Keith Law's farm system rankings

almagest

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big thing to think about is that these are subjective rankings and it would stand to reason that Law values having high end talent - I'm guessing his top 4 for the Sox are Rodon, Anderson, Montas, and Adams - as opposed to having an abundance of depth. Kylie McDaniel has touched on a lot of this at FanGraphs - is a system better having four potential 3-6 WAR players throughout the minors with little beyond that or is it better to have ten or so 2-4 WAR players, some of whom won't play full time and some who will likely play in the minors, thus limiting their overall value but all the while maintaining value both as a trade chip and as a plug and play option? It's a valid point and is worthy of debate.

Typically I'd take the elite talent because it's a lot harder to find and accumulate, but there's no wrong answer.

It seems like a snippet to me, but please feel free to delete this post if you think it's too much:

12. Chicago White Sox

They've added four players within the top-120 range of prospects in the past 24 months, via the draft and one trade, and they didn't give up any of those premium guys to add Jeff Samardzija this offseason. Although the system still isn't deep in average prospects, it is in the best shape it has been since I started ranking organizations seven years ago.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
I think that blurb sums up everything pretty well.

EDIT: and good call Wite, he's definitely talking about Rodon, Anderson, Montas and Adams there.

Yeah that's the big 4. There MAY be a T100 list from someone who could have Micah, or even Tyler Danish, but it would be the outlier.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
It seems like a snippet to me, but please feel free to delete this post if you think it's too much:

Very encouraging to see. I think this year can be the year where some of our younger players (Martinez, Guerrero, Rondon, Wendelken,) will take a leap and be much better than average towards the end of our farm.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
i guess this ends that notion that K.Law was biased against the Sox. This seems like we were ranked too high (not that i'm dedicated to this study night and day, etc)

Maybe he doesn't anymore, but when KW was getting the credit, IMO, he did. KW can rub people the wrong way. It is the biggest reason Schueler reccommended Dan Evans as his replacement over KW. I think he rubbed Law the wrong way, and Law had a tough time letting it go.

That said, farm system rankings are about as valuable as attendance trophies. What really matters is what other teams think, if you are going to trade them, and what they really are if you plan on keeping them.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
White Sox 12th.

First top-half finish in a long time.

But we cannot be putting in large parts of the article here. People can summarize in their own words, or do little quotes or snippets. But we can't go pasting large parts of billable content here.

Yeah, I understand that, which is why I mentioned a summary of the Sox + the ranking list. I figured that would be ok.

I think that Law will have Rodon, Montas, Anderson, and Micah in his top 100. He will also have 1 more guy either Danish/Adams that falls into that 100-120 range. He said earlier in offseason that he'd have 4 top 100 guys. I think he just meant that they added 4 top 120ish guys. Didn't say those were the only ones.

waking up and reading this, about the system being 12th, and 4 player in the 120. nice... i like the idea of Rodon, Anderson, Montas, and here is where it gets dicey. Adams, M Johnson and even Danish. i am liking Adams, Johnson may have the tools, but his lack of hitting last yr.... Danish... he is steady.

now i am still high on Jace Fry. another yr in developing...

well that is my opinion.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 09:45 PM)
Micah wouldn't fit the preceding criterion. While he most definitely could be in Law's top 120, he would be at least the 5th with Anderson, Montas, Rodon and Adams being the first four. Perhaps Danish over Adams but I doubt it considering what I've seen Law say about both of them.

Ah yes, I see that now

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 03:45 AM)
Micah wouldn't fit the preceding criterion. While he most definitely could be in Law's top 120, he would be at least the 5th with Anderson, Montas, Rodon and Adams being the first four. Perhaps Danish over Adams but I doubt it considering what I've seen Law say about both of them.

IIRC, Law said during the season that Johnson was going to be a top 100 prospect after the year. However, I know he's not counting him in the 4 in the last two years.