2015-16 NHL thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
I bet Tiger has had more hook ups than Kane. I haven't read of any police involvement as of yet.

Oh, I thought you meant simply the stories getting to the press.

There obviously was the domestic incident and car accident that led to the whole story getting out.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
Well, there are a couple of reasons. First, there is just the issue of putting the cart before the horse. Talking about the salary cap is leaping ahead of several mysteries: what happened that night, what will come of the legal side of things, and what the league or team will do. All of those things depend on one another. Knowing more about what happened will give insight into each of the following steps in the process and is probably the order in which we find out. At this point, our speculation about Kane's contract will have as much structural integrity as a house of cards.

The second reason is the moral decision-making we have to do. The legal outcome of the investigation will of course be in large part determined by "the truth," but we know through experience that there is nothing nearing a guarantee that justice is done. That's just how the world works, for better or worse. The legal system tries to err on the side of innocence, procedural minutiae can become big factors, and there is of course the looming potential for a settlement that can be an attempt to hide the facts from view. One of my priorities as a fan is to be able to figure out what I think of this situation so I can interpret developments properly. If I think Kane is victim to a shakedown, I'm not going to support punishment. If I think Kane is a criminal, I'll be upset if he is unpunished.

I see.

I don't really concern myself with things that don't affect me when it comes to this incident. Obviously there is some interest to the story, but ultimately, this impacts me in one way: how will it affect my enjoyment of watching the Blackhawks.

For the vast majority of fans, the impact on the Blackhawks, is, in my opinion, the most pertinent outcome of this incident.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
We have reached the bottom of the barrel when the sexual harasser Dan Bernstein is lecturing people on how to handle the Kane story.

670 The Score ‏@670TheScore 2h2 hours ago

Regarding Patrick Kane discussion, it's important to avoid confusion, writes @dan_bernstein: http://cbsloc.al/1HGKnj1

Kane has nice boobs...

We have reached the bottom of the barrel when the sexual harasser Dan Bernstein is lecturing people on how to handle the Kane story.

Regarding Patrick Kane discussion, it's important to avoid confusion, writes @dan_bernstein: http://cbsloc.al/1HGKnj1

That is the truth.

You know, I really wish one of his fellow media guys would call him on that too.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 03:46 PM)
You know, I really wish one of his fellow media guys would call him on that too.

Why does that matter at all? Unless DB raped someone, this is a non story relative to what Patrick Kane has done. I know you feel hurt because you're a Blackhawks fan. Get over it. Your hero may be a complete monster.

Luckily for you, he likely gets away with it.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
Why does that matter at all? Unless DB raped someone, this is a non story relative to what Patrick Kane has done. I know you feel hurt because you're a Blackhawks fan. Get over it. Your hero may be a complete monster.

Fascinating insight. Bravo.

People who engage in sexual harrassment are pretty bad people to be speaking down to people on how to react to allegations of sexual assault. It like like having the Klan speak to racial equality.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
People who engage in sexual harrassment are pretty bad people to be speaking down to people on how to react to allegations of sexual assault. It like like having the Klan speak to racial equality.

I'm not even really sure what the point of his article was.

My take is he was simply saying that this act should be considered in isolation as indicative of other behavioral issues that cannot simply be chalked up to abuse of alcohol.

I don't know if that is incorrect. But I would say that someone who binge drinks certainly opens him or herself up to a variety of potential behaviors which he or she might never consider doing if not in an extremely intoxicated state.

If he has indeed sexually harassed women before, I suppose it does seem a bit hypocritical. However, I'm not sure that precludes him from commenting on the issue.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 06:25 PM)
I'm not even really sure what the point of his article was.

My take is he was simply saying that this act should be considered in isolation as indicative of other behavioral issues that cannot simply be chalked up to abuse of alcohol.

I don't know if that is incorrect. But I would say that someone who binge drinks certainly opens him or herself up to a variety of potential behaviors which he or she might never consider doing if not in an extremely intoxicated state.

