2016 Draft picks thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drafting insiders in the 30s (as well as other prospects they know they have zero chance of signing) probably won't hurt much, but it's indicative of the culture of this org. Keeping the family happy remains way too high a priority. And they just aren't all-in in building the org.

As for KW Jr., who the Sox drafted twice (a courtesy pick in the mid 30s out of high school) , that trickles down. Ozzie went on one of his public rants when his son (not sure which -Ozney or Olney) was drafted later than he would have liked and didn't receive the sweetheart bonus that Jr did.

Even with that, I don't think anything tops Ron Scheuler drafting his daughter.

Edited by GreenSox

so with Anderson now in the bigs, and fulmers struggles this year, is Collins our number 1 prospect right now?

Also I know it's only 10 games but Call and Fisher both have obps around .490. i think they are both top 10 guys in our (depleted and bad) system. I'd like to certainly see fisher (who was a college senior) at least at low A before too long

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
Sox 10th round pick Zach Remillard and 27th round pick Mike Morrison are playing right now for Coastal Carolina in the CWS on ESPN. Game 1 if anyone is interested. Just caught one of Remillard's at bats.

Zach seems like a really well rounded player, unless the defensive highlights I've seen/heard about are misleading. 19 HR on the year and 8 singles in 8 bunt attempts.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 07:13 PM)
so with Anderson now in the bigs, and fulmers struggles this year, is Collins our number 1 prospect right now?

Also I know it's only 10 games but Call and Fisher both have obps around .490. i think they are both top 10 guys in our (depleted and bad) system. I'd like to certainly see fisher (who was a college senior) at least at low A before too long

I think Collins will be the clear #1 if Anderson is no longer eligible, and I think Burdi makes the top 5 too. Overall I suspect at least 5 draft picks will crack the next Top 30 we do, maybe even 6 or 7.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 09:19 PM)
Sox 10th round pick Zach Remillard and 27th round pick Mike Morrison are playing right now for Coastal Carolina in the CWS on ESPN. Game 1 if anyone is interested. Just caught one of Remillard's at bats.

I think the Sox may have steals in both these kids, I'm also fond of Marks on Coastal, reminds me of an even scrappier Adam Eaton, he's an undrafted senior so hopefully someone signs him

Zach Remillard is one of only ten players drafted in the first ten rounds who hasn't signed according to SB Nation. I understand he was playing in the CWS and may need a break, but I really hope they sign him. He seems like a very well rounded player.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
Zach Remillard is one of only ten players drafted in the first ten rounds who hasn't signed according to SB Nation. I understand he was playing in the CWS and may need a break, but I really hope they sign him. He seems like a very well rounded player.

Isn't he a senior? I can't see him not signing.

I heard a radio interview he did, he said he and Morrison were both going to sign but the Sox told them to take some time off to decompress and re-charge after their run to the national championship.

He's a senior and will sign, likely for well under slot. I've reached out to him to get a report on when, we'll see if he responds.

Morrison already signed and is with Kannapolis starting today. Remillard, not sure yet.

Zach Remillard signed for $10,000, under-slot senior sign, and will be assigned to Great Falls. That should likely close the book on the bonus pool, and possibly the full draft, for the Sox.

They spent basically their entire pool, but did NOT go over, in the end. The Draft Tracker has a final update now, including all assignments, all reported bonuses, and a final pool math report.

Looking back at some of the stats a few signees compiled in college, I'm really surprised that they lasted so long. First example is Call. Drafted #86 overall. With his performance in college, I can't believe there were 85 better prospects. Same with Booker, Round 22, overall # in the 650's. Fisher, 4th Round, same thing.

Anyway, I'm glad Sox got them and look forward to seeing them progress.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 11, 2016 -> 11:01 PM)
Very nice Matt. I'm assuming Cooley isn't signing?

I talked with Justin a few weeks ago, and he said he and his family were considering their options. I checked in again a couple days ago, but this time I haven't heard back. I kinda doubt he's signing.

It is worth noting that if the Sox and a prospect were interested, the Sox can exceed their bonus pool by up to 5% by paying a 75% tax on that money. They actually did that with Rodon a couple of years back. For the White Sox who have a bonus pool of 9,416,600, that means they can spend up to $9,887,430 before going over the 5% threshold which would cost them a draft pick. Also the only portion of a bonus that counts against the pool after round 10 is anything over 100k.

So for the White Sox they could give any one unsigned player up to $572,930 without losing a draft pick.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 07:11 AM)
Looking back at some of the stats a few signees compiled in college, I'm really surprised that they lasted so long. First example is Call. Drafted #86 overall. With his performance in college, I can't believe there were 85 better prospects. Same with Booker, Round 22, overall # in the 650's. Fisher, 4th Round, same thing.

Anyway, I'm glad Sox got them and look forward to seeing them progress.

Nick Hostetler said in his interview with FutureSox that he got texts from five different organizations that were ready to draft Call after the Sox grabbed in the 3rd. Funny how on draft day he seemed like a reach but in reality he might of actually been a steal.