Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)
Yep, my buddy interned for them in college. He said Boers would come in 2-3 days per week. Also said Bernstein (as you could imagine) was a jackass. Boers was nice.

Entire production staff super nice, too.

Yeah I remember one time when there were bad storms in the area (I live inn Lockport). Well Mokena lost power and all of a sudden Bernstein was doing the show solo and they had to kind of admit that Boers on a DSN line haha. I've met Bernstein numerous times and he's much different than he is on air. A lot of that program is a schtick. I'll take your buddy's word for it obviously but I've always had fairly pleasant experiences with Dan.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 12:48 AM)
Quick poll: what's the best and worst show on 87.7?

What's that station? Never heard of it.

In all seriousness, if you wander away from their weekday daytime programming, it gets dangerously close to sounding like a bad college radio station.

I've got to say, at least over this weekend, I found myself listening to The Game more than The Score or ESPN 1000, because they were actually CRITICALLY talking Bulls. I'll be tuning in more - I hadn't really given the station much of a chance up until now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
I've got to say, at least over this weekend, I found myself listening to The Game more than The Score or ESPN 1000, because they were actually CRITICALLY talking Bulls. I'll be tuning in more - I hadn't really given the station much of a chance up until now.

The little sports talk I listened to, I've put them on just to hear something different.

You almost forget Jared Payton is on, because, well, he doesn't talk much.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
The little sports talk I listened to, I've put them on just to hear something different.

Just like you forgot how to spell his first name

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)

Jarrett Harry and Spike are awful. I somehow enjoyed listening to Harry on 1000, but now just cringe listening to him. Jarrett too can be cringeworthy but I feel like he'll get better with time. I really like Connor McKnight and Mark Carmen.

Can somebody explain the manometer on Boers and Bernstein to me?

It's a weird Terry thing. The manometer measures the pressure beared by the final crapper on Who Ya Crappin. It's measurement is interpreted by the actual geographic local of the instrument. Its must be in a place who's namw starts with "Man", example: Manchester, Manteno, Manitowoc, Manitoba. Generally speaking, the further south or warmer climate the manometer is in, the greater the stakes for the Big Finish on WYC. Right now I believe it's in Manaus.

In my mind McNeil is gone. If I am Rosen I say "thanks and good luck at The Game". I like the guy, but he is gone all the time and it hurts the product.

Make a decision on his replacement and be done with it, Speigel can take over the reigns as #1.

It's been obvious for a while now he's gone.

I really don't know who takes his place, in his absence the show has wavered between so bad it's awesome (Peggy Kusinski) and passable (Abbatacola).

Personally, I think Jason Goff is coming back to SCR and it'll be announced at B&B's extravaganza. Whether he takes Mac's spot I don't know, he's probably the only piece of on air talent theyve had I'd be interested in giving a try. The station is in a really bad way right now, Holmes sucks, Mully and Hanley is garbage, Spiegs is doing OK and their traditional anchor (B&B) has all but collapsed since Goff left.

Edited by BaconOnAStick

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 11:16 PM)
It's been obvious for a while now he's gone.

I really don't know who takes his place, in his absence the show has wavered between so bad it's awesome (Peggy Kusinski) and passable (Abbatacola).

Personally, I think Jason Goff is coming back to SCR and it'll be announced at B&B's extravaganza. Whether he takes Mac's spot I don't know, he's probably the only piece of on air talent theyve had I'd be interested in giving a try. The station is in a really bad way right now, Holmes sucks, Mully and Hanley is garbage, Spiegs is doing OK and their traditional anchor (B&B) has all but collapsed since Goff left.

I like Holmes, Mully is Ok, and B&b has become way to holier than thou lately. Bernstein has always been arrogant, but I feel like every issue is completely black and white to him with his opinion being the only right option, and no room for discussion. And for once I would like Boers to have an opinion of his own. I find waddle and silvy much more entertaining these days.

Haven't listened to ESPN for ages. Liked Waddle/Silvy, but enjoyed B&B better. Not B&B is bad, so might have to go back. I love Spiegel, but I can't stand the new co-host every day thing. Just stop negotiating with Mac, he does not deserve to be back on the air with all of his shenanigans over the years. But Spiegel needs a solid co-host. Rozner drives me nuts (I know some people like him), Abattacola is bad, Grote was surprising solid when I heard him the other day.

Carmen/Jurko is probably the worst thing on radio. And any time I have to hear Nick Fridell, my ears melt. Haven't even wanted to give the Game a try.

Had to drive my dad's car from airport so no Sirius. Tried the Game and I don't think the sports anchor jobs are too hard but Kap and Haugh have some girl and she's really awful. They let her interject sometimes and it's brutal. She must be hot cuz no way she should be on a major shift.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
Had to drive my dad's car from airport so no Sirius. Tried the Game and I don't think the sports anchor jobs are too hard but Kap and Haugh have some girl and she's really awful. They let her interject sometimes and it's brutal. She must be hot cuz no way she should be on a major shift.

I only know who she is because I saw the show on tv last week. Here is her twitter:

https://twitter.com/BrookeWeisbrod

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
Official statement from Mitch Rosen - Dan McNeil will not be back on WSCR. The Score and Mac could not reach an agreement on a new deal.

And the people were stunned.............Not

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
Mac is so good and so bad for a station. He is fun to listen to, but his absence is so bad for a show

Also, Abbattacola not announced as his replacement is very telling

Thank god. I cannot stand him. The show becomes just a running joke the entire four hours when he is on. I was surprised that I liked Mark Grote a lot with Spiegel when he was on. My guess is that Rozner will take over. I think LoHo is probably in the running, but I don't know if he likes being co-host, I think he likes doing his own thing.