Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
What are you basing it on? In 2012 he threw out 18%. He did throw out 31% in 2011 when he had 26 PB. Other than that, he has been below average every year.

23% career vs. 27% league average.

I heard from a credible website, perhaps MLBTR, that he was above average at picking off baserunners. I apologize if I shared false information

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
Salty was well above average at throwing people out stealing. I agree with Murphy.. I do think Alexei will turn it around because of his defense in the past. Abreu is more athletic than we think, according to several scouts. I agree that the defense is bad but I think it's better than last years with De Aza and Beckham gone.

HUH???? Salty had a 21% success rate at throwing out basestealers. That ranked him 35th out of 40 AL catchers. Now some only caught limited games but to put in perspective, he was less successful than Flowers and Phegley.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 06:09 PM)
HUH???? Salty had a 21% success rate at throwing out basestealers. That ranked him 35th out of 40 AL catchers. Now some only caught limited games but to put in perspective, he was less successful than Flowers and Phegley.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 05:03 PM)
I heard from a credible website, perhaps MLBTR, that he was above average at picking off baserunners. I apologize if I shared false information

^^

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 11:16 AM)
Anyone think Hahn would entertain the notion of trading for Matt Kemp?

Not sure they have the bullets to so. I'd certainly get in the discussion for him though(I'm sure a lot here wouldn't). Probably talking Q/Beck/Semien/Ramirez, or something like that.

I would however try to get a LH power bat first if I'm putting together a big package.

....Wouldn't hate Ethier on this team for a lesser package.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
Not sure they have the bullets to so. I'd certainly get in the discussion for him though(I'm sure a lot here wouldn't). Probably talking Q/Beck/Semien /Ramirez, or something like that.

I would however try to get a LH power bat first if I'm putting together a big package.

Why not Crawford? Include De Aza to be their 4th outfielder and throw in one good prospect or two decent ones.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Why not Crawford? Include De Aza to be their 4th outfielder and throw in one good prospect or two decent ones.

Wouldn't hate him either, to be honest. I think Ethier offers a little more power and and a higher OBP so if I had to choose I'd go with him.

I know both contracts will be brought up, but I think the Sox are in the position to take on a lot of that salary and still not be in any kind of financial trouble.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
Wouldn't hate him either, to be honest. I think Ethier offers a little more power and and a higher OBP so if I had to choose I'd go with him.

I know both contracts will be brought up, but I think the Sox are in the position to take on a lot of that salary and still not be in any kind of financial trouble.

We're not in "trouble", but if people want to keep seeing large investments in the minor leagues the team starts getting limited on available funds. We probably have the money for 1 additional large signing somewhere beyond where we are right now, IMO.

If we were to say, swap De Aza for Crawford or Ethier and absorb $10 million+ a year for one of those guys...we could probably do it and get better...but that would leave us zero additional funds to upgrade the catcher's position or 3b position or 2b position or to replace anyone who gets hurt/traded/busts.

It's a great vote of confidence in Phegley/Flowers if you do a swap like that...because that tells me they won't have the money to replace them in the next few seasons.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
Not sure they have the bullets to so. I'd certainly get in the discussion for him though(I'm sure a lot here wouldn't). Probably talking Q/Beck/Semien/Ramirez, or something like that.

If we paid 100% of his remaining contract, we'd definitely have the bullets. The Dodgers have 4 OF plus they have Joc Pederson coming up. This is probably the easiest it will ever be to get Kemp, who is coming off bad year and an injury year. He hasn't played over 106 games since 2011.

I honestly don't know if I would even want Matt Kemp. He is a bad defender, is 29 years old, has had trouble staying healthy recently, and will be getting paid $21M a year until he is 36. I would need the Dodgers to toss in a large chunk of cash to get Kemp's AAV to around $14-16M.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
I still think we'd have some money.

Do the math. Counting likely arbitration guys, filling up the roster, and adding $17 million for JD Abreu we're at $87 million right now. We're going to spend another $10 million on the draft and on international signings. That puts us at $97 million or so with those guys.

We started last year at about $120 million, spent about $6 million or so on the draft, but also saved probably $15 million or so by moving Peavy, Rios, and Thornton's contracts midseason. That put us right around $110 million altogether give or take.

That was, of course, associated with a losing season and continued erosion of ticket sales. They definitely get additional TV money this year to offset that...but just look at the numbers. We're at $97 million spend on personnel this year compared to $110 last year. That's enough for 1 solid deal to get back up to where we were. And then look a year beyond that:

We do have Dunn's deal come off the books next year but we have a bunch of guys who, on paper, have their arb values go up (Beckham, Santiago, De Aza) that offsets Dunn's deal ending.

If they want to spend money, I think they have one big contract in them still...but if that doesn't put them in the playoffs, that's it, they're spent with no additional room for upgrades for several years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)
If they want to spend money, I think they have one big contract in them still...but if that doesn't put them in the playoffs, that's it, they're spent with no additional room for upgrades for several years.

They'd have the $14 million for Ramirez and Keppinger gone after '15. And Beckham would be a free agent.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 05:40 PM)
They'd have the $14 million for Ramirez and Keppinger gone after '15. And Beckham would be a free agent.

Are you willing to wait until after the 2015 season to have the money to fix the catcher's spot if Phegley and Flowers continue to put up .650 OPS numbers?

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 12:51 AM)
Upside: Young, cost-controlled power hitter at premium position

Downside: Trade cost / Plate disciple / Defensive liability

The Rockies were talking about moving him to 1b or the OF, and pursuing Carlos Ruiz. The Sox could try to keep him at C.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 06:51 PM)
Upside: Young, cost-controlled power hitter at premium position

Downside: Trade cost / Plate disciple / Defensive liability

I like to think we're all plate disciples, in one way or another...

For those wondering...

Rosario:

Home - 96 wRC+ (.817 OPS) 19% K

Away - 113 wRC+ (.785 OPS) 27% K

Wonder if that K difference is common for Colorado players. In 2012, he walked 7.7% of the time at home versus 3.9% away as well. This year it was 3.3 versus 3.0, respectively. Not sure why he quit walking or why that is different based on ballpark either.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 06:37 PM)
For those wondering...

Rosario:

Home - 96 wRC+ (.817 OPS) 19% K

Away - 113 wRC+ (.785 OPS) 27% K

Wonder if that K difference is common for Colorado players. In 2012, he walked 7.7% of the time at home versus 3.9% away as well. This year it was 3.3 versus 3.0, respectively. Not sure why he quit walking or why that is different based on ballpark either.

He's never had a high walk rate... No matter where he's raking at. :)