2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
Goal #1 should be to hire a quality coach and acquire players that thrive in that coach's system.

Let the coach and players worry about beating Green Bay.

And when you dont beat green bay all the blame is on the coaches and players, never the GM

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
I wrote about the Bears last 5 drafts and the Pace hire. Enjoy (or suffer through I should say) the last 5 NFL drafts of our Chicago Bears. http://blog.suncoastsocial.com/the-last-5-...ars-hire-new-gm

Conte was actually decent when he was on the field this year. Easily the best safety this year when he wasn't hurt.

Not defending him, but there are much worse players than him.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
A reporter from New Orleans felt that he had been sought out and offered more jobs over the past couple of years but he always wanted more control than was offered.

Ted Phillips is the President of Football Operations while not making moves or evaluating talent he has a role and the GM reports to him so he is a layer of management that has some over-site along with the Board over the GM

This isn't really true though. Ted Phillips doesn't make football decisions.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
A lot of smoke out their that Ballard wanted to tear everything down and it upset the McCaskey's. However, Hub Arkush (who is typically extremely anti-Bear) has indicated it is all BS and those are all leaks from the respective candidates trying to save face.

http://chicagofootball.com/2015/01/09/hub-...aq1xrfl/?page=1

Right its not hard to use the media when they all want to be first with any information true or not.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
This isn't really true though. Ted Phillips doesn't make football decisions.

I haven't seen anything disputing this. In fact, it looks like the current Bears structure was very attractive to GM candidates. DeCosta being the only one to turn down an interview with the Bears, but he has turned down everyone. The Jets and Philly jobs were repeatedly turned down because of their structure.

I think the George and Phillips structure problems myth needs to be put to bed, along with the Bears are cheap myth. It's pretty clear the GM has full control over personnel decisions, and this was a very sought after job. The Lovie/Angelo era saw them go to one Superbowl and another conference championship under this structure, so it wasn't a complete failure. The Emery era clearly was a failure, but he was given free reign to give out huge contracts, which helped get him and everyone else fired, and then the Bears picked up the tab to clean house.

I have no idea if Pace will work out(rooting for him as I went to college with him), but if it doesn't it won't be because he wan't given the freedom to do what he wanted.

Patrick Mannelly is also indicating that his sources indicate that Pace talked about control and laid out what control he wanted and he got all of it. I guess the real answer will be after the draft when we start to see new football people brought into his structure cause you have to imagine turnover at halas hall is going to be high after the draft (when the contracts of the scouts are up and when you typically can make changes). I think its nearly impossible to make changes now, given that pretty much everyone in the biz is under contract.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
Patrick Mannelly is also indicating that his sources indicate that Pace talked about control and laid out what control he wanted and he got all of it. I guess the real answer will be after the draft when we start to see new football people brought into his structure cause you have to imagine turnover at halas hall is going to be high after the draft (when the contracts of the scouts are up and when you typically can make changes). I think its nearly impossible to make changes now, given that pretty much everyone in the biz is under contract.

Want to know whats motivating? Drafting/scouting for your job

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 10:26 AM)
Right its not hard to use the media when they all want to be first with any information true or not.

Hub can be a curmudgeon, but man was he right about the Bears last few years. He had been calling out how much a rebuild effort was necessary for 3 years now.

And he's right that, we basically just have to hope he gets it right. We have no idea how he is going to build this out yet, or whether it will work.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
Want to know whats motivating? Drafting/scouting for your job

What is funny is the most recent draft is the only one which Emery had where a year out, you looked at the list and the majority of the guys still looked like they had potential. First two years you pretty much wrote off the bulk of our picks, which is just absurd (part of that was because I wrote off Bostic and Greene very quickly and by and large look smart by doing that).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
i just have one request for the new coach and gm.....be on time to your press conferences. That used to drive me nuts about Emery and Trestman, they were always late.

I think this is true of a lot of coaches. Mike McCarthy is always late for his press conferences.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
I think this is true of a lot of coaches. Mike McCarthy is always late for his press conferences.

You get slack when you have a superbowl ring and an elite QB