What are your feelings on new tagline "Appreciate the Game"?

caulfield12

It's terrible. Cowley has capitalized jumping all over it on Twitter. I hate to say it, but I'm prone to agree with him on this one. It says to me, "come out to the park and enjoy the game regardless of the product on the field." Not a winning attitude.

Edited by SmashROT

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SmashROT @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 02:32 PM)
It's terrible. Cowley has capitalized jumping all over it on Twitter. I hate to say it, but I'm prone to agree with him on this one. It says to me, "come out to the park and enjoy the game regardless of the product on the field." Not a winning attitude.

Cowley is only jumping on it because of the implicit idea that the leader of last year's squad had given up appreciating the game and his position and was on to appreciating money and celebrity.

I think it's funny because it definitely screams defeat, but it doesn't bother me because ad campaigns do not affect the product on the field one iota. What are they supposed to do? Pretend that they're going to be good? That'd be tone-deaf and kind of insulting to our intelligence. And they can't say nothing at all...they need to try and smooth this season over with the fan base somehow, so why not go with this approach.

The only thing that kind of rings hollow with me is the idea that the average fan appreciate's the game for its own sake. I think the average fan appreciates winning and the game is a convenient medium. The ones who likely appreciate the game in its own right are probably the hardcore people who don't need winning over. It's a minor quibble and I don't have a better suggestion.

I really don't care either way, just win. But...

My opinion is that baseball should be light, not heavy. I'd like to see more comedy in the advertising, and not black and white shots of seriousness. Baseball is supposed to be fun. Market it that way.

Well, I'm sure Brooks would prefer something a BIT better than a 2-8 record so far.

That's next to last in the major leagues, ahead of only the Braves at 1-10.

Four teams are 3-7.

It would be nice if we actually made some cuts like the other teams have already done so that the Sox would be more competitive with the rest of MLB.

Funny, last season Veeck and I tossed a couple emails back and forth and I mentioned to him that being a lifelong Sox fans means having to appreciate the game. In fifty or sixty years of watching there will be more playoff-less years than playoff years. Basically it was the same comments I made in a thread last year that a few people here ripped me a new asshole for.

So how dare the team tell me how to be a fan?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
Who cares what the tagline is? People put way too much time into nothing but a commercial campaign.

Just like bad contracts cripple the team, loss of revenue from sales also hurts the team. If you believe dollars and cents = wins and loses and vice versa, you have to care. So yeah, I agree with you, why care.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
Just like bad contracts cripple the team, loss of revenue from sales also hurts the team. If you believe dollars and cents = wins and loses and vice versa, you have to care. So yeah, I agree with you, why care.

Eh ... I agree with Mike. It don't mean crap in the long run.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)

How many people out there wait for the advertising campaign to buy tickets?

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
Well and you raise another good point. It's not like prices have come down.

Last year was the emptiest I have seen The Cell since I've been going there. The only upside was that you could pretty much sit where you wanted because the ushers weren't going to chase you away. I remember feeling bad for the vendors in the UD because they had no business and often were gone just a few innings into the game.

Okay I guess one other upside was that you could get on Stubhub and get fantastic seats for a steal. You got no such deals trying to buy Sox tix through their site.

The Sox can schedule all the special days and bobblehead promotions they want but those gimmicks won't save them if this team ends up skidding throughout the entire season. As somebody once plainly said: winning sells tickets.

And yes, LOL, the "Appreciate the Game" tag line seems like surrender already.

um...prices DID go down. we had a whole thread about it back in early days of the offseason

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
How many people out there wait for the advertising campaign to buy tickets?

The same number that buy toothpaste, beer, cars, shoes, etc from a great advertising campaign. It's the casual fan, the once or twice a season fan the advertising works on, not us. Why else would teams spend money on advertising?

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 09:53 PM)
The same number that buy toothpaste, beer, cars, shoes, etc from a great advertising campaign. It's the casual fan, the once or twice a season fan the advertising works on, not us. Why else would teams spend money on advertising?

I would bet it is less than you think. It isn't like a toothpaste loses players to free agency, or trades for prospects.