White Sox @ Texas Rangers April 6 OPENING DAY GAME THREAD

When you have the luxury of using Addison Reed in the 7th inning, and it's the first game of the season, it's the right decision.

And not just because it actually worked, but we have a deep bullpen for a reason.

You can argue that Fukudome should have been PH for Rios, but it's a bit early to undermine the confidence of what has to be one of our most important players in Rios, whether we like it or not.

The real question will be how much rope Ventura will give to an Alex Rios before he starts PHing for him.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 09:49 PM)
When you have the luxury of using Addison Reed in the 7th inning, and it's the first game of the season, it's the right decision.

And not just because it actually worked, but we have a deep bullpen for a reason.

You can argue that Fukudome should have been PH for Rios, but it's a bit early to undermine the confidence of what has to be one of our most important players in Rios, whether we like it or not.

The real question will be how much rope Ventura will give to an Alex Rios before he starts PHing for him.

Great post!

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
Somehow I have a feeling that Escobar going to be our starting 3B before this season over. I know that it is only one game but that is my feeling.

Or starting 2B

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
Wow. Isn't Danks suppose to be our ace. Have to show confidence in him. He could have handled 8 and 9 in the order. Maybe take him out for Kinsler but at least Danks could have handled their 8-9 hitter.

That's a really passive aggressive way to tell him he's an ace. "Hey, go get the last 2 guys in the lineup, then I'm pulling you. You can't get Kinsler out for s***."

I'd rather see him come out early, not get spent, and get the quality start. Plus, let the BP get their toes wet.

Despite his ST success, Escobar's probably never going to have the stick to be more than a super-utility guy.

Just going on his minor league track record. If he becomes the equivalent of Jose Oquendo or Joe McEwing, that would be great.

If we're ever going to replace Morel, it's going to be with Lillibridge or McPherson (if he's still with the organization, not sure).

Still had a chance to pinch hit with Fukudome for Morel in Morel's 4th AB. Morel already had struck out 3 times. And if Fuku gets on then Dunn would have been up with a runner on base. Have a decent bench, seemed like some good spots to use Fuku especially for Morel.

Morel isn't being replaced this year, as even if he struggles all year, they'll point to his big finish last season as proof he can finish strong. You have to give Beckham, Morel and Viciedo the full season to prove their MLB ability. If Beckham stinks this year, then you absolutely don't bring him back.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
That's a really passive aggressive way to tell him he's an ace. "Hey, go get the last 2 guys in the lineup, then I'm pulling you. You can't get Kinsler out for s***."

I'd rather see him come out early, not get spent, and get the quality start. Plus, let the BP get their toes wet.

Well, actually, I have no problem having him face Kinsler again. That is true. He is our ace. Have him get out his Achilles Heel in the game and boost Danks' confidence. Danks is a workhorse. Let him pitch.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
I kinda didn't like how Ventura managed this game and I have been supporting him.

Morel batting second? He never has batted second before and boy did he look uncomfortable.

Having De Aza try to steal second with Dunn up there and of course Dunn walks

Taking Danks out early in a close game kinda is a give up move. Not thinking about possibly extra inning game.

Not using a pinch hitter for Morel or Beckham or Rios

etc

I didn't mind getting Danks out. Guillen alway overpitched guys...it's opening day. We have a long season to go.

Morel batted second some last year...same type results. It was worth a shot, but one game is enough for this project. He needs to be ninth. I'd rather have AJ batting 2nd first pitch hacking than see Morel look completely clueless up there.

I'm hoping as the season goes along, if the struggles continue for Morel and Becks, that they are staggered out of the line-up so neither is in there at the same time. It's pretty much impossible to bat them 8-9 if they are just sure outs.

De Aza attempting a steal is fine. Gotta test the waters.

We still banged out quite a few hits. The combination of that giant strike zone and Lewis' command would be tough on anybody. There's no way Beckham or Morel had a chance out there today against that slider. I have some optimism with this lineup as it seems like we can hurt you anywhere in the order...hopefully.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
Wow. Isn't Danks suppose to be our ace. Have to show confidence in him. He could have handled 8 and 9 in the order. Maybe take him out for Kinsler but at least Danks could have handled their 8-9 hitter.

Danks isn't an ace on a contending team.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
We still banged out quite a few hits. The combination of that giant strike zone and Lewis' command would be tough on anybody. There's no way Beckham or Morel had a chance out there today against that slider. I have some optimism with this lineup as it seems like we can hurt you anywhere in the order...hopefully.

There is certainly a lot to chew on after today.

More than Morel and Becks, I just don't think that Rios is ever going to be good again. I mean...the second half of 2010, ALL of 2011, a bad spring...at some point the guys just done being productive.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)

Ha me too I rather blame the ump and an unknown strike zone than think Beckham and Morel will continue to suck.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
4 K's and an error that led to the go ahead run? Good to get your worst day out of the way early.

The first one wasn't an error, but it did allow Hamilton to get to 2nd base. Beltre was out at first, but Young followed with the hit to give them the 3-2 lead.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
Oh you know this won't be the worst game by far .

Still competed, Johnny hung in there. Lots of positives. Just don't want Robin's managing career to get off on the same foot as his batting career....!

That's what I get for praising Morel in a thread and being excited at him hitting second.

What a disastrous game for him.

Beauty of baseball is he doesn't have to wait long to try to redeem himself.

Eight hits and some walks and only two runs? We've seen that before.

Let's face it, one of those 42 games per season that could have gone either way.

You just want to get at least 1/3 in Texas and hopefully 2/3 or 1/3 in CLE, as long as you don't start the season 0-6 or 1-5.

The Rangers weren't in the World Series the last two years for no reason. Lewis is a very crafty pitcher, he had our hitters behind all game long, second-guessing themselves, throwing first pitch strikes, taking pitches they should have swung at and swinging at pitcher's pitches.

That's what a good pitcher does. He doesn't throw more than 89-91, but he definitely knows how to pitch, a poor man's Greg Maddux.