Chicago @ Chicago, 06/20, 7:10, WCIU (Sox), CSN (Cubs)

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
This question might have been asked here before, but can the Cubs still let Zambrano bat tonight if they wanted? Can he still be the DH even though he is pitching? I know it's an AL park with AL rules, but Zambrano can hit.

If Z starts out as a hitter, while pitching, the Cubs lose the DH for that game.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
I don't like Pierre's slappy style of hitting and he's having a bad year defensively and can't throw but I agree there is value in a guy that can hit .290.

I have a question for all the new-wave stat people. I listen to games on the radio and MLB.com and listen to interviews with GMs and the like and the comments made are ALWAYS about the old stats like batting average for hitters, wins for pitchers, ERA for pitchers.

Many of you act like batting average means NOTHING. If so, then why do all the pundits, including the national baseball guys during interviews, never mention these other categories that so impress the stat geeks (said with all due respect, I realize all of you are not geeks in the skinny, glasses-wearing, pocket protector sense of the word).

Mainstream media writers or on-air personalities still have to sell a product, and quoting SABR doesn't sell it yet. If they don't use it in their own analysis then they're not very good at their job, or make up for it by being "colorful." You realize BA, ERA, etc are generally components of new statistics, correct? At least in some fashion. They're a better understanding of a player's true value or skill based on what's become available to us in the age of unlimited data and tracking.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
Haha, I had to turn it off after my diatribe. But I just couldn't understand his rationale that the Sox need to keep putting Pierre out since they are "all in," and needing to get their money out of their investments. If they are truly "all in," then winning is clearly the highest priority of the organization, which should thus dictate benching Pierre in favor of Viciedo.

I'm impressed that you guys can actually stomach any of the post game shows at all. Between horrendous callers and Rongey toeing the company line, it's impossible to listen to imo.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)
Is this a major league team? Who are these guys?!

QUOTE (maki @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:37 PM)
Mainstream media writers or on-air personalities still have to sell a product, and quoting SABR doesn't sell it yet. If they don't use it in their own analysis then they're not very good at their job, or make up for it by being "colorful." You realize BA, ERA, etc are generally components of new statistics, correct? At least in some fashion. They're a better understanding of a player's true value or skill based on what's become available to us in the age of unlimited data and tracking.

Thanks for the jinx. I now guarantee Pena will go deep at least twice. Maybe 3 times.

And Zambrano is capable of mowing us down.

2.) then none of them are good at their job, cause nobody uses that stuff. Hawk Harrelson?? He'd laugh in your face with some of these new mega stats.