2013 Cubs catch all thread

southsider2k5

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-b...to-accept-trade

Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano told reporters on Monday that he'd accept a trade to "six or seven" other teams (ESPN Chicago).

As Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reminds us, Soriano last year had the chance to approve a trade to the Giants, eventual winners of belt and title, but opted not to do so. This time around, Soriano adds that he'd give the go-ahead for a team in the "east or center," so perhaps nothing's changed when it comes to his willingness to be shipped out west.

In any event, Soriano's no-trade clause is just one obstacle to dealing him. The fact that he'll make $18 million in each of the next two seasons is also a notable impediment. Unless the Cubs are willing to throw in towering stack of bills -- marked or unmarked -- it's going to be impossible to trade Soriano. The near-deal with San Francisco, of course, suggests the Cubs are indeed willing.

As for on-the-field performance, Soriano did hit 32 bombs last season, and his last three seasonal OPS+'s have been 121, 104, 114. He's also, contrary to reputation, a defensive asset in left field. Yes, he's overpaid, but Soriano is still a useful player in a vacuum.

In any event, it sounds as though the Cubs will be able to trade Soriano in 2013, so long as the price on both sides is right.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ald. Tom Tunney digs in against more signs, night games at Wrigley

I love that this guy is doing "what's right for his community", not mentioning the tens of thousands od dollars in campaign contributions from the rooftop owners or that fact that the community wouldn't be as rich without the Cubs. Chicago politics at its best.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 8, 2013 -> 07:28 AM)
Ald. Tom Tunney digs in against more signs, night games at Wrigley

I love that this guy is doing "what's right for his community", not mentioning the tens of thousands od dollars in campaign contributions from the rooftop owners or that fact that the community wouldn't be as rich without the Cubs. Chicago politics at its best.

The best ending to that story would be the Cubs moving to the Suburbs for a new stadium. It will never happen, but I can dream.

The best ending to that story would be the Cubs moving to the Suburbs for a new stadium. It will never happen, but I can dream.

If I owned property within a mile Wrigley I'd have to think seriously about unloading it. I think moving is a real threat and the day they announce it, property values are going to drop like a rock. Might as well start calling it South Uptown.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 8, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)
If I owned property within a mile Wrigley I'd have to think seriously about unloading it. I think moving is a real threat and the day they announce it, property values are going to drop like a rock. Might as well start calling it South Uptown.

IMO, not a chance. >50% of that teams value is in the stadium. It's why they're a unique property.

Move to the suburbs and they immediately become any other team and simultaneously anger their fanbase.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 8, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)

I can see them eventually leveredging the suburbs the way the Sox did with Addison to get what they want, but any threat will be hollow.

Good thing you're not a real estate agent, because that will never happen anytime soon. Wrigley is their gold-mine and the Cubs can posture however they want, but no one is stupid enough to fall for their bluff. Moving away from Wrigley would be franchise suicide.

The cubs need that niche more than that neighborhood needs the cubs.

The rental income is too good for me to sell now! They may threaten to move to the burbs, but it is never gonna happen. That neighborhood and park are now as much part of the franchise as the Cubs logo is. If they move away, they would actually have to worry about winning games every year.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 08:50 PM)
Ticket sales appear to be alarmingly slow for Cubs. Bleacher seats still available for Opening Day.
you can still buy cubs/sox bleachers at wrigley for ...get this...50 bucks.

total clownshoes org.....

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
you can still buy cubs/sox bleachers at wrigley for ...get this...50 bucks.

total clownshoes org.....

I don't know what their best seats, they have a lot of price points, but it seems like you can still get decent seats for the opener. Their season ticket renewals must have cratered.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
I don't know what their best seats, they have a lot of price points, but it seems like you can still get decent seats for the opener. Their season ticket renewals must have cratered.

Yet their season ticket waiting list is supposedly 30,000 deep.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
Yet their season ticket waiting list is supposedly 30,000 deep.
it's a free list that you can sign up for multiple times.

no commitment at all for the cub list. hawks and bears make you pay to be on the list.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
Prediction: by the time this year is over, Javier Baez will be the top hitting prospect in baseball.

fathom, predicting greatness from the Cubs?

You dont say??!?