Anybody else left feeling a little disappointed?

ron883

in actuality, disappointed is the wrong word to use, or is it. maybe its

the context of the sentence. i acknowledge that Hahn and the sox have

done a fantastic job in rebuilding esp in a short time. that is a given.

i am a little sad / angry that in my opinion the job is not yet done or

competed. i have a feeling that the sox are going to see what they have

in Erik Johnson, Rodon and maybe even Beck. again seeing if these

players are ready or not.

if they were not going to continue with the rebuild, then why even bother

to rebuild at all, why trade for Jeff S??? why do the lip service of convincing

the fans that they, the sox will compete.... oh i see, to sell tickets.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 18, 2015 -> 06:48 PM)
I agree, we've made many moves that make us a contender for the AL Central. Spending some more to acquire/sign a Zimmerman, Scherzer, or Shields would move us from division contenders to World Series contenders. We've gone this far, so why not finish it off?

It's an assumption that were one player away from the World Series. How did David Price to Detroit work out? Maybe this team jells really well, maybe it doesn't. Either way, we don't know if we're one player away or not.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
in actuality, disappointed is the wrong word to use, or is it. maybe its

the context of the sentence. i acknowledge that Hahn and the sox have

done a fantastic job in rebuilding esp in a short time. that is a given.

i am a little sad / angry that in my opinion the job is not yet done or

competed. i have a feeling that the sox are going to see what they have

in Erik Johnson, Rodon and maybe even Beck. again seeing if these

players are ready or not.

if they were not going to continue with the rebuild, then why even bother

to rebuild at all, why trade for Jeff S??? why do the lip service of convincing

the fans that they, the sox will compete.... oh i see, to sell tickets.

How is signing LaRoche, Duke, Robertson, Bonifacio, and Cabrera AND trading for Samardzija and Jennings lip service? The Sox made so many improvements this offseason, and they are in much better shape to contend. That's getting stuff done. That's actually doing what needs to be done.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
How is signing LaRoche, Duke, Robertson, Bonifacio, and Cabrera AND trading for Samardzija and Jennings lip service? The Sox made so many improvements this offseason, and they are in much better shape to contend. That's getting stuff done. That's actually doing what needs to be done.

did i say that the sox never improved this yr???? show me where i did say

anything of the sort.

i said the sox haven't finished the rebuilding, and i don't they would do

anymore excepts for backups.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)
You keep moving the goal posts here. My point was that there are ways to build perennial winners without spending money and spending vast amounts of money has shown to be ineffective in building winners. You wouldn't be happy with what the Braves built and you wouldn't have been happy this offseason without the Sox signing Scherzer. Your desires are unreasonable.

The playoffs are a spontaneous outcome each and every year. The White Sox have one of the best front ends of any rotation and need to get to the playoffs as often as possible. You can expect the team to sign Scherzer after adding 145 million in contracts to LaRoche, Cabrera, Duke, Robertson and Samardzija but I'll stay in reality.

great post.

my take is the sox can continue to build and the final piece may not be the

fa rt but thru a trade.

if the season started right now, i am more than sure, my opinion may be a

minority here, about the sox needs. i am sure many fans are extremely

stoke by what the sox have done.

so i guess i am of the few that will always look at the glass as half full, as

someone already posted it.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
great post.

my take is the sox can continue to build and the final piece may not be the

fa rt but thru a trade.

if the season started right now, i am more than sure, my opinion may be a

minority here, about the sox needs. i am sure many fans are extremely

stoke by what the sox have done.

so i guess i am of the few that will always look at the glass as half full, as

someone already posted it.

excuse you

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)
did i say that the sox never improved this yr???? show me where i did say

anything of the sort.

i said the sox haven't finished the rebuilding, and i don't they would do

anymore excepts for backups.

I misinterpreted what you were saying. Sorry about that.

What is the final piece, though? I imagine there are plenty of different ideas from the fan base. I'd like to see one more proven starting pitcher, but that could get costly. The bullpen is much better, but they could still shore it up a bit more. There's a question mark at 2B, but that might be a lower priority.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)
I misinterpreted what you were saying. Sorry about that.

