Sox versus Tigers Game Thread

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
I actually want 3-9, but 6-6 is more likely just to keep the status quo intact for KW and Ozzie to keep the same corpse-mix on the field....

Why are you still following the team if you want them to lose?

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
I actually want 3-9, but 6-6 is more likely just to keep the status quo intact for KW and Ozzie to keep the same corpse-mix on the field....

I'll cheer like crazy for this team for the next two weeks. If we're 6+ or more games out of it in two weeks, I'll actively root against them. I just hope KW doesn't say to himself, "hey, we've got two months to go and we're still just six games back, we're still in this thing." And trade Dayan for some overpaid, past his prime trash.

Edited by Jordan4life

I'm super excited for games to be starting up again. Hopefully we don't continue to be a mediocre team on pace to win about 78 games. Either have a .550 win percentage the rest of the way or just tank like crazy. I have absolutely no problem with a disaster 2nd half where we end up trading Jackson, Quentin, and a few others. The next 3 months should really be a turning point with this organization one way or another.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
Why are you still following the team if you want them to lose?

Honestly, it's IMPOSSIBLE to not follow this team for as much as I hate the way their constructed and managed etc. It's an addiction like anything else. I'm rooting for change. That's why I want 3-9.

Of course there's a small part in my brain that wants a 56-14 miracle run where they win 100 games, and of course the more tempered 89 wins and squeak out a division title cause who knows? But reality sets in and I know they'll just struggle. They've shown no signs to expect anything different. It bums me out.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)
Even when they're realistically and mathematically eliminated? Wouldn't you rather have a better draft pick as opposed to winning 79 games instead of 72?

I think it's because MLB draft picks take a while to get to the majors & a lot of the draft is hit or miss, I personally root for them to win 79 instead of 72. I fully understand a better draft pick could help the team more, but I'd just rather see them win a few more games. It doesn't give me the same mind-set as the NBA/NFL, where your draft pick will immediately help you the next season.

Unless they are fun-bad, then I can root for the loss cause it's entertaining.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
I think it's because MLB draft picks take a while to get to the majors & a lot of the draft is hit or miss, I personally root for them to win 79 instead of 72. I fully understand a better draft pick could help the team more, but I'd just rather see them win a few more games. It doesn't give me the same mind-set as the NBA/NFL, where your draft pick will immediately help you the next season.

But what about a situation where a few extra wins move you into the 2nd part of the first round, which makes you eligible to lose the picks due to free agent signings?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)

Would you root for an 82-80 season with them missing out on the division by 7 games if it means that Ozzie and KW keep their jobs?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)
Would you root for an 82-80 season with them missing out on the division by 7 games if it means that Ozzie and KW keep their jobs?

It's tough because I can't actually cheer against the sox while watching. My solution to wanting them to lose is to stop watching.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
Buster Olney:

If they get a high-end starter..... eek.

It's very likely they acquire one of the better pitchers or a third baseman like Mark Reynolds. I can't see them trading Turner, but Oliver seems like a great trade chip to use.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
It's very likely they acquire one of the better pitchers or a third baseman like Mark Reynolds. I can't see them trading Turner, but Oliver seems like a great trade chip to use.

Edwin Jackson is the best available starter out there. :bang