**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

Not sure what to make of that previous comment.

Sing Street, Elle (that's DEFINITELY not a date movie!)...would love to see them get Best Picture nominations, Sing Street might have an outside shot but they usually prefer to go with movies like Sully or Arrival that had better box office #'s/public recognition unless the critical appreciation is just about impossible to overlook. Loving is another movie in that category.

It seems LA LA Land and Moonlight for sure will be there, despite Moonlight's lack of visibility.

Another fascinating movie was The Invitation, which came out much earlier in the year and has been mostly forgotten.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 11, 2016 -> 04:31 PM)
Hell or High Water is a very good movie that fails because Chris Pine's beautiful eyes are instantly recognizable, a half ass ski mask does nothing.

People in those banks haven't seen the Star Trek movies, so he's good.

Make sure you see Rouge One in IMAX because you'll see the Dunkirk prologue, the first 6mins of the movie. It's super intense and very fast paced. It starts in the middle of a battle and there's some insane aerial footage. The ending is insanely tense.

This really sells the 'action-thriller' tag way more than the trailer did. Hopefully it gets released online.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 05:20 AM)
Make sure you see Rouge One in IMAX because you'll see the Dunkirk prologue, the first 6mins of the movie. It's super intense and very fast paced. It starts in the middle of a battle and there's some insane aerial footage. The ending is insanely tense.

This really sells the 'action-thriller' tag way more than the trailer did. Hopefully it gets released online.

I have no interest in seeing the first 6 minutes of a movie I absolutely plan on seeing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
I have no interest in seeing the first 6 minutes of a movie I absolutely plan on seeing.

You have to admit though, it was pretty awesome seeing the bank heist scene in The Dark Knight before it came out

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)

I agree with this. I'll see that scene when I see the rest of the film.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
You have to admit though, it was pretty awesome seeing the bank heist scene in The Dark Knight before it came out

It was. I remember going with my mom to see it, we drove out to the city for my birthday to watch it, I think it was attached to I Am Legend. We did the same thing with TDKR.

I think the Dunkirk prologue captured war better than R1 did. Someone described it as nerve shredding intensity and I think that's the best way to describe it.

Here's a list of theaters where you can see it at: https://i.redd.it/fdeahkyb4r3y.jpg

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)
It was. I remember going with my mom to see it, we drove out to the city for my birthday to watch it, I think it was attached to I Am Legend. We did the same thing with TDKR.

I think the Dunkirk prologue captured war better than R1 did. Someone described it as nerve shredding intensity and I think that's the best way to describe it.

Here's a list of theaters where you can see it at: https://i.redd.it/fdeahkyb4r3y.jpg

I hope a WW2 biopic depicts/captures war better than a scifi movie.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
I hope a WW2 biopic depicts/captures war better than a scifi movie.

Star Wars isn't sci-fi, its fantasy.

But in all the featurettes for R1 everyone described the movie as a war film, I wouldn't call it that but maybe those featurettes were made before the film was re-shot.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
Star Wars isn't sci-fi, its fantasy.

But in all the featurettes for R1 everyone described the movie as a war film, I wouldn't call it that but maybe those featurettes were made before the film was re-shot.

You're trying too hard.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Shouldn't we be comparing it to Saving Private Ryan with the realism of the D Day/Normandy/Omaha beach landings?

Um no. Dunkirk took place in 1940. DDay took place in 1944. Duh.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
You're trying too hard.

I guess you couldn't pick out a joke if it hit you in the face.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Shouldn't we be comparing it to Saving Private Ryan with the realism of the D Day/Normandy/Omaha beach landings?

It reminded me a lot of Mad Max: Fury Road

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/50-best-movies...-132637823.html

Another Top 50 list with many of the same movies from the Entertainment Weekly Top 20.

Moonlight, La La Land and Manchester by the Sea continue to receive the most attention.

Brian, what's wrong with Passengers? I'm guessing it doesn't have anything to do with Jennifer Lawrence speaking out after the election? Bad early reviews?

99% Don't Think Twice

95% Tickled

86% Everybody Wants Some! Baseball-themed, cool music and Richard Linklater

98% Hunt for the Wilderpeople Sam Neill/Australian themed story

98% Embrace of the Serpent

93% Paterson (yet another Adam Driver movie, this one looks better)

90% The Witness

94% The Edge of Seventeen

96% Gleason (about former NFL player's battle with ALS, everyone absolutely loves this film)

90% Hidden Figures (coming out in January)

97% 13th (about the Amendment and prison system, promising director who did the MLK movie)

100% OJ: Made in America

Edited by caulfield12