2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 09:36 PM)
Waiting for Quinn would seem like a foolish decision. Either we want Fox or we don't. Need to make up the mind and you can't just sit around and wait for Quinn, imo (not when we moved as quick as we did with Fox). I also think waiting on Quinn could be a significant mistake as Fox might be irrupted and say he isn't interested (and sit out a year) with the Falcons hiring Quinn (as on paper they have the better roster). It seems that Quinn is reportedly a heavy favorite in Atlanta.

It really makes little sense to me. Hire Fox or don't but if you are lukewarm on Fox and need to wait for Quinn than he probably isn't your guy anyway.

If they haven't talked to Quinn, it's not a black and white "they want Fox or not." He has some question marks just like any coaching candidate. He may be the front runner but that doesn't mean it's all or nothing. Maybe they've heard good things about Quinn and wouldn't be doing the proper due diligence if they don't talk to him.

Getting more information is rarely a bad move.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
If they haven't talked to Quinn, it's not a black and white "they want Fox or not." He has some question marks just like any coaching candidate. He may be the front runner but that doesn't mean it's all or nothing. Maybe they've heard good things about Quinn and wouldn't be doing the proper due diligence if they don't talk to him.

Getting more information is rarely a bad move.

Accorsi/Bears Brass spoke to Quinn first week.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)
@JasonPhilCole: #NFL exec source says John Fox is getting the #Bears job.

I will believe it when its done. Things still smell really Bearsy right now and I am just waiting to see how they screw everything up.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
I will believe it when its done. Things still smell really Bearsy right now and I am just waiting to see how they screw everything up.

I'm with you. I understand ptatc' point of view, but I would be worried if the bears WANTED Fox and could not land him. If this is that they don't actually want him and are trying to save face with him, I'd be fine, but that doesn't seem Bears.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 07:13 AM)
Does a successful 60 year old guy want to coach under a 37 year old first time GM and have no power regarding the roster? Does the 37 year old new GM want to give up some of his newly acquired power to a coach that, looking at it negatively, has been canned twice?

From what I heard, Pace wants to talk to Quinn, which would indicate to me, Fox isn't his perfect candidate, and Quinn probably is a longshot to coach the Bears.

Who really knows? Fox might be named the new coach in 5 minutes.

I think if you can't make up your mind on Fox without talking to Quinn, than that to me means you aren't all that interested in Fox or you aren't decisive enough as a GM to survive. I also think it is a very slippery slope, strategically, as you very well might get caught with your pants down. The NFL doesn't work in a vacuum and the Bears can't ignore what else is going on. It would appear Quinn is the top guy in other places, so if you are picking between Fox and Quinn and you are really high on Fox, take Fox and don't sweat Quinn. Odds are you are going to lose out on Quinn anyway as there is more headway in Atlanta and if you wait, my guess is Fox decides to take a year off as their will be ample suitors, ones with likely better rosters than the Bears, that will become available in future seasons.

I'm f***ing tired of people saying, oh Fox has already proven what he is...yeah he's proven he is a good NFL coach who can win and take your team to the superbowl. He's proven that he won't be a colossal disaster. We'd be lucky if any of the coordinators turned into that yet we have a guy here who is that and we know it.

To me, if the Bears pass on Fox, it has to be because they liked Austin more, because they do have a legit shot at getting him (or so it would appear). Even than, he could end up in Denver for all we know and than you are again, really left in the shorts crawling back to Marronne.

Right now, I think it all comes down to can Pace / Fox see eye to eye and work well together and what sort of control does Fox want and how much does he want to get paid. I presume he wants something similar to what Jason Garrett got and the Bears are saying, well, maybe we can get Quinn or Austin and get them for the equivalent of 2 years of Fox and they end up being as good. Stupid answer and while it might work out, this is not the time in this franchise to screw this choice up. Go for the most surefire thing and that is Fox. Instant credibility and a restoration to this franchise and will provide us with some built in continuity, which ultimately is a pre-requisite to being a great organization.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 07:20 AM)
Obviously, Trestman was in over his head, but what is the Bears record this season if Fox and his entire Denver staff happened to be coaching them?

