dmbjeff

Keppinger to Sox 3 yr deal

Don't like it if he's a starter. I'd almost rather just give Morel the job as opposed to signing this guy to a 3 year deal, which is way too long, in my opnion, for a guy who may not be a starter.

Could be good, depends on the money. If he is making more than about $4M per (slightly above what Beckham will get in 2013), then I think we are overpaying. Would also have preferred a 2 year deal. I just don't think he is likely to sustain those numbers from last year.

Definitely better than Morel, or Hannahan, or pushing Sanchez too fast and at a non-native position.

How am I supposed to care about the years before I know the $$ per year?

If it was $3M year, I don't give a f*** if it's 3. If it's $9M/year, I'll be getting suicidal

His bat suits a particular need of ours. Like someone else said, the OBP is okay for our lineup. What he really brings, though, is a high contact hitter. He hits for average and he doesn't strike out...we needed more of that in our lineup if we weren't going to bring a real impact bat in instead.

Hahn was mentioning balance the other day. Keppinger hardly ever strikes out. 2 hole sounds like a spot for him. He has had a couple of decent years before, but not much power. He did go deep at a game I attended last summer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
Ugh. So not thrilled with the years.

Me either. Seems absurd for a bench player. But let's wait to see how much money.

How am I supposed to care about the years before I know the $$ per year?

If it was $3M year, I don't give a f*** if it's 3. If it's $9M/year, I'll be getting suicidal

I would guess it's in the $4-5M range.

If you're win-now, you just absolutely can't let 3b go to the dogs with Morel/Hannahan. In that sense, I understand this and am curious about the dollars.

But this also has to mean left-handed hitting and catcher (or OF?) is getting addressed in similar win-now fashion... otherwise why bother doing this