Ozzie confirms Rios will be in lineup tomorrow

macsandz

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rios loafing like this is an insult to the entire city (cept Cubs fans).

Rios is probably the worst excuse for a player in Sox history. Dunn is the worst player; Rios the worst excuse for a player.

DeAza every day!

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 08:18 PM)
This was actually preplanned. I guess they decided to give him some starts back against lefties and see how he does.

Flowers rots on the bench after Castro gets hurt.Viciedo stays in the minors for crucial games against the Twins. DeAza comes up and KW proclaims it's a message to the whole team. Everyone is getting the message loud and clear. If you suck with a big contract you will get PT.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
Said it in his post game presser

After tonight's inexcusable performance AND what KW said publicly just days ago...?

This team just insists on killing any kind of momentum. On the field and off.

I missed the game tonight, what did Rios do?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 12:18 AM)
Sucked as usual hitting and let a runner score from 1st on a hit and run single to right center.

Did he have a chance to throw the guy out? Or was he pulling the usual jog to the ball, toss it to the cutoff man BS?

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 12:23 AM)
Did he have a chance to throw the guy out? Or was he pulling the usual jog to the ball, toss it to the cutoff man BS?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_...7480277&v=3

You'd think he'd be extra vigilant in the field given the De Aza wakeup call but alas he doesn't seem to give a s***.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 06:23 AM)

He loafed in retrieving the ball. It's as if the runner knew it was Rios out there and never slowed down on a single. He scored from first base.

In all fairness, the runner (Reddick) was going on the pitch and has good speed...but ZERO excuses for the lackadaisical effort.

Ozzie criticized him more in the post-game for the throw itself (which Gordon also dropped), but the maddening part was the way he took about 4-5 steps and then made the most casual throw in the world, taking his time like he was playing soft-toss catch with his 8 year old son in Central Park or on the beach.

Edited by caulfield12

1) Because Ozzie already committed to play him against lefties Lester/Andrew Miller/Sabathia

2) Because he wanted to give Juan Pierre the day off tmrw and play Lillibridge in LF

3) Because even though DeAza hit over .300 against lefties in Charlotte, he doesn't believe any LH hitter except Dunn/Pierre/AJ should ever start against a LHP

4) Because he wants to make KW look bad...or himself...not sure which

"I'm not going to throw in the towel (on him)," said manager Ozzie Guillen, who plans to start Rios again Sunday. "I'm not protecting him like people think." (sure you're not!)

"That (Red Sox runner, Reddick) should have been at third, no doubt. The bad thing about that play was (Rios') throw to second base."

"I know it's not easy when you're not playing well and people are on you every play, every at-bat. But this is Chicago. You have to be tough. You have to perform."www.chicagotribune.com/sports

KW's "Chicago Tough" quote rears its ugly head again.

Edited by caulfield12

I love the way Orsillo and Remy describe Rios' play in the field: sloppy x2, relaxed, laidback, taking his time, casual, granting the run. Good stuff.

It's probably silly but I find it shocking how little Rios cares about his baseball legacy: he's burned bridges in 2 cities now, those fans will remember him forever and his lasting impression will be one of indolence and apathy. I can't imagine it turning around, I just don't see it in him, some way or another he'll be purged from the roster sometime relatively soon but he'll live on in Sox lore as one of our all-time greatest washouts.

Or maybe I'm just upset.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 01:00 AM)
I love the way Orsillo and Remy describe Rios' play in the field: sloppy x2, relaxed, laidback, taking his time, casual, granting the run. Good stuff.

It's probably silly but I find it shocking how little Rios cares about his baseball legacy: he's burned bridges in 2 cities now, those fans will remember him forever and his lasting impression will be one of indolence and apathy. I can't imagine it turning around, I just don't see it in him, some way or another he'll be purged from the roster sometime relatively soon but he'll live on in Sox lore as one of our all-time greatest washouts.

Or maybe I'm just upset.

Nope, everything you said was spot on.

Surprisingly, manager Ozzie Guillen wasn’t overly upset with the play.

“I’m not going to throw the towel in; I’m not going to protect him like everybody thinks I am,” Guillen said. “I think that guy (Reddick) should be at third base, no doubt. The bad thing about that play was the bad throw to second base.

“He made a bad throw to second base and that’s why he scored. If he threw the ball right there, there’s going to be a play at the plate. But the guy was running with the pitch. I think if he made a good throw to Gordon it’s a different thing.”

Guillen has remained in Rios’ corner through all the turmoil this season, but the manager does wonder why a guy with a $70 million contract has simply shut down the engines.

“I’m not down on him,” Guillen said. “Just go out there and play the game right. You’ve got your money, you’ve got a beautiful family, everybody’s healthy, you’ve got everything you want. Why do you let this game bother you?

“Why not have a little more fun playing the game? If you say you really enjoy this game … I don’t see that in him. I think every at-bat is killing him. Every at-bat, he worries about it.”

Rios declined to talk about his situation Friday and again after Saturday’s loss.

General manager Kenny Williams — the man responsible for claiming Rios off waivers from Toronto almost two years ago — also was the one who said the outfielder should be on the bench.

“My message was not so much directed at Alex Rios, in terms of giving him a kick in the pants,” Williams said. “My message was more so a message to everyone that we’re here to win.

“We’re here to put the best players out there, who are going to fight the hardest, bust their tail the hardest, regardless of contract size, regardless of their history in the game, just play to win from here on out.”

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011073.../#ixzz1TbbKf5VK

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 12:56 AM)
KW's "Chicago Tough" quote rears its ugly head again.

What a joke. Chicago is not exactly an icon for winning sports dynasties. (except the Bulls) Tough means mediocre when it comes to Chicago. That's almost as bad as "Bear Weather".