas or whatever, but the marketability, exposure, and opportunity isn't there. The NBA needs a fix, and just like every other time a professional sports league has a lockout, the owners and the league have all the power because they are the ones writing the checks.

I'd like to hope this is progress, and that we'll see some contract amnesty going down soon and Derrick Rose flying around the UC in November, but I'm not holding my breath.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
NBA insider Chris Sheridan said Thursday that he would be surprised if the owners and players don't have a deal done by Tuesday.

I just wet myself. Hope it is true. Pleeeeeease.