2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
It's really not. They'll protect him and answer some questions for a few weeks then for the most part it'll go away because the picture and text messages just aren't a big deal for Tunsil.

You may have missed the last 24 hour round the clock coverage of him. PR nightmare indeed.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm really not trying to pile on, but that only makes you feel worse. He's a late-riser based on pure athleticism and the two much better options at linebacker careening down draft boards due to injury. That's not encouraging.

The Justin Houston comparison is a hollow one. Houston already weighed 30 lbs more than Floyd when Houston came out. And Floyd should have a mature build now than Houston did then, Houston has been in the league 5 years and he'll only be 3 years older than Floyd for Game 1. Houston also had 7.5 and 10.0 sacks his last two years at UGA, Floyd wishes he had those numbers.

The fact that he can supposedly play in a 4-3 doesn't matter to the Bears, because the Bears run a 3-4. They never mix fronts like that with Fangio either.

I'm sorry guys, I know you want to believe in Pace, but this was a s***ty pick. It was even s***tier to burn a 4th moving up for him. Pace can still be a good GM after Floyd busts, but this pick could've been used so many better ways and it will haunt the Bears.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 03:47 PM)
I'm really not trying to pile on, but that only makes you feel worse. He's a late-riser based on pure athleticism and the two much better options at linebacker careening down draft boards due to injury. That's not encouraging.

The Justin Houston comparison is a hollow one. Houston already weighed 30 lbs more than Floyd when Houston came out. And Floyd should have a mature build now than Houston did then, Houston has been in the league 5 years and he'll only be 3 years older than Floyd for Game 1. Houston also had 7.5 and 10.0 sacks his last two years at UGA, Floyd wishes he had those numbers.

The fact that he can supposedly play in a 4-3 doesn't matter to the Bears, because the Bears run a 3-4. They never mix fronts like that with Fangio either.

I'm sorry guys, I know you want to believe in Pace, but this was a s***ty pick. It was even s***tier to burn a 4th moving up for him. Pace can still be a good GM after Floyd busts, but this pick could've been used so many better ways and it will haunt the Bears.

The Bears absolutely mix fronts.

He's just 19 pounds lighter than Aldon Smith was coming out.

Man already calling Floyd and White busts before they even play one game.....Mercy.

@RapSheet

#Browns at 32, #Titans at 33 and #Cowboys at 34 are getting plenty of phone calls about trades. More fun coming tonight.

The Browns will have 47 picks before the draft is over and they will all be bad.

The Bears absolutely mix fronts.

He's just 19 pounds lighter than Aldon Smith was coming out.

Man already calling Floyd and White busts before they even play one game.....Mercy.

He's much older than Aldon Smith was coming out of Mizzou. If Floyd were 20 or 21 I could buy him needing to fill out... but that isnt the case. He's a developmental player that doesn't have any time to develop.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
It's really not. They'll protect him and answer some questions for a few weeks then for the most part it'll go away because the picture and text messages just aren't a big deal for Tunsil.

This isn't over. It's going to carry on for a while. This is the NFL not the other professional sports. It's 24/7/365 coverage, especially with scandals. He's now a poster child of what's wrong with the NFL drug policy on pot, he's the face of the soon-to-be Ole Miss/NCAA investigation, he's being sued by his step-dad and there's a possible criminal case for the hacking of his phone.

Oh, and he was either purposefully kept away from a mic at his introductory press conference because they're terrified of what he'll say next, or even worse, he was out too late partying last night and couldn't make it (no evidence of this, just my own speculation).

All told just too much baggage to deal with.

I know you think that the difference between a 24 year old and a 22 year old is equal to the difference between an 18 and a 16 year old but it really levels off around them. If it takes him 2 years go get good then you have 4 years of elite production. It's not a big deal.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
This isn't over. It's going to carry on for a while. This is the NFL not the other professional sports. It's 24/7/365 coverage, especially with scandals. He's now a poster child of what's wrong with the NFL drug policy on pot, he's the face of the soon-to-be Ole Miss/NCAA investigation, he's being sued by his step-dad and there's a possible criminal case for the hacking of his phone.

Oh, and he was either purposefully kept away from a mic at his introductory press conference because they're terrified of what he'll say next, or even worse, he was out too late partying last night and couldn't make it (no evidence of this, just my own speculation).

If he was bad enough to smoke WEED as a teenager and take MONEY as a college athlete he's likely to be COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTROOOOLLLLLLL

Every player in this draft has done both of these things. They just don't have asshole stepdads ruining their lives on it.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)

Isn't it way more likely that he was kept away from the mic at his introductory press conference because every question was going to be about his multiple hacked social media accounts? He wasn't going to get a single question about football.

He's an offensive lineman. They are not generally in the limelight. If Richie Incognito's stuff can go away, I see no reason that Tunsil's draft day drama is going to hound the Dolphins for the next four years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
If he was bad enough to smoke WEED as a teenager and take MONEY as a college athlete he's likely to be COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTROOOOLLLLLLL

Every player in this draft has done both of these things. They just don't have asshole stepdads ruining their lives on it.

The pot issue aside, he's a f***ing moron for admitting that he took money in college. The right or wrong of it is irrelevant. He threw his college coach and school under the bus. If he's capable of doing that, imagine what he'll do to the Dolphins. I think it's 100% legit to question that part of him and decide that skills aside, he's not worth it.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)
Isn't it way more likely that he was kept away from the mic at his introductory press conference because every question was going to be about his multiple hacked social media accounts? He wasn't going to get a single question about football.

