White Sox and ticket sales, an inside look

southsider2k5

From what I can tell, the lowest home attendance we had last year was 10,625 in the second game of the year. Can we say that that is a decent approximation of the season ticket base in 2014? If so, what's a realistic expectation for this year?

At this point there isn't much else the Sox can do marketing wise to sell tickets. They have done so much. They have lowered so many prices. (Yet fans still b**** that it's too expensive) The team just needs to perform on the field and hopefully the fanbase shows up again.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
From what I can tell, the lowest home attendance we had last year was 10,625 in the second game of the year. Can we say that that is a decent approximation of the season ticket base in 2014? If so, what's a realistic expectation for this year?

12,500-13,000?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)

That is probably pretty accurate. It is hard to peg an exact number because all of the partials have to be divided up according to their share (IE half season plan would be .5 people per game, 20 games would be .25 people per game, etc) and they might not be all on the same days. For example, I am sure the 7 game plans are heavier on weekends than Tuesday's just intuitively.

"You bought your tickets and your tickets are digital," he said. "There are ways to know if you bought two hot dogs. If I know you're a season-ticket holder and every game you're coming in, sitting in your two seats and you're buying two hot dogs, how cool would it be if when we know you're in the ballpark, for one of our reps to come down and say, 'Jon, here's some free hot dogs on us.' "

How do they know that you are buying two hot dogs, unless you enter that information somewhere?

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 05:08 PM)
How do they know that you are buying two hot dogs, unless you enter that information somewhere?

Only way I can imagine is if you use the same credit card to buy the hot dogs as you did for the tickets.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
Only way I can imagine is if you use the same credit card to buy the hot dogs as you did for the tickets.

They've also been pushing the idea of people putting money on their tickets for food, and using the ticket like a credit card. That would provide tracking.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 08:54 AM)
They've also been pushing the idea of people putting money on their tickets for food, and using the ticket like a credit card. That would provide tracking.

Yes. It brings up the question, is it worth having the team track your every move for a couple of hot dogs? I vote no. I don't blame the White Sox or other teams for doing this, and if people have no problem being tracked, that is fine too. But to me, and I really have no set routine when I go to games, I would rather my habits and trends be with me, and not out for someone to study.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
Yes. It brings up the question, is it worth having the team track your every move for a couple of hot dogs? I vote no. I don't blame the White Sox or other teams for doing this, and if people have no problem being tracked, that is fine too. But to me, and I really have no set routine when I go to games, I would rather my habits and trends be with me, and not out for someone to study.

It wouldn't bother me too much. Not much different than when you browse an item on Amazon, and then the next website you visit has an ad for that item (though I understand how that also bothers people). If the Sox wanna mine some data and it gets me discounts on the stuff I buy anyway, personally I'm fine with it.

If they are really "all in" this season and want to draw some crowds, they can do a few things IMO.

It's time to have a concert going on outside the stadium before games, all games. Doesn't need to be a huge band, or any specific genre, just a band or DJ who can play good music and give fans something else to do before a game. The better the bands, the better the draw. There are plenty of musicians and local bands who would love to play outside a White Sox game on game night.

Then they can also go around handing out White Sox swag to fans in the tailgate lots. Send some White Sox alumni out there with the swag to give autographs and take pictures. Doesn't need to be Paul Konerko or Frank Thomas, I'd be plenty happy seeing Chris Widger or Hank Perry walking around talking with fans. Make it consistent so people go there expecting to run into White Sox alumni.

They can also have ticket reps walking the grounds with White Sox Swag to give away and an IPad to help take orders on special Tailgate only ticket specials. Example - A ticket rep may have a special tailgate lot ticket package for you and 7 friends to go to any weekday game (minus blackout dates), lower level, for $100 total. Crazy deals that have to be bought on spot at that time. Sell some urgency and the good feeling of White Sox baseball during tailgate.

