AJ Did Not Test Positive; No Story Here

flavum

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
Why is it "not looking good"?

Because sometimes where there's smoke, there's fire. All it takes is for one person to talk.

And if something is under appeal, it could take weeks to come to a conclusion. There's plenty of time for rumors to go around.

But hopefully there is nothing legit here. Time will tell, or not.

Ok, I'm done talking about this.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
Because sometimes where there's smoke, there's fire. All it takes is for one person to talk.

And if something is under appeal, it could take weeks to come to a conclusion. There's plenty of time for rumors to go around.

But hopefully there is nothing legit here. Time will tell, or not.

Ok, I'm done talking about this.

Its a rumor, most rumors are false. In that sense, since no one is reporting it, its "looking good".

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Its a rumor, most rumors are false. In that sense, since no one is reporting it, its "looking good".

If Mark Gonzalez is hearing rumors of it then it has more substance. There are just so many things going against AJ, including the current MLB environment where players are still getting busted too frequently.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:52 AM)
I'd be crushed if this were true.

Based on what we've seen in MLB's recent history, there absolutely cannot be any shock over this. His best power numbers at age 35, plus a free agent year.

I'm not talking about rumors, just saying --he's using-- regardless of this 'report'

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
If Mark Gonzalez is hearing rumors of it then it has more substance. There are just so many things going against AJ, including the current MLB environment where players are still getting busted too frequently.

He heard the rumor but couldn't confirm it. Just like you heard the rumor. He hears a lot of things that aren't true. There's a good chance if it were true, someone would have put it in ink by now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
He heard the rumor but couldn't confirm it. Just like you heard the rumor. He hears a lot of things that aren't true. There's a good chance if it were true, someone would have put it in ink by now.

He can't print it unless he can get someone to go on record. In a case like this, rumor isn't good enough. In this case, how many guys are there who have knowledge of the situation will speak up? The only reason someone spoke up in the Braun case is because of the extraordinary nature of the appeal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 07:44 PM)

You would think if he heard this story a week ago, it would have been his primary focus to find out more information. It would be one of the bigger stories involving the Sox in a decade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
He can't print it unless he can get someone to go on record. In a case like this, rumor isn't good enough. In this case, how many guys are there who have knowledge of the situation will speak up? The only reason someone spoke up in the Braun case is because of the extraordinary nature of the appeal.

So you saying are everyone needs someone to go on record, and if no one will go on record, how is it that this rumor is out there? A Score guy knows supposedly, so they tell their staff, but tell them only to tell their friends? Why would someone with credibility not be an anonymous source, especially if everyone supposedly hates AJ?

Just because some don't like AJ I get is reason to believe this rumor is true, just like when DRose tore his ACL again rehabbing.

I guess a lot of people buy the National Equirer and believe everything they read, although that's more credible than this source at this time. Maybe its true, but I would really doubt it, and if it was, how could Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein not at least vaguely reference it?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
So you saying are everyone needs someone to go on record, and if no one will go on record, how is it that this rumor is out there? A Score guy knows supposedly, so they tell their staff, but tell them only to tell their friends? Why would someone with credibility not be an anonymous source, especially if everyone supposedly hates AJ?

Just because some don't like AJ I get is reason to believe this rumor is true, just like when DRose tore his ACL again rehabbing.

I guess a lot of people buy the National Equirer and believe everything they read, although that's more credible than this source at this time. Maybe its true, but I would really doubt it, and if it was, how could Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein not at least vaguely reference it?

I REALLY hope this rumor isn't true, and I have nothing against AJ, I actually like him on the Sox.

That said, if AJ was on another team, and with the year he is having, and with the number of players still getting busted (not to mention the type of years they have when getting busted) it just weighs heavily against him.

Clearly I'm not saying AJ should be punished now without a confirmation of the rumor, just saying that I'm dreading a potential announcement that it is true.

EDIT: In terms of the Score not reporting it:

-AJ is a big guy in terms of media interviews, pissing him off without proof would be bad

-MLB may be very stringent on these rumors ever since the Braun incident, who knows what type of punishment there may be for leaks of positive testing before the whole ordeal is over (appeal and all).

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)

After what happened in SF, no reporter in Chicago is going to risk his relationship in Chicago without someone to blame.

About a week ago I heard the Score playing excepts from the angel himself, Victor Conte, who IIRC said there were another 1-2 players who would be identified later as they were currently going through the appeals process. If anyone flaps his gums more than Victor Conte I'd be surprised. That's probably the origin, maybe this is 2nd or 3rd hand from there.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
About a week ago I heard the Score playing excepts from the angel himself, Victor Conte, who IIRC said there were another 1-2 players who would be identified later as they were currently going through the appeals process. If anyone flaps his gums more than Victor Conte I'd be surprised. That's probably the origin, maybe this is 2nd or 3rd hand from there.

Does Conte know AJ from his San Fran days? I thought AJ was involved in some manner in the Balco trial.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)

The good thing is it doesn't matter how it looks.

It only matters if AJ tested positive and loses his appeal.