Brexit

bmags

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 07:21 AM)
Our system prevents any one person from destroying us. Checks and balances and all. As long as "his party" stands up to his crazier ideas we'll be fine. This is one reason I like having Congress controlled by a different party than the White House. Something we always seem to do during mid term elections. We benefit when we employ the best of both party platforms.

Or the electoral college, for example?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
I was actually expecting a bigger knee jerk market reaction than what we got...this didn't even create a buying opportunity.

I think this is typically being over hyped and overblown by the media, and despite US markets being down, they've gone up more than that in the past week, so it's like the needle barely moved. Dow is currently at 17,600 -- keep in mind that less than 6 months ago it was just over 15,000.

In other words...meh.

The markets moderated a lot since last night. At one point the Dow was down 700, now only about 400.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
Or the electoral college, for example?

The electoral college was created -- to put it bluntly -- to protect the people from themselves. ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
The markets moderated a lot since last night. At one point the Dow was down 700, now only about 400.

I think a lot of people are coming to the realization that the Brexit means less to us than it does to them...it's also not instant like a lot of people seem to think. It's going to take them over 2 years to exit the EU. And if anything, the UK was like a EU-lite member anyway...they didn't even use the Euro and were exempt from a ton of EU mandates as it was.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
The electoral college was created -- to put it bluntly -- to protect the people from themselves. ;)

A bigger reason was to retain some power for the smaller states. Backed then states actually mattered. If we eliminate it then politicians could just concentrate on New York, California, Texas, and a few flyover states.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
I was actually expecting a bigger knee jerk market reaction than what we got...this didn't even create a buying opportunity.

I think this is typically being over hyped and overblown by the media, and despite US markets being down, they've gone up more than that in the past week, so it's like the needle barely moved. Dow is currently at 17,600 -- keep in mind that less than 6 months ago it was just over 15,000.

In other words...meh.

yes maybe overhyped from a US market perspective, but this has huge foreign policy and economic implications for Europe, which are important things.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
A bigger reason was to retain some power for the smaller states. Backed then states actually mattered. If we eliminate it then politicians could just concentrate on New York, California, Texas, and a few flyover states.

If it was to protect smaller states they wouldn't have been awarded proportionally.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
So this is probably an oversimplification of it all, but if a "half-member" of the EU that is exempt from a lot of EU mandates and policy is going to bring the whole system down, maybe that system sucked to begin with?

There are more ways to reform things that suck then to blow it all up. Britain will undoubtedly be poorer for the future. Their "half-status" actually came with quite a bit more perks than other states in that system.

There are a lot of faults with the EU. There was also a lot of benefit. England had a lot of firms locate there for access to an integrated euro market while paying lower English taxes. That gets split.

Their military power is not nearly big enough to matter as much foreign policy wise. THey just ensured they have less influence.

Destroying things that aren't always optimal but are stable and serve millions is actually fairly remarkable in global historical politics. But old people are scared of Polish people. So we all should be punished.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)

Alot of the things that were developed hundreds of years ago are probably not needed today. We had representatives of our communities and states because it simply wasnt possible for everyone to be in one place voting on issues. Today were could (in theory) put everything online and have the country vote.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)
Alot of the things that were developed hundreds of years ago are probably not needed today. We had representatives of our communities and states because it simply wasnt possible for everyone to be in one place voting on issues. Today were could (in theory) put everything online and have the country vote.

I'm pro electoral college myself...I don't want a few states controlling the will of the entire nation (which they already almost do). Also, as our nation moves closer to the idiocracy it's becoming (people usually know very little about what they're voting for or why), I prefer having such a safeguard. ;)

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
There are more ways to reform things that suck then to blow it all up. Britain will undoubtedly be poorer for the future. Their "half-status" actually came with quite a bit more perks than other states in that system.

There are a lot of faults with the EU. There was also a lot of benefit. England had a lot of firms locate there for access to an integrated euro market while paying lower English taxes. That gets split.

Their military power is not nearly big enough to matter as much foreign policy wise. THey just ensured they have less influence.

Destroying things that aren't always optimal but are stable and serve millions is actually fairly remarkable in global historical politics. But old people are scared of Polish people. So we all should be punished.

But does this prevent them from creating something better? Status quo isn't always the best option just because it's stable.

Yeah, and again, if this is such a destabilizing move, why couldn't we assume that the UK will remain the financial sector and european trade powerhouse via a new system? Why is it a forgone conclusion that new trade agreements and foreign worker/visitor agreements will be significantly altered? If it's going to severely hurt the UK, the UK isn't going to do it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
I'm pro electoral college myself...I don't want a few states controlling the will of the entire nation (which they already almost do). Also, as our nation moves closer to the idiocracy it's becoming (people usually know very little about what they're voting for or why), I prefer having such a safeguard. ;)

We are in IL, not much matters because its almost always the same color.

Agreed. Growing up in a small town, no voice would ever be heard with the overwhelming populations of the large cities/states. Many different issues that would never be heard or considered in the larger populated areas.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
Yeah, and again, if this is such a destabilizing move, why couldn't we assume that the UK will remain the financial sector and european trade powerhouse via a new system? Why is it a forgone conclusion that new trade agreements and foreign worker/visitor agreements will be significantly altered? If it's going to severely hurt the UK, the UK isn't going to do it.

Because that's the whole point of leaving the eu, and the eu isn't going to give Britain even more favorable terms than they already had.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
Because that's the whole point of leaving the eu, and the eu isn't going to give Britain even more favorable terms than they already had.

They will be interesting negotiations that's for sure.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)

But they just did

Yeah except that's almost exactly what the electoral college does. But instead of it being the states with the highest population, it's the swing states. Our recent elections are regularly decided by who wins Ohio, Florida, and Virginia.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)

They already had pretty favorable terms. They were basically given special treatment and they were gonna get even more special treatment had they decided to stay.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 07:32 AM)
Ukip already walking back their nhs funding pledge.

Morgan Stanley relocating a couple thousand employees out of London.

One thing I've learned in the past couple of days is how heavily the British economy is weighted towards the financial sector. Interesting to see what this does now that they've closed themselves off from the largest trade union in the world.

On the nhs pledge

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikesanz19/statu...263979941584896

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
We are in IL, not much matters because its almost always the same color.

This goes to the point of the representation. It's not that IL votes that way it's the city of Chicago and the surrounding area. If you look at the state as a whole the larger geographic area doesn't vote that way.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 12:43 AM)
Ukip leader arguing that the eu is a failed experiment and that Europe needs to go back to independent sovereign nations... That usually doesn't end well...

Glad I've been brushing up on my German.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
This goes to the point of the representation. It's not that IL votes that way it's the city of Chicago and the surrounding area. If you look at the state as a whole the larger geographic area doesn't vote that way.

But then if you look at how many people vote that way in the state, more people vote democrat.