Hahn's next move?

The Ultimate Champion

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 09:12 PM)
I'm confident that EJ can match Hector and a healthy Danks can match Peavy.

Considering Hector was on pace for about a 2 WAR pitcher in a full 32 start season, I think it's possible that EJ could match that over a full season, even though he was pretty bad in his 5 starts last year.

The way I see it, there really won't be any more moves made, unless something really good came along. Maybe claim Brayan Villarreal from the Red Sox or sign a pitcher on the cheap, but I don't see any good deals in the future. Hopefully something decent comes along for the catcher spot (Jose Lobaton?). I think the preferable move from Hahn would be to unload Dunn, but at the price you'd pay to get rid of him it wouldn't be worth it. De Aza and Viciedo, right now, are more valuable on the White Sox than they are on any other team. Keppinger is also another guy I think the team would prefer to have a rebound season and get some value back rather than paying all of his salary to play else where. However, while there are these log jams, we are going to see a team filled with position battles for PT as well as young guys pushing old guys who have been under preforming. Looking at it position by position:

C: It's a crap shoot, but hey, at least a lot of competition.

1B: Abreu's got it locked down.

2B: Beckham's job for now, but he's got a lot of pressure from players in AAA battling to take his spot. Plus, depending on what happens at 3B, Keppinger could be competing to earn some PT at 2B.

3B: I'm thinking more and more Matt Davidson will start at AAA unless he just blows everyone away at camp. I think we'll see a Gillaspie & Keppinger platoon at 3B for the first part of the season, and again, they have a player down at AAA competing to take their spot.

SS: Ramirez is fine. His only concern should be if he's traded at the deadline to make room for Semien or Garcia.

LF: Viciedo and De Aza I'm thinking will platoon here along with De Aza giving the other two outfielders a break here and there to get some extra AB's.

CF: Eaton, go out there and play ball.

RF: Garcia, lets see what you got.

DH: Dunn & Konerko platoon, but we could see some competition for AB's between the two if Konerko feels good and hits more like first half 2012 and not 2013 PK.

SP: 5th spot is loaded with competition right now between Paulino, Rienzo, and Surkamp.

Bullpen: Pretty much open competition for every spot in the pen if you ask me.

I'm starting to get really excited about all this competition that will be taking place in the spring and hopefully it leads to some inspired play throughout the season. For the most part, you have four guys who are safe on the offensive side of the ball who will likely get their AB's no matter what. The rest, it's go out and earn it, and I love it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:35 PM)
I don't want him to put up "Phegley numbers" anywhere, because Phegley numbers involve a .522 OPS and the lowest wRC+/OPS+ in baseball among everyone who batted as many times as he did and a career full of sub-.700 OPS, powerless seasons in the minors.

Ha ha, yes. I'm confident you knew I was referring to Phegley at AAA last year.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:57 PM)
Considering Hector was on pace for about a 2 WAR pitcher in a full 32 start season, I think it's possible that EJ could match that over a full season, even though he was pretty bad in his 5 starts last year.

Bad? You think he looked bad?

Not me. I thought he looked ... "promising." I saw nothing that made me think he was yet another minor league stud with no real major league future. Instead, I saw a promising rookie ... up for his cuppa joe in the Bigs ... running on fumes at the end of a really long season for him. He looked like he had a plan. He competed ... hard. He didn't look overmatched. In fact, to me he looked like a tough SOB who wanted to be in control, and will often be in control once the butterflies are gone and he has that inner confidence that he can have success in this league.

I know it's the popular view to view EJ as an innings-eater #4 type. I see him more of a solid #3, with an opportunity to get into that #2 terrain during his best years.

In any case, I think his command and his frame gives him a greater likelihood of reaching his ceiling than Hector. And I was a big Hector fan.

Guys, we're getting pretty close to spring training. I think Hahn is done. Only possible move I see is signing a free agent catcher like Buck. I'm assuming Buck is still out there.

Personally if he's done for this year I'd prefer passing on a hack catcher. Go with Phegs and Flowers and see if either can play. Flowers stunk royally last year, but s***, we've stuck with other Sox players much longer than Flowers. I could stomach giving him another chance since Becks keeps getting chance after chance and the same with Dunn.

I think with all our additions I MAY buy mlb.com again but I think we are still well well well below a .500 team at this date.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:52 PM)

Not me. I thought he looked ... "promising." I saw nothing that made me think he was yet another minor league stud with no real major league future. Instead, I saw a promising rookie ... up for his cuppa joe in the Bigs ... running on fumes at the end of a really long season for him. He looked like he had a plan. He competed ... hard. He didn't look overmatched. In fact, to me he looked like a tough SOB who wanted to be in control, and will often be in control once the butterflies are gone and he has that inner confidence that he can have success in this league.

I know it's the popular view to view EJ as an innings-eater #4 type. I see him more of a solid #3, with an opportunity to get into that #2 terrain during his best years.

In any case, I think his command and his frame gives him a greater likelihood of reaching his ceiling than Hector. And I was a big Hector fan.

In the 3 or 4 starts I saw of his, he looked okay. But statistically speaking, he was not very good in those 5 starts. The starts I saw reminded me of Axelrod. I'm sure he will end up being better than that though. It won't be hard to surpass that bar.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 12:01 AM)
Guys, we're getting pretty close to spring training. I think Hahn is done. Only possible move I see is signing a free agent catcher like Buck. I'm assuming Buck is still out there.

