Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
If Dayan is healthy I honestly dont think we lose much by plugging him in RF when Q gets dealt.

Yeah it was just a cup of coffee and a whole lot of time being benched. Last season when DV was up, he put up an .840 OPS. Carlos is currently putting up an .863 OPS.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree giving up our second best hitter in the middle of a pennant race when the offense is already as bad as it is...

This goes hand in hand with my previous quote. I just don't see the team getting very far if in fact it can limp into the playoffs. I would see us as once and done in the NLDS.

I don't want to trade CQ but if you get blown away with a deal from ATL or PHI you just have to do it. It hurts us in the short term but I truly believe that Viciedo would soften the blow enough where we can still compete this year since our pitching is so good and the division is so weak. Also, CQ is always a health risk and super, super streaky. The idea of adding a player like Dom Brown is exciting, even if it remains unlikely.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
This goes hand in hand with my previous quote. I just don't see the team getting very far if in fact it can limp into the playoffs. I would see us as once and done in the NLDS.

Of course, you think our offense would handle the Phillies or Giants pitching staff?

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)

In the playoffs you really can throw the regular season out the window. And we have pitching that can shut down a team on any given night. We'd absolutely have a chance to do something IMO

If this stuff being bantered around the media is true than Q has to be gone at the end of this weekend, just has to.

And as others have said, throw Rios in right until Dayan is ready to go.

Rowand, the way Ozzie and KW have been crazy stubborn this year to hang on to their own pipe dreams, I don't know what will happen. It really makes sense now to sell both CQ and Danks high but i just don't know what to expect from KW.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
Yeah it was just a cup of coffee and a whole lot of time being benched. Last season when DV was up, he put up an .840 OPS. Carlos is currently putting up an .863 OPS.

Trading Q would be an awful move and purely about salary and arbitration next year. He's our second best hitter and our offense is already pathetic. He's young also. I don't agree at all. If we somehow managed to get into the playoffs, our staff could carry us

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
Trading Q would be an awful move and purely about salary and arbitration next year. He's our second best hitter and our offense is already pathetic. He's young also. I don't agree at all. If we somehow managed to get into the playoffs, our staff could carry us

No, it'd clearly be about the things you got back for trading him.

In the playoffs you really can throw the regular season out the window. And we have pitching that can shut down a team on any given night. We'd absolutely have a chance to do something IMO

I respect that, I just think with our feast or famine offense (More famine than feast) we will get shut down by Boston's pitching staff if we meet them in the NLDS. But you are right anything can happen in the playoffs.

FWIW, here's what a Braves fan friend of mine had to say about Beachy:

mediocre stuff at best, but very smart and with great control.... he usually is quite good because of that, though when he has an off day and the control isn't there he gets killed.... basically, awesome #4

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
Forgive me for thinking Kenny screws this up and we end up with marginal talent

I just don't see that happening. Quentin is one of the best hitters on the market at position that several contenders need. We are still technically in the playoff hunt ourselves and cutting salary in the Jackson/Teahen allows us to afford him the rest of the way if we choose.

Teams will really have to entice us to move him. I think there will be less BS offers too, which will allow KW to really gauge Quentin's value. Therefore, if he decides to move him, I think we'll get a very nice return. The question will come down to which package he should accept. I just don't see how you can pass up on a Brown-centered deal. He and Viciedo would look great in LF and RF for the next six years. Having said that, I'd be happy to take some young pitching prospects from the Braves, although that's got a higher chance of busting.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)
I respect that, I just think with our feast or famine offense (More famine than feast) we will get shut down by Boston's pitching staff if we meet them in the NLDS. But you are right anything can happen in the playoffs.

Why you keep saying NLDS? :lol:

I wonder if the haul that Beltran got has something to do with the raised price of CQ.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)

That's about the polar opposite of what it would be.

If Dayan is healthy I honestly dont think we lose much by plugging him in RF when Q gets dealt.

In his major league career, Carlos has BB/HBP in 12.3% of his PA. In the minors/majors combines, Dayan has BB/HBP in 5.7% of his PA. It takes an awfully good AVG/SLG to make up for that kind of difference long term, especially on a team that already has too many guys in Dayan's category of plate discipline and not enough in Carlos'.

I'm not saying that you don't make the trade if the return is good enough, but all those free bases will be missed, and opposing starters will be throwing 10+ fewer pitches the first two times through the lineup.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)
FWIW, here's what a Braves fan friend of mine had to say about Beachy:

mediocre stuff at best, but very smart and with great control.... he usually is quite good because of that, though when he has an off day and the control isn't there he gets killed.... basically, awesome #4

I'm not a huge fan. Seems like he'd struggle with the long ball in the AL. I'd rather get some of their prospects.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
In his major league career, Carlos has BB/HBP in 12.3% of his PA. In the minors/majors combines, Dayan has BB/HBP in 5.7% of his PA. It takes an awfully good AVG/SLG to make up for that kind of difference long term, especially on a team that already has too many guys in Dayan's category of plate discipline and not enough in Carlos'.

I'm not saying that you don't make the trade if the return is good enough, but all those free bases will be missed, and opposing starters will be throwing 10+ fewer pitches the first two times through the lineup.

Dayan's plate discipline has improved by about a million times this year so using his career stats for that is insanely misleading.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)

If you're taking Dayan Viciedo's career minor league walk rate to mean anything then you flat out haven't paid any attention to his development.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 06:50 PM)
I never thought that after 2008, Quentin would actually be UNDERRATED by Soxtalk.

I think he's a great player. His defense this year has been just amazing compared to last year. I'd miss him, but if we're not going to have the money to extend him after next year, then right now is the perfect time to cash in on him.