2015-16 NHL thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 12:15 AM)
Saad wasnt going to sign a one year bridge dea. The Hawks would have lost him or overpaid him. Instead they got a promising young player for him. Its not great to lose a player of his caliber but the Hawks simply could not have paid Saad that much money moving forward.

a bridge deal as you said, well that would be up to him and signing the contract.... either way, it would have given the hawks time to make a better deal. either way, if he signed with the other team, 4-1 rounder.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 06:17 PM)
a bridge deal as you said, well that would be up to him and signing the contract.... either way, it would have given the hawks time to make a better deal. either way, if he signed with the other team, 4-1 rounder.

FYI

Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 First Round, Second Round, and Third

Round

SO your four first rounders arent really the case. And the Hawks got back a first round pick who is already scoring in the NHL, and a player they were already targeting to fill a roster hole.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)
I will say this. Dano is a really intriguing young player.

He is the key to the deal. He averaged around 13 minutes a game yet was second on the team with a +12 . Smallish excellent 2 way player who fits the Hawks mold and isn't afraid to mix it up in the corners. His production with the BJ's was better than it was in the AHL. Surround him with talent and he produces.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 12:13 AM)
Right now without anything else being done the Hawks are under the cap by 671,538

lets not forget the colossal over estimation last week, were the hawks salary could have been 10 mil less.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
Signing a restricted free agent to a contract worth over $6,539,062 per year costs a team four first-round draft picks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_fr...alifying_offers

Seven years ago, yes.

1,110,249 or below None

Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 Third Round

Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 Second Round

Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 First Round and Third Round

Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 First Round, Second Round, and Third

Round

Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 Two First Rounds, Second Round, and

Third Round

Over $8,410,976 Four First Rounds

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)
He is the key to the deal. He averaged around 13 minutes a game yet was second on the team with a +12 . Smallish excellent 2 way player who fits the Hawks mold and isn't afraid to mix it up in the corners. His production with the BJ's was better than it was in the AHL. Surround him with talent and he produces.

You basically hope he turns into a top 6 forward or at least the value of a first round pick.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 12:25 AM)
You basically hope he turns into a top 6 forward or at least the value of a first round pick.

but this is again how many yrs will this take. i am talking about next yrs season and playoff.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 12:29 AM)
Www.google.com

Look for something that doesnt reference 2008

and what is soo different from my link??? if this is the best you can provide, i am done with you.... keep pretending you know stuff.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 06:30 PM)
and what is soo different from my link??? if this is the best you can provide, i am done with you.... keep pretending you know stuff.

Not the best source but, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offer_sheet

$5,478,986 to $7,305,316 First-, second-, and third-round pick

I mean before you call someone out maybe should look it up

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)

I hope Hossa shows him the ropes as a fellow countrymen.

As for Saad vs Keith, Rock, you can't compare the two contracts. Keith was signed under the old CBA and it's cap circumvention. If that's the case, might as well ask why Sharp is paid more too and Seabrook when he gets his new deal. Keith has one of the best contracts in the game.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 06:30 PM)

My information was from the NHL's CBA. But yes, I just made it up.

Here's a bunch of links, have fun reading my made up "stuff"

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/6/21...e-3-free-agency

http://www.burgundybrigade.com/2014/06/06/...ed-free-agents/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offer_sheet

I even put a Wikipedia link in there for ya. The next thing you should do is walk down to an Apple Store and ask a genius how to use "search"

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 06:35 PM)
then look at my link that i posted on nhl restricted offers. also from google and also from wilki.

For example:

In 2008 a team that signed a restricted free agent to a salary averaging $2,615,625 to $3,923,437 per season lost a first-round draft pick and a third-round draft pick to the player’s former team.

Signing a restricted free agent to a contract worth over $6,539,062 per year costs a team four first-round draft picks.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 06:32 PM)
I hope Hossa shows him the ropes as a fellow countrymen.

As for Saad vs Keith, Rock, you can't compare the two contracts. Keith was signed under the old CBA and it's cap circumvention. If that's the case, might as well ask why Sharp is paid more too and Seabrook when he gets his new deal. Keith has one of the best contracts in the game.

I can compare them because the value still holds IMO, and I believe we all believe that Sharp at one time was pretty close to equal value but now thats clearly swapped by quite a bit. I still hold the line that Saad is not worth 6.5 million against the cap.

NHL

A player who is no longer considered to be entry-level, but does not qualify as an unrestricted free agent, becomes a restricted free agent when his contract expires. A player may only declare himself to be an unrestricted free agent if he is over the age of 27 or has played in the league for a minimum of 7 years.