If he has indeed sexually harassed women before, I suppose it does seem a bit hypocritical. However, I'm not sure that precludes him from commenting on the issue.

If someone else had written this, I could take it seriously. With Dan Bernstein's history, no way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 04:33 PM)
If someone else had written this, I could take it seriously. With Dan Bernstein's history, no way.

Well, that would presume anyone could take anything he says or writes seriously.

The guy is a complete douche.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)

Why? Because sexual harassment is something even close to rape? Please. You're trying to defend an alleged rapist because you want to have another parade in your city. You don't know Patrick Kane and he doesn't know you.

I'm embarrassed for the city of Chicago and their despicable victim blaming of a young woman. I suppose a bandwagon fanbase would be a second rate one at that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)

No, it's not. It's like a thief speaking to you about manslaughter. Sexual harassment is bad, I get it all the time, but rape is quite another thing.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
Why? Because sexual harassment is something even close to rape? Please. You're trying to defend an alleged rapist because you want to have another parade in your city. You don't know Patrick Kane and he doesn't know you.

I'm embarrassed for the city of Chicago and their despicable victim blaming of a young woman. I suppose a bandwagon fanbase would be a second rate one at that.

Honestly I am embarrassed by the fact you would jump into a thread and start accusing people of things when you haven't read a damned thing.

With all due respect, you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. The last thing I would ever do is defend Patrick Kane. If you read any of this thread for the last few days, you would understand that. If you want to actually take a minute and read, you would discover that.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)

Let's be really honest about this. The facts have yet to be presented. There can be no victim blaming when no one has a clue what actually happened.

There are no charges filed yet. Just an investigation that is dragging on longer and longer.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)

It's pretty evident that your Stars fandom is coloring your perception, just as you say it's affecting that of Hawks' fans.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 07:29 PM)
It's pretty evident that your Stars fandom is coloring your perception, just as you say it's affecting that of Hawks' fans.

Hockey has nothing to do with it. I would never support a scumbag. I'm mad about Greg Hardy, too.

Edited by AustinIllini

In my almost ten years on ST no one has ever managed to genuinely piss me off with a response to one of my posts until you. You must have me confused with someone else. Why the hell do you think I am some fanatic Kane backer for one? I am 33 years old with a lot of life experiences and I can honestly say that there is not one sports figure that could even come close to being a hero in my book unless they have done something that really matters in this world. Where have I once defended Kane in this thread? Kane is a premier douchebag and deserves whatever he has coming to him whether he is guilty or not. I couldn't give a s*** how it may effect the Hawks line. The only reason why I made my post was to talk about Bernstein always on his high horse judging people but never expects to be judged because he had great debate skills.

But luckily for me Kane is going to get away with rape because he is my hero? Yeah okay, go troll someone else dude.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
I see.

I don't really concern myself with things that don't affect me when it comes to this incident. Obviously there is some interest to the story, but ultimately, this impacts me in one way: how will it affect my enjoyment of watching the Blackhawks.

For the vast majority of fans, the impact on the Blackhawks, is, in my opinion, the most pertinent outcome of this incident.

I'm not trying to make myself out as some special person who is interested in this story because I have an uncommon level of empathy/concern/whatever. I am paying attention to this particular allegation because I have always liked Patrick Kane and, moreso, the Blackhawks. I don't want to pretend this isn't because of the Blackhawks. I care about these issues in general, for sure, but I can't possibly follow every investigation that happens.

But my enjoyment of the Blackhawks is very much related to the amount of rapists on the ice for them. I don't want to be fanatical about the most obviously morally dubious people (I put it that way since I can't expect everyone to be a great person nor can I reasonably police every aspect of their lives).

What was the allegation or charge with Wil Cordero (pre-dating) when he played for the Sox?

Can't think of many similar examples, other than Belle and D'Angelo Jimenez.

Steroids/peds use can't really be equated here, although some fans are equally offended I suppose.