What is the final piece, though? I imagine there are plenty of different ideas from the fan base. I'd like to see one more proven starting pitcher, but that could get costly. The bullpen is much better, but they could still shore it up a bit more. There's a question mark at 2B, but that might be a lower priority.

don't sweat about it. sox baseball is just around the corner..... :D

here is the thing, all sox fans has many ideas on how to fix the team. i am

just one of those fans.

the one who has the answer is the owner, he has control of the money

bag.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 12:52 AM)
The 2 teams who went to the world series last year won wild card play in games. If you're a division contender, you're a world series contender.

Kind of along my line of thought. I was going to say that with all the moves we have made this off season, and the return to health of some players, how can you say we are not World Series contenders?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)
Kind of along my line of thought. I was going to say that with all the moves we have made this off season, and the return to health of some players, how can you say we are not World Series contenders?

psst .... until the season starts, and all players are signed to there

teams. the sox are not WS favorites. i say the sox are Wild Card

contenders.

With the budget being exceeded and a lot of new players, we may be at the point of owners wanting to see how this team comes together. If it is in contention or playing well you may add a further piece during the season. If it was your money, it wouldn't be unreasonable to say "lets see how this is working out'' before dropping further big bucks.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
With the budget being exceeded and a lot of new players, we may be at the point of owners wanting to see how this team comes together. If it is in contention or playing well you may add a further piece during the season. If it was your money, it wouldn't be unreasonable to say "lets see how this is working out'' before dropping further big bucks.

That's true.

And leave yourself some flexibility until you find out where the weaknesses are. What if A Garcia doesn't hit? Or Gillaspie?

And I know, I know, we could have traded all of our prospects for the beloved "proven veterans" for those spots and made the point moot, but that's not realistic. You need to use young players or you will never field a winner.

As it is, I think we may have some bullpen excess this year; whether we have the guts to use it mid-season, I don't know, but it could be used.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
psst .... until the season starts, and all players are signed to there

teams. the sox are not WS favorites. i say the sox are Wild Card

contenders.

He said "World Series contenders", not favorites. Nice try.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 07:49 PM)

ahhh don't give me that. JR mo has always been do enuf to try to compete and make

the playoff. for once i am saying, get and stack the team. all can be said about the money

and exceeding the budget, but the budget is based on money they received by fans and

ticket sales. the sox wants to have those advance tickets sold first and bank the money,

before they do anything.

i refuse to hear poor sox in a financial way. they have plenty of money.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
That's true.

And leave yourself some flexibility until you find out where the weaknesses are. What if A Garcia doesn't hit? Or Gillaspie?

And I know, I know, we could have traded all of our prospects for the beloved "proven veterans" for those spots and made the point moot, but that's not realistic. You need to use young players or you will never field a winner.

As it is, I think we may have some bullpen excess this year; whether we have the guts to use it mid-season, I don't know, but it could be used.

the timing is wrong, now is the time to go forward and invest in making minor moves

to help when the surplus is now. some teams will be wanting to move players now, before

spring training.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
He said "World Series contenders", not favorites. Nice try.

and what is the difference with what i said and meant esp when i said

Wild card???

pls don't get me wrong, i am not picking an argument, i am a little confuse.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)
This is definitely not the time to be disappointed at all. The Christmas analogy was great. People are being brats if they want more right now. Time for players to achieve

2015 is going to be a great season.... do not get me wrong on this. i can't wait for

the start of the season.

but at the same time, lets not pull the wool over our eyes.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 09:24 PM)
2015 is going to be a great season.... do not get me wrong on this. i can't wait for

the start of the season.

but at the same time, lets not pull the wool over our eyes.

There are more than enough good players on this team to where Robin 'should' get axed if we don't finish over .500 at least.

I mean geez. You got Shark, Sale and Q (though somebody I trust told me today Q is overrated). You got Abreu, Melky, A. Garcia, Eaton, Alexei and LaRoche for gosh sakes.

You got a catcher who is pretty good defensively. And you got a strong closer and enough candidates where you should be able to piece together a bullpen (cmon Coop, do it!).

