Chicago @ Chicago, 06/20, 7:10, WCIU (Sox), CSN (Cubs)

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
2 of the 3 games are on WCIU. :angry:

That's the Sox broadcast. Both of those games will also be on CSN with the Cubs broadcasters. Personally, I will probably listen to the Cubs broadcast anyway, just to avoid the Hawkaroo.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
Honestly, is there anybody left who thinks this? I guess ranger, Chi Soxix or however he spells it and el rockin. Greg depending on whether the moon is full or not.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
lol. Was that you that brought up WAR and how Viciedo would probably add three or four more wins to the Sox over the course of a season? Of course, Ranger's response was the White Sox aren't going to dump Pierre because they have to get some sorta return on their "investment." And that there's still value in a guy that can hit .290.

I don't like Pierre's slappy style of hitting and he's having a bad year defensively and can't throw but I agree there is value in a guy that can hit .290.

I have a question for all the new-wave stat people. I listen to games on the radio and MLB.com and listen to interviews with GMs and the like and the comments made are ALWAYS about the old stats like batting average for hitters, wins for pitchers, ERA for pitchers.

Many of you act like batting average means NOTHING. If so, then why do all the pundits, including the national baseball guys during interviews, never mention these other categories that so impress the stat geeks (said with all due respect, I realize all of you are not geeks in the skinny, glasses-wearing, pocket protector sense of the word).

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
I don't like Pierre's slappy style of hitting and he's having a bad year defensively and can't throw but I agree there is value in a guy that can hit .290.

I have a question for all the new-wave stat people. I listen to games on the radio and MLB.com and listen to interviews with GMs and the like and the comments made are ALWAYS about the old stats like batting average for hitters, wins for pitchers, ERA for pitchers.

Many of you act like batting average means NOTHING. If so, then why do all the pundits, including the national baseball guys during interviews, never mention these other categories that so impress the stat geeks (said with all due respect, I realize all of you are not geeks in the skinny, glasses-wearing, pocket protector sense of the word).

Sabermetrics aren't mainstream yet. They're still relatively underground. But five years from now, nobody is going to be referencing wins and BA to determine a player's true worth. At least that's my prediction, anyway. JP is worthless. I don't care if he hits .290. And even then he'd have to go on a serious hot singles streak to accomplish that.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 06:14 PM)
Sabermetrics aren't mainstream yet. They're still relatively underground. But five years from now, nobody is going to be referencing wins and BA to determine a player's true worth. At least that's my prediction, anyway. JP is worthless. I don't care if he hits .290. And even then he'd have to go on a serious hot singles streak to accomplish that.

They are not mainstream at all.

I never hear anything mentioned except some broadcasts flash on base percentage on the screen next to the batting average. No announcers talk Sabes or ask questions to GMs about sabes. I mean if Pierre is up to .270, that's decent in the mainstream eye. Of course they do talk about stolen bases and caught stealing and he's not good in that anymore.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
I had to make a drive from Michigan yesterday, so I unfortunately got stuck listening to Rongey. Oh my god, his show is beyond horrendous. At one point, Juan Pierre's willingness to sign autographs was being discussed as a reason to let him play.

Yep. I think that was right after I called in. He is a good clubhouse guy and all. Sweet, I don't care, let him rot on the bench, that's fine. Just don't write him into the starting lineup.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
pierre7, omar4, q9, pk3, dunnDH, ram6, aj2, rios8, teahen5

Not surprised to see Omar but a little surprising to see Teahen again. Would rather they have Omar at 3B and Lilli in at 2B. Or just start Morel

Brent Morel was put in the 2 spot on Saturday and responded with a solid double to RF and scored the first run of the game.

Being put on the bench is the only way he'll understand how big of a mistake that was.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
Brent Morel was put in the 2 spot on Saturday and responded with a solid double to RF and scored the first run of the game.

Being put on the bench is the only way he'll understand how big of a mistake that was.

Good point, I forgot.

In all seriousness though, he hasn't exactly sucked lately. Not showing much power but he's been putting the bat on the ball and improving. He's a rookie and showing improvement, he should be playing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)

Rios has hit HRs in back-to-back days, and he moves down in the order. Makes sense, too. Cubs also have more speed than usual and more apt to bunt, so I would much rather have Morel than Teahen at third.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
Rios has hit HRs in back-to-back days, and he moves down in the order. Makes sense, too. Cubs also have more speed than usual and more apt to bunt, so I would much rather have Morel than Teahen at third.

I will give Teahen credit, he did field well yesterday.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)

He only moved down because we're adding the DH (Dunn) who is ahead of him. He's still second to last in the order (pitcher spot doesn't count)

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
Good point, I forgot.

In all seriousness though, he hasn't exactly sucked lately. Not showing much power but he's been putting the bat on the ball and improving. He's a rookie and showing improvement, he should be playing.

No, he has not. Hitting .279 in June. If this guy was playing every day, or at least 5 times a week, he would probably have his average up to .270-.280 range by now.