Hard to say in a vacuum but I think they have at least 2 more wins and I wouldn't have been surprised if they were a playoff team or at least in the race up until the end. Part of that is the fact that I think Trestman was so awful and detrimental to the unit and I also think Joey D was the worst special teams coach in the league 2 consecutive years. That said there were injuries and other things that happened that you can't ignore as well. I absolutely think the Bears would have been better and by good margin with Fox and his staff.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
Moon Mullin is also reporting the job is Fox's if he wants it.

shipps and bmags wont believe this until Fox shows up on their doorstep and says "Hi, im new to the neighborhood. My name is John Fox and i coach the Bears" because BEARS HISTORY AND STUFF

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 08:20 AM)
Quinn seems like an attractive name based on the Seattle connection, but I am not sold he's ready to be a HC.

All of the assistants are a crapshoot. Even experienced head coaches can be one too, depending, but in terms of experienced HC's, unless you are looking at Cowher / Dungy / Gruden, Fox is that next class of experienced coaches (along with Shanny). Shanny should be in the breath of the 1st three coaches, however, the stink that happened in Washington still follows him (and he might actually deserve more credit than he ever got for Washington given what a disaster Snyder is).

The reality is, you know what you have and that is a good NFL coach who can hire good assistants on both sides of the ball and help you win football games. He is still going to need talent to win, he can't turn water into wine or part the red sea. He needs talent but if you give him talent, he'll get you their and won't get in the way. At the end of the day, that is a rare commodity and when you have that known, go get it. He instantly establishes a winning culture and overall stability to an organization which has lacked it, really since Lovie got additional roster control after the superbowl (albeit Angelo / Lovie did bring one of the more successful Bear windows and periods...one where we contended every year...didn't make the playoffs as much as we'd like but we contended). Fox is a class above Lovie, mainly because he has demonstrated the ability to hire offensive talent.

Fox also has a long history of being able to work with his GM's, etc, which is a really major plus and the way he handled the last year in Denver despite Elway being a prick, is also pretty admirable, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
On a sidenote, all of my points above go back to the point that it is extremely obvious...John Fox will be the next Bear head coach. It just makes too much sense.

Why did he leave without taking the job? I dont think it is a sure thing by any means. I think he wants more control over player personnel and Pace said nope, take it or leave it.

WR Muhammad on Fox - " Made sure ever single player knows their role on the team. Does not play the favoritism thing. Will get the best team on the field. A defensive minded guy. Fox is a great communicator, great talker, won't get a lot of him in the press. He is intense, will drink 20 cups of coffee in the morning, people person. You might like what comes out of Fox's mouth all the time but you have to respect him because he is a straight shooter."

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
Kyle...not even you can jinx the change that is happening at Halas Hall.

Im not so much a jinx as a blind optimist.

BUT, i did say that both Trestman and Emery would be fired when most of this thread thought the Bears would never send 15 million dollars in coaching and Front Office salaries packing

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
(i totally hope my previous comment doesnt come back to burn me)

Oh you are getting burned on it. You have bet on the Bears and it will almost always burn you.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
Why did he leave without taking the job? I dont think it is a sure thing by any means. I think he wants more control over player personnel and Pace said nope, take it or leave it.

Pace left the night of his interview and flew back to Chicago the next day to take the job. He might be going back to talk things over with his family, might have left to think about what number he wants or to mull over something else. I do think if it doesn't happen, it is either roster control or money that is stopping this. If it is money I'll be pissed, if it is roster control I understand. I want the coach to feel comfortable that the GM is going to get him guys that fit his system and schemes, etc, but I don't want the coach to be able to force players on the GM, at that point, it just becomes too much.