Official NHL 2014-15 Thread

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)
You're telling me you want to get rid of a 22 year old, up and coming star in Brandon Saad for unknown 1st round draft picks?

How do you not like Bowman? He has recognized the core of this group, build around them, and has brought this city 3 championships in 6 years.

read the whole post before you start your yapping. here is the point and i will block it for you.

now comes the spicy things, Saad and his new contract. i hope, and i am not a fan of Bowman, that will not overpay for him like Bickell, but his contract needs to be #1 to take care off.

so tell my in your limited observation where i said about getting rid of him and so forth and so on.

b/c Dale Tallon was the architect of this team and was pushed out. i still think Tallon is the better GM and unlike Bowman, didn't have a daddy to help him.

btw, i dare you to say i am wrong, b/c the yr before Tallon was let go, the 2 bowmans were talking about the draft and daddy bowman was giving him advise.

Edited by LDF

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:41 PM)
I too am not a fan of the GM that has retooled this team numerous times in the modern cap era to help achieve 3 stanley cup victories.

i will respect what you are saying, i just didn't think that was that much that needed to be retooled.

however i will give bowman his dues. this yr he did a great job.

signing richard

making trades at the end, who cares if they were needed or not, it showed that he went out and got the team the players.

ala mike keenan going out and getting gilmore and a dman.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 10:20 PM)
Man I wish we could keep Vermette, his face off ability is so valuable.

i would too, but for me, the length of the contract and how much for that contract.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 05:47 PM)
i would too, but for me, the length of the contract and how much for that contract.

Agreed, he was dominant on FO, but someone on the open market will give him 4-5 mil a year and the Hawks simply can't afford that. I think Richards has a better chance to stay.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 11:47 PM)
Agreed, he was dominant on FO, but someone on the open market will give him 4-5 mil a year and the Hawks simply can't afford that. I think Richards has a better chance to stay.

this offseason, at least for me and my opinion on bowman, will tell how good or bad of a GM he is. how creative he can get, but the #1, is to see how he will address the priorities of the team. if done right, i really can see the hawks winning 2 or 3 more back to back.

the big point is, if done right. no one will know if he is doing it right. only when game time starts.

as you said in another post, the core is there. build around it. put his name on this team now.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 06:55 PM)
this offseason, at least for me and my opinion on bowman, will tell how good or bad of a GM he is. how creative he can get, but the #1, is to see how he will address the priorities of the team. if done right, i really can see the hawks winning 2 or 3 more back to back.

the big point is, if done right. no one will know if he is doing it right. only when game time starts.

as you said in another post, the core is there. build around it. put his name on this team now.

Honestly I think Bowman only has made 2 mistakes since being the GM. He gave Bickell all that money when everyone here knew he wasn't worth it, was definitely the opportune time to get rid of him after the last cup winner. The 2nd mistake being he paid Crawford too much, now I don't know if this is really even a mistake as who knows what Crawford would have gotten in free agency but in my mind it could have been a good deal less.

If you can only think of 2 mistakes and one not really being a mistake in a GM's tenure I think they are doing one helluva job, not to mention winning 3 cups and having to rebuild the team after the first one. Still sad Ladd had to go :angry:

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 05:46 PM)
i will respect what you are saying, i just didn't think that was that much that needed to be retooled.

however i will give bowman his dues. this yr he did a great job.

signing richard

making trades at the end, who cares if they were needed or not, it showed that he went out and got the team the players.

ala mike keenan going out and getting gilmore and a dman.

Come on now, look at the roster turnover from 2010 - 2013 - 2015. There was a tremendous amount of retooling

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 11:23 PM)
Held the cup tonight. It was awesome.

back in 2004 it was in Orlando during the Lightning-Flames Final and i went to see it at Disney. such a neat moment to touch something so iconic in sports. waited in line for like 45 minutes and the whole experience lasted maybe 60 seconds. I have a few pics but i'd have to hunt for them. sucks that it was right before everyone had a camera phone, would've been easier to store digitally.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 07:38 PM)
Come on now, look at the roster turnover from 2010 - 2013 - 2015. There was a tremendous amount of retooling

I remember after 2010 how fans who were new to the Blackhawks were up in arms when they git rid of Dustin Byfuglien. It's just the nature of the NHL and salary cap. They got their core and build around it.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 05:41 PM)
read the whole post before you start your yapping. here is the point and i will block it for you. so tell my in your limited observation where i said about getting rid of him and so forth and so on. b/c Dale Tallon was the architect of this team and was pushed out. i still think Tallon is the better GM and unlike Bowman, didn't have a daddy to help him. btw, i dare you to say i am wrong, b/c the yr before Tallon was let go, the 2 bowmans were talking about the draft and daddy bowman was giving him advise.