Still a gigantic mess to clean up.

He's an offensive lineman. They are not generally in the limelight. If Richie Incognito's stuff can go away, I see no reason that Tunsil's draft day drama is going to hound the Dolphins for the next four years.

I'm not suggesting this is a 2 year old story. Some new scandal will come up. It will be forgotten. But it'll be a story this offseason, during training camp and maybe into the year if the NCAA does anything or if there's any news on his step dad.

And you never know what he'll do in the future. Again, look how he responded under pressure in an interview. Not good.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)

Incognito missed 24 games all because he, even being an offensive lineman, went into the spotlight after the initial headlines, and the media made a complete spectacle of him, dug as deep as possible into him, and got him blackballed from the league. Don't get me wrong, it was well deserved, but he is hardly the example you should bring up here. His case should be way more caution for the Dolphins than not.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Incognito missed 24 games all because he, even being an offensive lineman, went into the spotlight after the initial headlines, and the media made a complete spectacle of him, dug as deep as possible into him, and got him blackballed from the league. Don't get me wrong, it was well deserved, but he is hardly the example you should bring up here. His case should be way more caution for the Dolphins than not.

The point was that Incognito is back in the league and isn't a distraction. So surmise that Tunsil's draft date drama is going to be an issue that follows him is just not supported by the history of offensive linemen in the NFL.

I know you think that the difference between a 24 year old and a 22 year old is equal to the difference between an 18 and a 16 year old but it really levels off around them. If it takes him 2 years go get good then you have 4 years of elite production. It's not a big deal.

How many elite edge rushers are there over age 28? I mean a few but not many... it's a brutal game and the instant many of these guys lose a step it's basically the end.

Floyd should be at or right on the cusp of his absolute physical peak. If he is at or near that peak we should all be very worried about his lack of production at UGA (screw the coaches, great players make plays). If he isn't near that peak yet, I have to wonder what the hell he's been doing the last 2 years in the weight room and how much of his prime explosiveness and speed is going to be wasted getting him to fill out his frame.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
Still a gigantic mess to clean up.

I'm not suggesting this is a 2 year old story. Some new scandal will come up. It will be forgotten. But it'll be a story this offseason, during training camp and maybe into the year if the NCAA does anything or if there's any news on his step dad.

And you never know what he'll do in the future. Again, look how he responded under pressure in an interview. Not good.

Why is it a gigantic mess to clean up? What evidence is there to suggest that Tunsil is a loose cannon? On draft day, some a-hole hacked two of his social media accounts and the kid came off badly at an interview afterward. Putting myself in his shoes, I can't be too critical of a really bad interview performance.

Was Randy Moss a giant mess to clean up? Sapp? Marino? Dez Bryant (on the impermissible benefits stuff)? If Tunsil plays to his talent level, he's not a distraction going forward.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
The point was that Incognito is back in the league and isn't a distraction. So surmise that Tunsil's draft date drama is going to be an issue that follows him is just not supported by the history of offensive linemen in the NFL.

He was out of the league for 1.5 years. He was still a distraction during the the first part when he was merely suspended, thanks to the media not being able to stfu about him. He then literally had to leave the nfl for a full season to not be a distraction anymore. Not because he wasn't a capable player, but purely because he'd be a distraction. Correct, it's hard to be a distraction to a team when youre not actually on a team (JFF will try his best now though), but his case would a worse case scenario here.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
You may have missed the last 24 hour round the clock coverage of him. PR nightmare indeed.

Yup for one day. Like I said, I'm sure this will be a big story for a few weeks/months and then once the game starts it'll be fine, it's really not going to be as bad as you guys think. But whatever, I guess we'll see.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
Why is it a gigantic mess to clean up? What evidence is there to suggest that Tunsil is a loose cannon? On draft day, some a-hole hacked two of his social media accounts and the kid came off badly at an interview afterward. Putting myself in his shoes, I can't be too critical of a really bad interview performance.

Was Randy Moss a giant mess to clean up? Sapp? Marino? Dez Bryant (on the impermissible benefits stuff)? If Tunsil plays to his talent level, he's not a distraction going forward.

Around the league today teams are introducing their first picks and they are giving press conferences. One team is not because of a scandal. On day one they're already dealing with it. Whether or not it's his fault doesn't really matter. The scandal exists. I don't get why it's wrong that a team just wouldn't want to deal with it.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)
Around the league today teams are introducing their first picks and they are giving press conferences. One team is not because of a scandal. On day one they're already dealing with it. Whether or not it's his fault doesn't really matter. The scandal exists. I don't get why it's wrong that a team just wouldn't want to deal with it.

It's not wrong necessarily, I just think most of us believe it's absolutely worth the "risk." Just like every other player, if he's a bust then it hurts your organization but if he's as good as a lot of people think then you're getting one hell of a steal at 13(in the Dolphins case) or basically anywhere outside the top 5 this year.

Edited by Rowand44

PFF had Floyd with the 4th highest pass rush grade in the whole draft and ranked 2nd among edge rushers.

While his "paper stats" don't look good, he was still highly productive it would appear.

Another thing perhaps worth noting is when you like at Aldon Smith, a lot of his sacks were designed to where he went ungaurded. With a dominate front 3 and with Floyd's athleticism, I gaurentee you will see a ton of twists where he fakes outside then swings around and goes up the gut. With the slower OLBs the bears had last year Fangio couldn't really do that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)

Sad state of society today if that's true.