Non-Roster Invites

flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
Let's get grindy... right guys?

MLB Transactionist ‏@MLBTransactions 10m10 minutes ago Chicago, IL

OAKLAND ATHLETICS: Released infielder Nick Punto. http://j.mp/1zG3Nnc

Has it been ten years since Ozzie called Nick Punto and the Twins "pirañas?" Geez, I'm getting old. Correct that, I'm old. Period.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No announcements yet, but probably among the invitees:

Pitchers:

Jesse Crain- R

Carlos Rodon- L

Chris Beck- R

Joe Savery- L

Zach Phillips- L

Brad Penny- R

Logan Kensing- R

Maybe Nolan Sanburn?

Catchers:

George Kottaras

Geovany Soto

Infield:

Micah Johnson

Juan Diaz

Andy LaRoche

Outfield:

Tony Campana

Michael Taylor

Anderson and Hawkins probably will get a couple weeks in big league camp too. Danish has been rumored to have an invite.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
Announcement coming....24 invited. That's a lot.

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/107...spring-training

Scott Carroll lives.

Figured Carroll would be back.

Edit to add that a lot of those vets have MLB experience and some of them had a lot of success at the MLB level.

I think out of all the NRI's announced, I'm most excited about Soto. The Sox signing him makes me feel like the organization is really looking to challenge the catcher position. I think it also all but guarantees that Nieto starts in the minors. Flowers, Brantly, Kottaras, Soto, and Nieto. Thats A LOT of guys competing for the backup catcher position (not including Flowers). Any single one of them could be serviceable IMO. Not great... but serviceable.

It's nice to see Crain given another shot too.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 01:44 AM)
I think out of all the NRI's announced, I'm most excited about Soto. The Sox signing him makes me feel like the organization is really looking to challenge the catcher position. I think it also all but guarantees that Nieto starts in the minors. Flowers, Brantly, Kottaras, Soto, and Nieto. Thats A LOT of guys competing for the backup catcher position (not including Flowers). Any single one of them could be serviceable IMO. Not great... but serviceable.

It's nice to see Crain given another shot too.

the idea, for me is get as many bodies in spring training and again, maybe pull a diamond out,

or in this case get a serviceable player.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 11:37 PM)
Besides the obvious, I'm excited to see how Sanburn does.

well it will do 1 thing, let all the fans know what kind of prospect he is and what

kind of prospect he can be. in other words a serviceable player or a slug.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)
Well likely need Carroll as a spot starter this year so that's good he's back. 4th OF options are a little disappointing.

I don't think there's a spot for him. I feel like you have to take the best 7 and I just don't think he's one of them.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
I don't think there's a spot for him. I feel like you have to take the best 7 and I just don't think he's one of them.

I think there is. Many times the spot starter is a guy who you don't want to mess with his routine or don't want to use an option if he is a good prospect. There really isn't another "long guy" to use that spot on that isn't in the long term starter plans.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)
After 4/11, the Sox won't need a 5th starter until the 21st. So Noesi will probably be in the pen as an emergency pitcher in between. Very unlikely Carroll makes the club out of spring training.

If the Sox are smart they don't skip anyone and give Sale and Q who have been shown to tire at the end of the season more rest early on. With the hope of playoffs this year the Sox may want to decrease the starts a little.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
If the Sox are smart they don't skip anyone and give Sale and Q who have been shown to tire at the end of the season more rest early on. With the hope of playoffs this year the Sox may want to decrease the starts a little.

Disagree. The 5th starter is there to service the other four. Plus there is a Monday/Thursday off day the second week.

If the Sox don't lean on Sale, Samardzija, and Quintana for 33 starts, that would be a mistake.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)

They have always been smart about that. They very rarely use the start skip, unless it is to rest someone. While they believe in higher pitch counts during games, they seem to be smart about managing the total innings over a year, and how hard a pitcher works over a period of time. To me, its seemed like it works because they have been remarkably healthy over the last decade plus.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)

Is Carroll better than: Robertson, Petricka, Guerra, Webb, Putnam, Jennings, or Duke? If Crain is healthy somehow that leaves another spot. Not to mention guys like Onelki Garcia and Cleto. I take my best 7. Carroll isn't one of them. He starts in Charlotte or goes to another organization.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)
Is Carroll better than: Robertson, Petricka, Guerra, Webb, Putnam, Jennings, or Duke? If Crain is healthy somehow that leaves another spot. Not to mention guys like Onelki Garcia and Cleto. I take my best 7. Carroll isn't one of them. He starts in Charlotte or goes to another organization.

I tend to agree. I like having him in Charlotte as injury depth though, especially if a starter goes down. Other than Rodon, there aren't a lot of starters who look major league ready in the system right now. Beck, Recchia & Montas all need more time (and of course have different ceilings but that's another matter). Point is there is a time gap there, and Carroll can help provide insurance for 2015.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)
In my opinion, if Scott Carroll starts a game for the 2015 White Sox, something went terribly wrong.

If Scott Carroll starts 3 or more games, I'd say something has gone terribly wrong. But if it's like the 2nd of a double header or a quick start to eat some innings while the pitching staff is depleted, it's not as big of a deal to me.