I understand your point about Tallon, the majority of the top talent was acquired under his watch. I think that is easily forgotten given how everything else played out with the old man.

That being said, you are not giving Bowman enough credit for keeping those guys under the salary cap, while adding enough talent and depth around them to win it all. This team could throw any of its 4 lines out there at any time, how many other teams could do that? Look at the Penguins, they have almost just as much top talent as the Hawks, why can't they even make the conference finals? It's not as easy as it looks. Plus, who cares if Daddy Bowman is helping? He's not going anywhere, every GM needs advisors anyway.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 01:38 AM)

i understand your point, but i will come back to this weekend

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
I remember after 2010 how fans who were new to the Blackhawks were up in arms when they git rid of Dustin Byfuglien. It's just the nature of the NHL and salary cap. They got their core and build around it.

excellent point

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
I understand your point about Tallon, the majority of the top talent was acquired under his watch. I think that is easily forgotten given how everything else played out with the old man.

That being said, you are not giving Bowman enough credit for keeping those guys under the salary cap, while adding enough talent and depth around them to win it all. This team could throw any of its 4 lines out there at any time, how many other teams could do that? Look at the Penguins, they have almost just as much top talent as the Hawks, why can't they even make the conference finals? It's not as easy as it looks. Plus, who cares if Daddy Bowman is helping? He's not going anywhere, every GM needs advisors anyway.

with ref to stan and the salary cap i will explain later

he was, at the time employed, to the best of my recollection, to another team.

it was the like good ole boy connections. tallon did nothing to have been gotten rid off.

however this past season, stan show his smarts in addressing that need in trading for additional talent. now this off season with the state of fa's on the team, now he will be able to put indelible mark on the history of this team, at least for me.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)

it was the like good ole boy connections. tallon did nothing to have been gotten rid off.

however this past season, stan show his smarts in addressing that need in trading for additional talent. now this off season with the state of fa's on the team, now he will be able to put indelible mark on the history of this team, at least for me.

Brian Campbell, Cristobal Huet, and the RFA offer sheet blunder.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 09:08 AM)

Exactly, he showed nothing that he would be able to manage the cap. He absolutely deserves credit for his drafting, but the Hawks firing him to replace with Bowman was the single-most competent thing any chicago sports franchise has ever done.

The main reason the team had to be retooled after 2010 was because of Tallons mismanagement of the cap.

This is not true. Dale Tallon is a great evaluator of talent and was the reason why Toews/Kane were picked. He made some really good personnel moves and really has an eye for talent. That's not all that goes into the job though. He totally f***ed the salary cap because he doesn't know how to manage it. They wouldn't have won these 3 cups without Dale Tallon's prior acquisitions. They wouldn't have won them without Bowman either though. He's proven himself in my opinion.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)

with ref to those players you mention. campbell was a first round pick who was picked #3. at the time many thought he would develop to be a better player.

Huet, the team needed goalies and at the time needed players at key position. the rfa, the team didn't have any choice but to offer the offer sheet. yeah everything happened at one time, but decisions had to be made for the sake of the team, esp for the future.

that is why i keeping stating on the having the cost and contract spread out.

but with this team they were able to win the first stanley cup. a special win. the last time was in the 1960's.

the GM does not have the ability to have hindsight to make better judgement.

blackhawks roster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%93...ackhawks_season

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
I mean, did Savard really DESERVE to be fired. Not talking about Ventura level incompetence there.

and you got a point, but the point was, Q was avail and has a history of coaching exp. a decision was made, that was painful for all of savard fans, which i was one. but savard did not have that coaching exp and the hawks were trying to groom him, just like RV.