Then they can team up with sponsors to make tickets worth something after a game. Get a % off good or services the next day after attending a White Sox game, depending on Runs scored. Example - If the White Sox score 5 runs, and win, that gives you 10% off at (Sponsor) on the date following the game with ticket stub shown. If they score 2% and lose,it's 2% off the following date. Something like that to give the ticket extra value.

Just a few of my thoughts. Go Sox.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
If they are really "all in" this season and want to draw some crowds, they can do a few things IMO.

It's time to have a concert going on outside the stadium before games, all games. Doesn't need to be a huge band, or any specific genre, just a band or DJ who can play good music and give fans something else to do before a game. The better the bands, the better the draw. There are plenty of musicians and local bands who would love to play outside a White Sox game on game night.

Then they can also go around handing out White Sox swag to fans in the tailgate lots. Send some White Sox alumni out there with the swag to give autographs and take pictures. Doesn't need to be Paul Konerko or Frank Thomas, I'd be plenty happy seeing Chris Widger or Hank Perry walking around talking with fans. Make it consistent so people go there expecting to run into White Sox alumni.

They can also have ticket reps walking the grounds with White Sox Swag to give away and an IPad to help take orders on special Tailgate only ticket specials. Example - A ticket rep may have a special tailgate lot ticket package for you and 7 friends to go to any weekday game (minus blackout dates), lower level, for $100 total. Crazy deals that have to be bought on spot at that time. Sell some urgency and the good feeling of White Sox baseball during tailgate.

Then they can team up with sponsors to make tickets worth something after a game. Get a % off good or services the next day after attending a White Sox game, depending on Runs scored. Example - If the White Sox score 5 runs, and win, that gives you 10% off at (Sponsor) on the date following the game with ticket stub shown. If they score 2% and lose,it's 2% off the following date. Something like that to give the ticket extra value.

They already do both of the bolded, have for some time.

Pretty sure they already have this. They show the band pretty frequently during games and in the pre game camera walk into the park. There is a little pop up band-shell near the outside concessions and t shirt vendors

Almost every professional sports teams does this in some capacity. Even colleges.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 04:57 PM)
That is probably pretty accurate. It is hard to peg an exact number because all of the partials have to be divided up according to their share (IE half season plan would be .5 people per game, 20 games would be .25 people per game, etc) and they might not be all on the same days. For example, I am sure the 7 game plans are heavier on weekends than Tuesday's just intuitively.
the STH number is derived from "full season equivalents" . 3 27 game plans equal one full season seat. but the sox only have two 27 game options, so your actual full season account numbers show up in the 3rd game of a weekday series. the weekends always look bigger because they sell more weekend plans than weekday plans.

they have several bands play before games.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 05:26 PM)
Customer service still needs work. If I have rain-out tickets I shouldn't have to pay $40 more the next day to watch the makeup game in my same seats in a 50% filled stadium.
that was impossible to do with the price system last year. especially the angels series.

The konerko jersey day as well as the 2005 reunions I think were scheduled specifically to give Rick a little extra money before the break. All four of those games should draw well( at least 30k), and the sox already have a boost from ticket sales which allowed them to sign cabrera.

The sox really seem to use the money in/money out formula, and having five games that will be sure to sell iut( if you add opening day) puts money in Rick and kennys hands. Especially if they are in a spot to compete.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 04:28 PM)
Couldn't find any info on your top three posts there. I'm not doubting what you say but if you're going to speak so matter of factly on information that isn't readily available to the public it'd be nice to know where it's coming from.
the 2014 prices are off the site. The exchange rate of the 6/30 game is based off the printed box office ticket. NO ticket jumps $40 from one game to the next. Especially a weekday series.

The sth tix do have a lower printed price, and you would need to pay the box office price, but not that big of a jump.

As for te other quoted posts, one is my pure speculation. If I were in the sox promotions department, I wouldn't have konerko day on a Saturday in May. I'd have it on a weekday, because they will get 50k white people no matter what for him.