Sox don't NEED to make any more moves. Players need to perform.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2015 -> 06:18 PM)
Hahn and the White Sox knocked it out of the park this winter. Between last year and this year they have moved the rebuild up at least one year, if not two. Even if they don't win this year, they have set themselves up with a really nice window to be contenders, and they didn't hurt the future to do it. This off-season has been beyond my wildest dreams, and I couldn't be more happy about it.

This. Thanks, hi8is.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 07:06 AM)
There are more than enough good players on this team to where Robin 'should' get axed if we don't finish over .500 at least.

I mean geez. You got Shark, Sale and Q (though somebody I trust told me today Q is overrated). You got Abreu, Melky, A. Garcia, Eaton, Alexei and LaRoche for gosh sakes.

You got a catcher who is pretty good defensively. And you got a strong closer and enough candidates where you should be able to piece together a bullpen (cmon Coop, do it!).

Sox don't NEED to make any more moves. Players need to perform.

and that is the bullcrap that gets to me. wash has a viable 6 man rotation, bos

is signing a pitcher i really like in eveland (sp) padres are looking to adding arms.

the sox have a 1 yr rental in jeff s, many are expecting rodon to come in lights

out and pitch. the 4/5 of the rotation has question marks.

what happen an injury happens, what happen if hector doesn't perform like last

yr. what happen if erik johnson or beck does not come thru.

this is basically what happen last yr. i am not being overally negative, more like

cautious. but this is what JR does, just spend enuf to entice, to get the fans

hype, to bring in advance ticket sales.

Hahn and the White Sox knocked it out of the park this winter. Between last year and this year they have moved the rebuild up at least one year, if not two. Even if they don't win this year, they have set themselves up with a really nice window to be contenders, and they didn't hurt the future to do it. This off-season has been beyond my wildest dreams, and I couldn't be more happy about it.

again, setting them selves up not to go forward. the window of opportunity

is now, why do this and have a 1 yr rental in jeff s is they will not go all

the way.

tell me, can you actually see the sox going far in the playoff, or even make the

playoff with this rotation???

i am a die heart fans of sox baseball. but other teams are still getting themselves

in a position to acquire more pieces.

the window of opportunity is now......

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 07:11 AM)
again, setting them selves up not to go forward. the window of opportunity

is now, why do this and have a 1 yr rental in jeff s is they will not go all

the way.

tell me, can you actually see the sox going far in the playoff, or even make the

playoff with this rotation???

i am a die heart fans of sox baseball. but other teams are still getting themselves

in a position to acquire more pieces.

the window of opportunity is now......

I think you're right that the team has holes and lacks depth, but now you're seeing why so many of us were/are hesitant to "push the chips in" so soon. I think many of us often forget that there's only so much a GM can accomplish over a given period of time. You can't just say "I want that guy" and pay up -- other parties have to agree to contract condition and trade proposals, and things are ALWAYS more complicated than we assume from the fan perspective.

The best way to look at this team is that it's definitely good enough to contend. Yes, most things are going to need to go well. Yes, an injury or two could derail it. But this signals a period of time where Rick Hahn is planning (and will be expected) to put a competitive team on the field every year that he holds his job.

But you're going to be able to find holes. You're not likely to be able to go into a season confident that every position looks awesome.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
I think you're right that the team has holes and lacks depth, but now you're seeing why so many of us were/are hesitant to "push the chips in" so soon. I think many of us often forget that there's only so much a GM can accomplish over a given period of time. You can't just say "I want that guy" and pay up -- other parties have to agree to contract condition and trade proposals, and things are ALWAYS more complicated than we assume from the fan perspective.

The best way to look at this team is that it's definitely good enough to contend. Yes, most things are going to need to go well. Yes, an injury or two could derail it. But this signals a period of time where Rick Hahn is planning (and will be expected) to put a competitive team on the field every year that he holds his job.

But you're going to be able to find holes. You're not likely to be able to go into a season confident that every position looks awesome.

The big thing here is that nothing we have done so far weakened our prospects in the future. No key pieces of the team were given up. No ridiculous contracts were signed. The worst thing we did it potentially handicap the ability to spend more dollars in 2015. What we did was to open up our window a year, maybe even two years, early. We opened that window and left ourselves the type of squad is going to be looking to win for the next few years.

Is it perfect? No. But then again no team in the AL Central is perfect. The leaders all have major holes.