2016 Draft picks thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
A chance at that arm is well worth one and a quarter million dollars. Again, this could be the best pick of our entire draft.

I totally agree. This guy was the pre-season favorite to go 1.1. His arm is probably the best in the draft, if the Sox can get him right mechanically and develop some consistency, you are looking at a TOR guy. Well worth the lottery ticket.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)
If curbelo...(sorry, forgot how to spell but don't want to go back to other page to look) signs for only slightly over slot, what players do you think they may take a run at with savings?

For reference's sake, Zangari signed for $510,000 after being drafted in the 6th round #172 overall, with a slot value of like $285k. Curbelo was picked #176, so has a similar slot value. My guess is we are talking about a bonus being in the same neighborhood to get him here.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
I thought that Call would be under slot. How the hell are they signing Hickman and Curbelo?

I thought so too. Maybe the Sox anticipate only being able to sign one of Hickman/Curbelo? Hopefully the 200k+ the Sox have saved will be enough to sign both for above slot value. I think Curbelo will be a tough signing.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 07:39 PM)
I thought so too. Maybe the Sox anticipate only being able to sign one of Hickman/Curbelo? Hopefully the 200k+ the Sox have saved will be enough to sign both for above slot value. I think Curbelo will be a tough signing.

Curbelo is definitely signing. It's already been indicated basically. They would not have taken him in the top 10 rounds if he wasn't signing.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 08:39 PM)

They've both declared themselves members of the org.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 07:48 PM)
Curbelo is definitely signing. It's already been indicated basically. They would not have taken him in the top 10 rounds if he wasn't signing.

That's good news. Hickman is supposedly close to signing so maybe the Sox get both Curbelo and Hickman.

Where was Hickman ranked as a prospect? Surprised if he got more than $200k to $250k, which would only be a $100k to $150k charge against our cap. Also, can't we go over our pool amount by like 5% and not lose any picks? That should be worth $470k or so. Throw in the savings we've accumulated already and I don't see what the problem is. Might even be able to sign one of those late high school picks.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Hickman says he has signed - told me directly. No bonus info yet though.

By my count, as of now, 20 picks have signed, including 7 of top 11 (10 rounds). They are currently, differentially, $253,200 BELOW slot (so that is savings), with picks 1, 1-S, 6 and 10 left unsigned (and 2 of those are still playing, with a third saying he's signing today).

FS Draft Tracker updated to reflect all of that.

So who are going to be our "tough" signs that will take that overslot? I know there are a few guys who said no already, but where are the Matthew Grimes of the draftees that are going to be on the fence? (No idea how I still know the name Matthew Grimes, but I remember he spurred us for college and I think it ended up hurting him)

EDIT: Yep. We drafted him in the 4th RD in 2010, he declined, went to GT, got drafted in the 31st RD by the Phillies, declined again, and then got drafted in the 18th RD by the Orioles. He's actually having a solid season in A+ ball, but will also be 25 in a couple of months. Montes De Oca was another recent one I remember. We took him in the 14th RD out of HS in 2014, he declined, went to Missouri, pitched 8 IP in 2015, and only 1/3 of an inning in 2016 after having surgery to fix a nerve issue in his arm.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
At this point I'm assuming the only possible tough signs are the 20-40 round high schoolers, all of which seem to say they aren't signing.

Seems like a remarkably straight forward class.

Yep. Hickman and Ian Anderson are the only past 10 round bonus pool guys and Curbelo will be over-slot in round 6.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
A prominent member of the Sox draft process has said that Curbelo will be signed. I think it's a logistical matter of it not being official at this point.

It was nice that Hansen was underslot. The risk diversification of the top three picks was incredible. As someone from a business background, I loved the certainty of Collins/Burdi following with an underslot potential high reward player in Hansen.

Absolutely. The only teams that can really go nuts with under slot guys are the teams at the top with exorbitant bonus pool numbers.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 09:09 PM)
Is it normal to use most of picks 30-40 for they know that they won't sign?

I'm sure Hahn will rush Burdi up if it's possible.

It's normal to take a few guys like that but they took a lot this year.