JPINAA

LittleHurt05

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To win, Peavy would have had to allow 1 run or less. The offense needs to pick it up. Youk must be worn out or banged up. As much s*** as Konerko gets, Youk has a sub .600 OPS on the road, and is hitting .160 the last month with a .267 obp, and he really gets nothing thrown his way. I'm sure his body is hurting, just like Paulie's, but somehow he's got to start hitting on the road.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
Thanks Jake. That's not what we were looking for, but I'm sure you gave 120%.

Can he just pitch only against the Twins? 4 of his 11 wins this year have been against them. 4.20 ERA for Peavy in the 2nd half, but I blame that just as much on abusing him earlier in the year with regards to too many pitches.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
2007 223.1 IP

2008 173.2 IP

2009 101.2 IP

2010 107.0 IP

2011 111.2 IP

2012 203.2 IP

Why are today's MLB pitchers so fragile? Nobody has even come close to giving me a satisfying answer. Everybody in the sporting world everywhere seems bigger, stronger, and faster than those in the past. Advances in training and nutrition are stunning compared to what we thought we knew when I as a kid. So why is 200 IP such a staggering load? How did pitchers in the past string together consecutive years of 300+ IP and come back for more? Inquiring minds want to know. All that being said SS2K5 does have a point about Jake. He may be hitting the wall. In addition to of course not in any way being a big game kind of guy.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
Why are today's MLB pitchers so fragile? Nobody has even come close to giving me a satisfying answer. Everybody in the sporting world everywhere seems bigger, stronger, and faster than those in the past. Advances in training and nutrition are stunning compared to what we thought we knew when I as a kid. So why is 200 IP such a staggering load? How did pitchers in the past string together consecutive years of 300+ IP and come back for more? Inquiring minds want to know. All that being said SS2K5 does have a point about Jake. He may be hitting the wall. In addition to of course not in any way being a big game kind of guy.

The answer is that pitching is an unnatural motion. A small percentage of pitchers can handle huge workloads, like those in the past (pre-pitch and inning limits), but the vast majority of pitchers will get hurt.

It's not a question of stamina or strength. You can make muscles stronger, but you can't really make ligaments and tendons stronger, only fix them when they tear.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 11:11 AM)

I think as a pitcher going from the NL to AL is far more challenging. I'd be a bit more cautious laying down big money on a NL pitcher these days. Some of the NL contracts are ridiculous. They really back load the salary and perform know where near what they are paid. Look at MB, Peavy's and Lincecum's contracts.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)

Another big thing going on these days is that the pitchers are simply pushing harder. More velocity, sharper break on their sliders, more strikeouts, more movement on their cutters, and on and on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
Another big thing going on these days is that the pitchers are simply pushing harder. More velocity, sharper break on their sliders, more strikeouts, more movement on their cutters, and on and on.
I think I agree with you. The K/9 ratios are insane when compared to previous eras. When I was a kid there were MLB pitchers that threw as hard as anyone today, but overall there is just a higher percentage of power pitchers today.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
I think I agree with you. The K/9 ratios are insane when compared to previous eras. When I was a kid there were MLB pitchers that threw as hard as anyone today, but overall there is just a higher percentage of power pitchers today.

It may not just be that. It may be that guys who used to throw 94 push to 96 more. Guys who used to throw pitch 130 at 88 are throwing pitch 105 at 92 now. And then they throw that hard slider/cutter on top of it.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
I think as a pitcher going from the NL to AL is far more challenging. I'd be a bit more cautious laying down big money on a NL pitcher these days. Some of the NL contracts are ridiculous. They really back load the salary and perform know where near what they are paid. Look at MB, Peavy's and Lincecum's contracts.

I'll make you guys a deal. Go out and train for a couple of months to run the mile. Then without any additional training go out and run a marathon. Tell me how you do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
I'll make you guys a deal. Go out and train for a couple of months to run the mile. Then without any additional training go out and run a marathon. Tell me how you do.

I think it's more like changing from 2 miles to 3 if you're a great 2 miler, or from 5 K to 10 K.

One mile to a marathon isn't quite the right analogy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
That's fine with me. Indians have hit him hard this year. Given their struggles vs LHP, I bet we see Santiago on Wednesday.

I think it's too late in the game for that stuff. 10 games left-- 2 starts each, and if they make it, Sale and Peavy are there for Games 1 and 2 at home.