Greg Walker

oldsox

Do we really need a thread on this? I'm tempted to Diamond-club it. He's not the White Sox hitting coach. This is unrelated to the White Sox. I missed a chance last week to actually meet him and Heyward in person, they did an appearance here that I found out about later.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
Do we really need a thread on this? I'm tempted to Diamond-club it. He's not the White Sox hitting coach. This is unrelated to the White Sox. I missed a chance last week to actually meet him and Heyward in person, they did an appearance here that I found out about later.

Please move it to DC.

I have not a single bad feeling toward Greg Walker. He was our hitting coach when we won the World Series. I think that he might have helped guys like Konerko, Dye, Crede. Recently for whatever reason it wasn't working with our current team. I believe that he tried his hardest.

A change of hitting coach is good for us. Change is probably good for Walker as well. He is from Georgia and it might be a good fit with the Braves.. The fact that the Braves took Walker quickly after we released him tells me that he is probably respected as a hitting coach by other organizations.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)
I have not a single bad feeling toward Greg Walker. He was our hitting coach when we won the World Series. I think that he might have helped guys like Konerko, Dye, Crede. Recently for whatever reason it wasn't working with our current team. I believe that he tried his hardest.

A change of hitting coach is good for us. Change is probably good for Walker as well... The fact that the Braves took Walker quickly after we released him tells me that he is probably respected as a hitting coach by other organizations.

No really bad feelings towards him either- mainly because you're playing baseball at the pro level. You should take it upon yourself to study film and identify the culprit behind all those golden sombreros or dribblers that are fielded and thrown to first while the crack of the bat is still ringing in the air. In my opinion, a hitting coach is like a someone who watches a French movie with a fluent French speaker, and reads them the English subtitles as they appear on the bottom of the screen anyway.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

From all accounts Walker is a hard working guy with a good attitude. Guys like Konerko have had nothing but great things to say about him. Hitting coach is a position that gets little credit and much blame. Hoping he does well, because at the end of the day he never did anything disrespectful to the Sox. He showed up every day and maybe he didnt get the results the fans, etc wanted.

I also have a feeling he may have a better shot in a clubhouse that doesnt have a Manager like Guillen.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
We scoffed whenever it was mentioned that Walker was respected around baseball. I think it was time, I believe hitting coaches and pitching coaches receive too much blame *and* too much credit.

John Shoop was thought of having a brilliant football mind and an up and coming coach in the NFL as well, just because guys are respected or highly thought of doesn't mean they are good at their job. Obviously Walker can only do so much but outside of being a hard worker I don't think he has shown much.