2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Holmberg is off to a good start for high-A. He'll probably be in AA befoire his 21st birthday. Thanks, Kenny!

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...&pid=571787

As I have already said, that's my only gripe with that trade, then and now. There was NO REASON that Holmberg should have been added in.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 05:51 PM)
As I have already said, that's my only gripe with that trade, then and now. There was NO REASON that Holmberg should have been added in.

We don't know that and it's probably dead wrong.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 10:25 PM)
We don't know that and it's probably dead wrong.

He clearly meant that in his opinion Dan Hudson was more than enough for Edwin Jackson and the fact our gm included another good pitching prospect is laughable. Overall I'm a KW fan but he has made a few major screwups these past few seasons.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 05:31 AM)
He clearly meant that in his opinion Dan Hudson was more than enough for Edwin Jackson and the fact our gm included another good pitching prospect is laughable. Overall I'm a KW fan but he has made a few major screwups these past few seasons.

Yeah I know what he meant, but odds are Hudson wasn't enough for Jackson.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
Michael Bowden DFA'd by Boston, wonder if we make a claim, but he will have many suitors. Did anyone get Brandon Allen?

Why did they bail on him? Seems rash.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
Why did they bail on him? Seems rash.

He isn't that good and the Red Sox have plenty of better 5th starter guys (Aaron Cook, etc)

Some team like the Astros or Twins that need lots of pitching help should get him.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
He isn't that good and the Red Sox have plenty of better 5th starter guys (Aaron Cook, etc)

Some team like the Astros or Twins that need lots of pitching help should get him.

He's 25 and a competent MLB arm. He has to have more value than a DFA.

Sickels on Mitchell:

*It's early, but Chicago White Sox outfield prospect Jared Mitchell may have resurrected his status as a prospect. Drafted in the first round out of Louisiana State in 2009, he missed all of 2010 following a horrific ankle injury. He returned in 2011 but was less than effective for Winston-Salem in the Carolina League, hitting just .222/.304/.377 last year with an obscene strikeout rate, 184 whiffs in 477 at-bats.

2012 looks completely different. Playing for Double-A Birmingham, Mitchell is hitting .333/.490/.564 through 12 games, with three doubles, three triples, 11 walks, and 12 strikeouts. He's still fanning too much for comfort, but is drawing more walks and showing more pop this year. He is also reportedly playing better defense in center field after struggling with his routes last year, probably an after-effect of the injury. Right now, Mitchell looks more like the player the White Sox thought they were getting when they drafted him. Even last year, his work ethic and drive to succeed were never in question.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/4/17/2...-2012#storyjump

What Scouts are Saying: Nestor Molina

Few pitching prospects outside of the Top 100 have more of a spotlight on them than White Sox right-hander Nestor Molina. He became the top pitching prospect in the White Sox minor-league system after being acquired from Toronto for closer Sergio Santos, and one of the few hopes for the team among their upper-level squads. While he's continuing to throw strikes at Double-A Birmingham, walking just one over his first 16 2/3 innings, his 5.40 ERA and 21 hits allowed show there's still much work to be done. “He shows good movement on a 91-93 mph fastball and pretty good feel for three secondary pitches in a curveball, change, and splitter, but I just don't like his slider,” explained a National League scout. “He shows flashes, but still just flashes, including pitchability, but he tries to get too cute at times as well.” Still, despite overall minor-league numbers that are impressive, he's more of a command-and-control pitcher than one with the kind of stuff to make an impact, and hopes that he could play a big role with the White Sox this year should probably be set aside. “I think he could be a solid No. 4 starter,” concluded the scout. “But he still really needs to learn how to use all of his stuff, and I would be surprised to see him have success in a major-league rotation in 2012.”

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=16522

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 06:31 AM)

Exactly. I didn't have a problem with Hudson for Edwin. Future talent for current talent. But throwing in Holmberg was the tipping point for me.

I'm really looking forward to Molina's and Castro's next starts. Who's with me?

Molina tonite. Castro Sunday (I'm guessing) for the Barons. These guys could be a big part of the near future and redemption for KW.

Or not. :unsure:

Any way to watch said games free online?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 06:07 PM)
I'm really looking forward to Molina's and Castro's next starts. Who's with me?

Molina tonite. Castro Sunday (I'm guessing) for the Barons. These guys could be a big part of the near future and redemption for KW.

Or not. :unsure:

Any way to watch said games free online?

Regions Park has no cameras.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)
Regions Park has no cameras.

Yeah, I saw that the Barons don't participate in the MiLB TV offering. Just all of the IL and PCL teams, with a very small amount of AA coverage. Too bad.

Hopefully they'll upgrade the MiLB Gameday info to include the pitch details at some point in the near future.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
Those type of write-ups don't get me excited. I'm a stuff guy. Watching Sale last night and thinking...that was exciting.

I think he profiles a lot like Huddy. Time will tell.