Qualifying offers

The current team must extend a "qualifying offer" to a restricted free agent to retain negotiating rights to that player. Qualifying offers are for one year contracts. The minimum salary for the qualifying offer depends on the player's prior year salary.

Players who earned less than $660,000 in the previous season must be offered 110 percent of last season's salary. Players making up to $1 million must be offered 105 percent. Players making over $1 million must be offered 100 percent.

If the qualifying offer is not made, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.

If the player rejects a qualifying offer, he remains a restricted free agent.

If the player does not sign before December 1, he is ineligible to play in the NHL for the remainder of the season.

Possible outcomes

If a player accepts a qualifying offer, he then signs a one-year contract with his current team under the terms of the offer. If the player rejects the qualifying offer, or has not yet accepted it he is able to negotiate offer sheets with other teams. Qualifying offers are required for a team to retain a player's rights, but in most cases the player and team will agree to a contract differing from the qualifying offer. Should the player sign an offer sheet with another team, his current team is notified and can no longer negotiate a new contract or trade the player rights to another team. The current team has 7 days to make a decision whether to match the offer sheet, or decline and receive draft pick compensation from the team making the offer sheet.

Accept The player remains with his current team on a contract identical to that of the offer sheet. With the exception that the current team does not have to match any clauses restricting their ability to trade or reassign the player like a "no trade clause". The team is not allowed to trade the player for one year.

Decline The player becomes a member of the team with whom he signed the offer sheet under all the terms of said offer sheet. His now former team claims draft picks from the player’s new team as compensation. Compensatory draft picks are determined by the player’s new salary on a sliding scale.

now i read what you posted and i saw right there, from 2008-2015 where it is valid.

so i step back and compared the 2 wilki......

i will admit it. i was wrong. the other was valid until 2008.

i apologize in my comment. my only point is i read wilki wrong.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 11:38 PM)
I can compare them because the value still holds IMO, and I believe we all believe that Sharp at one time was pretty close to equal value but now thats clearly swapped by quite a bit. I still hold the line that Saad is not worth 6.5 million against the cap.

that is not the point, a contract is a contract and there is no stipulations in any contract.

since all people have opinions, those opinions are all subjective, so someone thought he is worth the price.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
Anyone else following this Mike Richards buy out, now "termination" of his contract? Looks like the Kings are trying to get out of that 10 year salary cap hit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
Whoa. I wonder what the story is.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 11m11 minutes ago

On LA terminating Mike Richards' contract for "material breach," there are myriad reasons why details can't be made public at this time.

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=772865

He was at a club doing a "comedy" routine, but it was really a barrage of racism.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 11:49 PM)
What? My best guess is you are simply looking at things in a vacuum, even though you know there is a cap.

I agree with Bowman does was 6.5 per, then it doesn't fit and I'm glad he got something. Now, we are going to find out in the next 48 hours what Saad is actually going to receive. If it actually is 6.5 or anywhere close to that, Bowman can't be put over the coals too much for this deal, even though losing Saad is very tough to stomach. It's the cost of winning.

I also still stand by the fact if Bickell and his salary are on the roster next season, then I will be upset, that is a waste of valuable resources.

the window of winning is limited. that is why KW / the sox owners thought of continuing the winning of the WS by assembling other players. however in this situation, the hawks winning is still in the middle of that window. the architect of the team should be replacing players in a subtle way, with other players who can step right in without missing a beat.

this is not that case here. the salary for Saad, even at 6.5 mil can be worked around, esp if those rumored trades didn't materialize. this is not building a team that can compete in a couple of yrs. we are talking about next yr.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 11:44 PM)
He was at a club doing a "comedy" routine, but it was really a barrage of racism.

what gets me is, Mike Richards and or his camp is not responding..... yet.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 07:12 PM)
Also, from a forwards perspective, if they can bring in this lineup into 2015-2016, they still could be a fun team to watch, with some young players in key positions playing with highly skilled players along side them. Don't think the sky is falling.

Dano - Toews - Hossa

Panarin - Anisimov - Kane

Sharp - Tervainen - Versteeg

Desjardins - Kruger - Shaw

It's not bad and they can theoretically add someone. I'm still worried about the D though.

The Committed Indian always helps my sanity at times like this.

http://thecommittedindian.com/so-that-happened-2/#more-13947

No way the Hawks can pay him near 6/$6.5, so they had two choices. Trade him and get live bodies for 2015-16 or let him leave and get draft picks. Given that the team is in win now mode, you had to go with choice A.

Sure, this situation wasn't helped by a few contracts Bowman gave out, but it happens and it's just part of the modern day NHL system.