Optimism for Everett?

kdhargo

Some form of optimism (and perhaps justification for his $4M salary) is forming for Carl Everett for the 2005 season.

Carl Everett getting ready for the 2005 season

Also, an interesting quote from Everett in regards to the '05 Sox team being 'less powerful' than previous years' homerun-emphasized teams.

"The singles and the doubles will outweigh those home runs,'' he said. "The emphasis of home runs, to me, is something that is stupid. If a guy can go up there and hit the ball wherever, he's better suited for an RBI than a power guy."

What do we do if Carl tears it up while Frank is gone? Do we trade him when Frank comes back, or does he become a $4 million bat off of the bench?

It should also be noted that Carl has a team option for $5.5 million next season. So we could pick it up and trade him after the 2005 season.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
What do we do if Carl tears it up while Frank is gone?  Do we trade him when Frank comes back, or does he become a $4 million bat off of the bench?

It should also be noted that Carl has a team option for $5.5 million next season.  So we could pick it up and trade him after the 2005 season.

That would be one of those "good problems" to have, however likely or unlikely it may be. Do not forget that Dye has the 'ability' to be a question mark. Will Dye end up spending some time on the DL this season or not? Will he put up .265/25/85 or better -- or worse?

Even when Frank comes back, its important to have a guy like Everett come off the bench and pinch hit during the late innings. Also it takes Frank a long time to get back in the swing of things. Remember 2002? Frank missed most of 2001 due to an injury and sucked ass in 2002. Well Frank missed half of 2004 and what makes us believe that he will come back strong in 2005 and not repeat 2002? Keeping Carl around is important, i expect a solid year out of Crazy 'Jurassic' Carl. Just having him in our lineup makes us that much better.

I don't think it would be a "surprise" if Carl proves a very good player next year. He had one off-year, that's it. Even in his off-year, he posted a .320 obp. When you look at their stats over the last few years, I'm at least as confident about Carl as I am about Dye (at the plate, anyway). Imo, this is $4 mil that's well worth it.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 23, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)
Both Everett and Dye concern me when it comes to injuries. I also hope Rowand can duplicate last season.

too many question concerning the team, but i am excited on the uncertainity of the team.