**7/9 Game Thread: White Sox vs The Not So Braves"

Brian

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
I can't imagine the Sox are in sell mode yet. Hanging on the edge.

No reason for the Sox to be in sell mode. If they win tomorrow that's 6 series wins in a row with Morneau on the horizon and I am sure Hahn will be knocking down doors to get a relief pitcher or 2 and possibly another bat. Wouldn't be surprised though if nothing happened right up until the deadline to see how Morneau does while Hahn tries to nickel and dime other GM's.

QUOTE (Insp @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 09:07 PM)
We somehow overcame Ventura's stupidity to win.

Except for Albers (and that's Hahn's fault for having him on the roster) what were you mad at Robin about? Walklng the bases loaded may have been dumb but it worked. Duke and Nate were OK.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Except for Albers (and that's Hahn's fault for having him on the roster) what were you mad at Robin about? Walklng the bases loaded may have been dumb but it worked. Duke and Nate were OK.

For continuously putting Albers in high leverage situations.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
we got guys unavailable the series before the break? Nah, it has to be that RV just is a f***ing moron. It's the simplest explanation. Why the f*** would Robertson or Jones not be available today?

Jumping to conclusions makes you look foolish. It was rTher obvious something was going on when Albers came ion in the 8th.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 05:17 PM)
No reason for the Sox to be in sell mode. If they win tomorrow that's 6 series wins in a row with Morneau on the horizon and I am sure Hahn will be knocking down doors to get a relief pitcher or 2 and possibly another bat. Wouldn't be surprised though if nothing happened right up until the deadline to see how Morneau does while Hahn tries to nickel and dime other GM's.

Rather than buy or sell mode, I hope Hahn is improve the roster mode. Rather than go for the 30 yr old established veteran bat, I would rather go for the 22-24 yr old semi established bat. Even if it diminishes the chances this year but improves the age and strength of the roster for next year. Trade for an Anderson type rather than a Frazier. If we have to trade a Fulmer, get a young bat in exchange.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
Rather than buy or sell mode, I hope Hahn is improve the roster mode. Rather than go for the 30 yr old established veteran bat, I would rather go for the 22-24 yr old semi established bat. Even if it diminishes the chances this year but improves the age and strength of the roster for next year. Trade for an Anderson type rather than a Frazier. If we have to trade a Fulmer, get a young bat in exchange.

No team that's out of the race is going to give up a cheap young bat with upside. That's what these rebuilding teams are currently stockpiling.

Didn't we give up one of those a few years ago in Semien?

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 07:53 PM)
No team that's out of the race is going to give up a cheap young bat with upside. That's what these rebuilding teams are currently stockpiling.

You missed my point. For example, Boston desperately needs starting pitching . Dombrowski is not known for patience. I would trade a Q, Rodon or Fulmer if it would return a Betts or even better a Bradley. It may have to be after the season. But the Sox have only a few trade chips. I would not use Fulmer now to get a 30 year old bat hoping to make the playoffs. Rather I would want to acquire a young bat from a team w hitters desperate for a pitcher. It may be now or after the season.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 10, 2016 -> 01:24 AM)
You missed my point. For example, Boston desperately needs starting pitching . Dombrowski is not known for patience. I would trade a Q, Rodon or Fulmer if it would return a Betts or even better a Bradley. It may have to be after the season. But the Sox have only a few trade chips. I would not use Fulmer now to get a 30 year old bat hoping to make the playoffs. Rather I would want to acquire a young bat from a team w hitters desperate for a pitcher. It may be now or after the season.

Not a good idea to weaken yourself at a position to fill some perceived need at another position

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)

I kind of liked the move. It put a force at every base and Inciarte is a fast runner. so not an easy out on a tough ground ball. And we got the righty righty matchup.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 10, 2016 -> 12:53 AM)

Looks like getting rid of Semien, as expected, was a horrible decision. Maybe a fireable offense. He should be on the all-star team and with those power numbers you are looking at one, productive player. We could have had Anderson at short and Semien at second for 15 years. Sad.

And don't be a Semien hater just cause u are jealous of the A's. He's productive doggone-it. Don't deny it.

http://www.athleticsnation.com/2016/6/28/1...chise-shortstop

Edited by greg775

Semien's 14th in OPS and 13th in WAR at SS right now.

Not a franchise cornerstone (those home run numbers mask some of his other deficiencies, like OBP and defense)...but a very very solid player. (As someone pointed out, at worst, the equivalent of Frazier at 3B this year).

Let's just call it (Marcus' level at present) the absolute upside of Saladino on the WAR side of things. Realistically, he's not a consistent 3.5-4.5 WAR player every year...but maybe I'm wrong. Even a 3 WAR at SS under cost control (or 2B, in this case) is a huge way to balance out those veteran contracts.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2016 -> 03:51 AM)
Semien's 14th in OPS and 13th in WAR at SS right now.

Not a franchise cornerstone (those home run numbers mask some of his other deficiencies, like OBP and defense)...but a very very solid player. (As someone pointed out, at worst, the equivalent of Frazier at 3B this year).

Let's just call it (Marcus' level at present) the absolute upside of Saladino on the WAR side of things. Realistically, he's not a consistent 3.5-4.5 WAR player every year...but maybe I'm wrong. Even a 3 WAR at SS under cost control (or 2B, in this case) is a huge way to balance out those veteran contracts.

The guy has 19 home runs! In the article I linked they LOVE his improved defense. The guy just might be our Lou Brock-Ernie Broglio trade before it's over. Semien has 19 home runs! They were calling for him to be an all star already in Oakland. And we discard him. AWFUL.

Meanwhile another stud, Saladino, sits day after day. Just make Saladino DH if we won't trade Laurie and give him second base or trade Frazier and give him third. Heck stick him in right field. He can hit.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2016 -> 01:56 AM)
The guy has 19 home runs! In the article I linked they LOVE his improved defense. The guy just might be our Lou Brock-Ernie Broglio trade before it's over. Semien has 19 home runs! They were calling for him to be an all star already in Oakland. And we discard him. AWFUL.

Meanwhile another stud, Saladino, sits day after day. Just make Saladino DH if we won't trade Laurie and give him second base or trade Frazier and give him third. Heck stick him in right field. He can hit.

Lou Brock is a HoFer.

Vogt made the All-Star team over him.

I'm not sure what you saw out of Saladino LAST YEAR to make you think he's a stud...he's a very good utility infielder, and marginal everyday player, in all likelihood.

Lawrie's very unlikely to be traded with 2017 doubling down on the "all in" concept.

Finally, if Burdi becomes Sox closer for six years (ala Jenks), nobody will be missing Semien TOO MUCH. But that's a HUGE if in terms of Burdi. Nothing is guaranteed in baseball, even if he throws 99-104.