Sox acquire Adam Eaton from ARZ, deal Santiago, Jacobs

Baron

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)
You're saying this off morcompletelyn Eaton's 300jerked-bats? Santiago is nice labor for the price but has anyone here honestly touted his ceiling..like at all?

He has a near elite K rate and an ERA of 3.30 in his season's worth of starts so far. This after being completely misused and jerked around by the organization. If people aren't touting his ceiling they should be, because he's shown it to be pretty high.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
He has a near elite K rate and an ERA of 3.30 in his season's worth of starts so far. This after being completely misused and jerked around by the organization. If people aren't touting his ceiling they should be, because he's shown it to be pretty high.

While he has been great, I think the Sox trade record of trading young pitchers has turned out pretty well for the Franchise in the past... I also think we can come about a 3rd SP ceiling guy easily in the upcoming draft or finding another young pitcher and workin on him like we did with Qunitana. I just think overreacting trading Santiago without knowing what we are getting in return and judging a guy for 300 at bats is a little premature. Let's let it pan out and see the deal and what the sox do the rest of the week/offseason. Santiago is replaceable, there is no arguing that, and I trust Hahn to get his values worth from him.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
Going to make a prediction...

By the time this is done, it will be a 4-team trade, and most of us will be happy.

Aren't 4-team trades very rare? However, that would be interesting. I think if the Sox get one more piece (a solid prospect), most of us will be happy.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)
We're going to give up Santiago for a guy who might stick as a starting CF but could end up a 4th OF??????

Better than having a guy why might stick as a starting pitcher (in a rotation that already has 3 lefties) but could end up a reliever.

Edited by chisoxfan310

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)

He also walks 4.5 guys per 9, doesn't last long when he starts because he's inefficient, and he throws a lot of flyballs. He has a lot of talent, but also has a lot to work on too.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 12:05 PM)
Now hearing they're pushing for Quintana instead?

I guess he wont be hanging out at that Colombian restaurant in Rogers Park anymore...

If they are pushing for Quintana, I imagine the Sox are going to require a ton more or they'll flat out drop out of negotiations. That've been pretty blatant about their desire to keep Quintana.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 12:05 PM)
Now hearing they're pushing for Quintana instead?

I guess he wont be hanging out at that Colombian restaurant in Rogers Park anymore...

Quintana for Eaton is crazy. Where ya hear that from Jose? I'm sure there's more to it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
Saying Santiago "might stick" as a starter is laughable at this point. Using 3 lefties in our current rotation as a reason behind this trade even more so.

Saying he could either take a step forward with his control, command, and ability to throw groundballs is just as far fetched. I really like Santiago, but he is probably the most realistic piece the Sox can deal.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
Saying Santiago "might stick" as a starter is laughable at this point. Using 3 lefties in our current rotation as a reason behind this trade even more so.

It's not laughable. He hasn't stuck as SP yet, and he currently doesn't throw enough strikes to do so. He's a work in progress.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 06:09 PM)
Saying he could either take doesn'tep forward with his cohe'sol, command, and ability to throw groundballs is just as far fetched. I really like Santiago, but he is probably the most realistic piece the Sox can deal.

No, it's not. To perform as well as he has despite his complete mishandling is a minor miracle. Even if he doesn't take a step forward, he's fine forwhat he is and isnt being dropped from the rotation.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
While he has been great, I think the Sox trade record of trading young pitchers has turned out pretty well for the Franchise in the past... I also think we can come about a 3rd SP ceiling guy easily in the upcoming draft or finding another young pitcher and workin on him like we did with Qunitana. I just think overreacting trading Santiago without knowing what we are getting in return and judging a guy for 300 at bats is a little premature. Let's let it pan out and see the deal and what the sox do the rest of the week/offseason. Santiago is replaceable, there is no arguing that, and I trust Hahn to get his values worth from him.

This.

We trade someone like Sale & now we have all these new holes & expectations to be met. Trade Santiago OTOH & you need a #3 SP type value in return to replace him, and with the right moves you may be able to even exceed that. Worst case we make a bad move, bring in a couple busts or something, but losing Santiago doesn't really hurt our forward progress. Moves like this will get the Sox where they need to go. If this Eaton dude did work out then just imagine how much better we'd feel having another position player to pencil into our next contending team. I hope we can get 2 good future players out of Santiago and a prospect or 2 here, that would be nice.