Personally if he's done for this year I'd prefer passing on a hack catcher. Go with Phegs and Flowers and see if either can play. Flowers stunk royally last year, but s***, we've stuck with other Sox players much longer than Flowers. I could stomach giving him another chance since Becks keeps getting chance after chance and the same with Dunn.

I think with all our additions I MAY buy mlb.com again but I think we are still well well well below a .500 team at this date.

Buck already signed

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
If they stand pat with this rotation big trouble ahead.

So your solution is to throw a bunch of money at the most inconsistent pitcher in baseball over the past 5-7 years.

Dude, think before you post. And if you are, quit trolling. There are ALWAYS #3 starters available.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 12:13 AM)
In the 3 or 4 starts I saw of his, he looked okay. But statistically speaking, he was not very good in those 5 starts. The starts I saw reminded me of Axelrod. I'm sure he will end up being better than that though. It won't be hard to surpass that bar.

In his 5 starts, he had 3 of which were quality. All but one of the teams he threw against were playoff contenders. I think he did pretty damn well considering the circumstances. Didnt help that he had NO defense behind him in his first two games. I will agree that he needs to get his pitch counts down by attacking the zone more and walking less people, but I thought his September was very encouraging for this team.

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:52 PM)

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:13 PM)

Exactly, and his 27 innings here were after he'd already blown by his previous innings max by 60. Please don't judge him by that.

The braintrust has high hopes for him. He'll be solid or better.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 09:13 PM)
Rumor out there that Rays are discussing a trade with the Nationals about Jose Lobaton. Sox were rumored to go and get him.

Just figured I'd bump this and see what you guys think what will be the next move for Hahn.

Not for a good prospect.

For De Aza or someone like that I guess he'd be okay.

One more bullpen arm would be nice. A lot of inexperience in the pen right now. Maybe someone on a minor league deal that could contribute at the major league level out of spring training, maybe a Mitchell Boggs type? Also wish they would have signed someone to cement into that 4th or 5th rotation spot like Phil Hughes for a year with maybe an option.

QUOTE (wardo @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:52 AM)
One more bullpen arm would be nice. A lot of inexperience in the pen right now. Maybe someone on a minor league deal that could contribute at the major league level out of spring training, maybe a Mitchell Boggs type? Also wish they would have signed someone to cement into that 4th or 5th rotation spot like Phil Hughes for a year with maybe an option.

I think Paulino is essentially that :) Failing him, Rienzo will probably get a shot.

QUOTE (wardo @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 11:52 PM)

Between Downs, Belisario, and Lindstrom I think they're plenty experienced. Nate Jones also has 135 games under his belt.

Also, as the above poster just said don't underestimate Paulino....Or Rienzo improving...Or Surkamp emerging....I like the idea of a competition for the 5 spot, should be fun to follow in ST.

Edited by scs787

I think we will catch lightning in a bottle with one of the project lefties they have brought in on minor league deals/invited to Spring Training. De Los Santos (picked up from TB), Surkamp, Robles, Crawford (picked up from TOR)...I think one of them can stick and be solid in the pen. Remember, Thornton was a no body until he started working with Cooper and he was about 27 so anything is really possible.

Also (since the Adam Dunn thread is closed), I think they should sell on De Aza now. I think he has pretty much reached his ceiling as a big leaguer: decent blend of power and speed, capable of playing a litter center. He's not a bad ball player, but not a part of the future. He's at least solid enough to start on a few teams. Also a left-handed bat. Having him as the 4th outfielder would just decrease his value. Playing Dunn for half a season may bring his value up from none to at least a little.

Edited by chisoxfan310

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 08:33 AM)
Also (since the Adam Dunn thread is closed), I think they should sell on De Aza now. I think he has pretty much reached his ceiling as a big leaguer: decent blend of power and speed, capable of playing a litter center. He's not a bad ball player, but not a part of the future. He's at least solid enough to start on a few teams. Also a left-handed bat. Having him as the 4th outfielder would just decrease his value. Playing Dunn for half a season may bring his value up from none to at least a little.

If the Sox got an offer they felt was right or close to for De Aza, they likely would have taken it by now. I don't think that has happened. The gist as I understand it is that the Sox are looking to move him but haven't received the offer yet for a number of reasons. Come Spring, there will likely be a team that shows interest in him and they'll be able to work something out. They still have almost 2 months to move him prior to the start of the season. The other thought is that he can play anywhere in the outfield and is still cheap enough to be used as depth. There's no rush to move him, but trading him would be ideal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
If the Sox got an offer they felt was right or close to for De Aza, they likely would have taken it by now. I don't think that has happened. The gist as I understand it is that the Sox are looking to move him but haven't received the offer yet for a number of reasons. Come Spring, there will likely be a team that shows interest in him and they'll be able to work something out. They still have almost 2 months to move him prior to the start of the season. The other thought is that he can play anywhere in the outfield and is still cheap enough to be used as depth. There's no rush to move him, but trading him would be ideal.

I wasn't advocating them to do it now or soon but yeah in Spring Training injuries happen and some young guys penciled in to start make tank or really bad and he can look appealing to that team.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 11:34 PM)
Yeah, watch out for Surkamp. I think he's gonna have a huge ST.

I still don't see it. If the guy were remotely that good, how does the entire NL pass up on a LHSP, with zero cost?

He has to be a Charlotte guy if all goes well with everyone else we are expecting to perform this year.