The Official 2014 Opening Day thread

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
Since "Opening Week" is about to get terrible weather, wouldn't it be a good business move just to postpone the next two games now, and have doubleheaders in August and September? It's a division team. Do it.

Of course, there's also a downside risk that both teams could fall 20 games back and the game would never be made up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
Of course, there's also a downside risk that both teams could fall 20 games back and the game would never be made up.

Well yeah, if they got rained out in September. Probably would be a risk worth taking.

Remember last year, they made one of their doubleheaders a 2 for 1. They could do that for September 12, and they probably would get some good advanced sales.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
Since "Opening Week" is about to get terrible weather, wouldn't it be a good business move just to postpone the next two games now, and have doubleheaders in August and September? It's a division team. Do it.

I think they would rather play them now. Doubleheaders tax your pitching staff.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 08:57 AM)
I think they would rather play them now. Doubleheaders tax your pitching staff.

That's why they added the extra player for doubleheaders. Plus in September, the rosters are expanded--which I don't like, but that's another topic.

You're right though, in a perfect world they don't want them, but with this weather coming, just call it off...especially since the Twins are coming back twice.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
Did anybody go into the game around 2? The gates lines were as bad as I have ever seen them. I mean even during in 05-06 I didn't see a line that long to get in to the park.

Yeah I was lined up 45 mins before opening pitch at gate 3 and i missed the first inning, it felt like they were letting two people in at a time.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
Well yeah, if they got rained out in September. Probably would be a risk worth taking.

Remember last year, they made one of their doubleheaders a 2 for 1. They could do that for September 12, and they probably would get some good advanced sales.

2 for 1s are bad for business.

Watching Abreu hit in person, I now understand why there was a disconnect in the reports between supposedly questionable bat speed, and yet loud contact and power. If you watch him swing, it LOOKS slow. Not long, just slow. But somehow, when he makes contact, there is immense power behind it. It must be his hands or something. But I totally get how some scouts may have seen what they perceived as slow bat speed. I don't think it's slow - I think he's got a fast top hand with a very short stroke of it, a relatively short swing, and a lot of body and bat size, which together give that false impression.

I think the guy is going to be a monster.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
"Hipster questions of the day" (since there's no catch all)

Did anyone that went try out the new craft bears they're selling?? Any good?? How much???

Also anyone know if e-cigs are allowed in??

Revolution Anti-Hero IPA is a staple in our house, loved being able todrink them at the stadium yesterday

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
2 for 1s are bad for business.

Depends on the team. It would be dumb for team that draws 3 mil to do it. For a team like the White Sox, it could be a good marketing move with 5 months of notice.

And again, they did it last year, so there is a precedent.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
Watching Abreu hit in person, I now understand why there was a disconnect in the reports between supposedly questionable bat speed, and yet loud contact and power. If you watch him swing, it LOOKS slow. Not long, just slow. But somehow, when he makes contact, there is immense power behind it. It must be his hands or something. But I totally get how some scouts may have seen what they perceived as slow bat speed. I don't think it's slow - I think he's got a fast top hand with a very short stroke of it, a relatively short swing, and a lot of body and bat size, which together give that false impression.

I think the guy is going to be a monster.

The pitch he hit for a single was six inches inside, and a foot off of the ground. I have no idea how he hit it solidly, and not off of his foot.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
Depends on the team. It would be dumb for team that draws 3 mil to do it. For a team like the White Sox, it could be a good marketing move with 5 months of notice.

And again, they did it last year, so there is a precedent.

Did they do it last year out of desire or necessity?

Frankly, you have to figure you are going to get 60% per game compared to the usual game. If you draw a full capacity crowd? Sure it's OK. How many people actually buy tickets to go to a double header and want to stay at (or near) the park for 10 hours? I think I'd put that number at 10-15K at the very most, and I think that's stretching it.

If you draw 20K, you lose. If you're at 30K, you are starting to push it. You really need to draw 35-40K to make running a scheduled double header worth it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Did they do it last year out of desire or necessity?

Frankly, you have to figure you are going to get 60% per game compared to the usual game. If you draw a full capacity crowd? Sure it's OK. How many people actually buy tickets to go to a double header and want to stay at (or near) the park for 10 hours? I think I'd put that number at 10-15K at the very most, and I think that's stretching it.

If you draw 20K, you lose. If you're at 30K, you are starting to push it. You really need to draw 35-40K to make running a scheduled double header worth it.

I think it was Friday, June 28 last year. I don't think there was something going on that they had to start at 4pm instead of two separate gates that start at noon or 1.

I think the D-backs did a 2 for 1 last year. Also, the players prefer a straight DH over a split, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, just a thought. Bottom line, they'd make more money in August and September if they played day/night or a straight DH over what they're going to get the next two days.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
Heard that from quite a few people, seemed to be all the gates then. They didn't have the metal detectors out did they

They did, hand held.

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
They did, hand held.

Yea I missed the 1st too and when I saw the replay of the game on my dvr the stadium was empty from the inside during the pre game ceremonies .everyone was stuck outside.

I know it's just one day but found it interesting. Abreu's double came on the first pitch of the at bat, in the other at bats he had a 1-1 count and two 2-1 counts. He went 0-1 twice but brought those counts back to even on the next pitch.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
I know it's just one day but found it interesting. Abreu's double came on the first pitch of the at bat, in the other at bats he had a 1-1 count and two 2-1 counts. He went 0-1 twice but brought those counts back to even on the next pitch.

he mentioned in post game interviews that he normally does not want to swing at the first pitch. His adrenaline must have been through the roof

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
he mentioned in post game interviews that he normally does not want to swing at the first pitch. His adrenaline must have been through the roof

What caught my eye otherwise was that he had 0 counts with 2 strikes and got ahead in the count twice in his first game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
They've upped security at the United Center too, with a longer pat down and metal detector swipe, it's slowed the entrance process down there too.

My buddy was drinking a can of beer as he was walking into the park. He put his hands up in the air for the metal detector swipe...and they didn't even notice the beer in his hand. He was able to finish the can inside the park, just past the entry point; I still can't believe that neither security nor the ticket scanners noticed that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
They've upped security at the United Center too, with a longer pat down and metal detector swipe, it's slowed the entrance process down there too.

They mentioned on the radio today that the new conceal and carry law is a reason for the uptick in security