Cooper and/or Ozzie status could affect MB coming back next year

southsider2k5

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...rle-free-agency

Will Cooper's status affect Buehrle free agency?

September, 14, 2011

By Doug Padilla

CHICAGO – Mark Buehrle has thought about a few scenarios when it comes to his upcoming free agency, but apparently not all of them.

Asked if the status of pitching coach Don Cooper would affect his decision to return to the White Sox, Buehrle paused.

“Um, I never really thought about that,” Buehrle said.

By all accounts the White Sox are happy with Cooper’s work. But if manager Ozzie Guillen does not come back, a new manager might be comfortable with a different pitching coach. Even if a new coach is hired, it is believed that he would be urged to keep Cooper.

“I mean, if it came down to it and a deal got done before the coaching staff was in place and there was something that worked out for both sides then I don’t know if I would say, ‘Hey, wait, let me hold off to see who the manager is or who the pitching coach is,’” Buehrle said.

There is no doubt Buehrle enjoys working with Cooper, who has been the White Sox’s pitching coach since 2002. Buehrle has posted all but 20 of his 159 major-league victories under Cooper’s tutelage.

Ultimately, though, Buehrle realized that he better be OK with moving on without Cooper, especially if he winds up signing with another team.

“I mean obviously you don’t know what the future is for anybody really,” Buehrle said. “Any coaches, Ozzie, there is a lot of stuff up in the air.”

While Buehrle still hasn’t taken retirement off the table as an option moving forward, he does admit that he still enjoys the game.

“I still love to get out there and compete every five days,” he said. “I don’t know. It’s not like I’ve lost the drive to go out there and pitch and compete. I still love doing that.”

But Buehrle isn’t about to continue playing just fulfill his competitive urges.

“To be honest with you I just got off the phone with my wife a couple of minutes ago and just talked to her about stuff,” Buehrle said. “I said ‘Listen, if there isn’t the right deal out there then we'll go to the house and we’re done.’

“It’s not like I have to play for money or have to keep playing for my family. If it comes down to it and something works out here, or with the 29 other teams out there, if something fits for me and my family then we’ll go with it. If not, if there’s nothing there, if nobody is offering a good deal or it doesn’t work on both ends, then see you later. I’ll take it to the house.”

Buehrle might have said that all other teams are options, but the ones that don't look to be a legitimate playoff contender need not apply..

“Well yeah, I’d love to have the chance to win again,” he said. “I don’t want to sign with somebody that’s in a rebuilding process or don’t think they have a chance to win.”

Now if he can just get over that insecure feeling that nobody would want him. Buehrle thinks his struggles in his last two starts, when he gave up a combined 14 earned runs, might overshadow a stretch when he didn’t allow three earned runs or more in 18 consecutive starts.

“If nobody calls then you say, ‘Damn, maybe I’m not as good as you really think you are,’” Buehrle said.

Do you really think nobody will call?

“I have no idea,” Buehrle said. “The last couple of outings might scare some people away.”

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
If no Ozzie means no Buehrle, see ya, Mark!

This is the one thing that might make me pause on firing Ozzie.

But Cora, Cox, and Walker all would need to go, with Kenny picking the replacements.

But god, just keep Cooper and we avoid the problem!

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
This is the one thing that might make me pause on firing Ozzie.

But Cora, Cox, and Walker all would need to go, with Kenny picking the replacements.

But god, just keep Cooper and we avoid the problem!

The only "pause" on firing Ozzie is if PK, Sale, Viciedo, Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, and Santos all say they will retire from the game forever if Ozzie goes.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
I'm sure there are people on this site who do. Hell, imagine if he were about to sign elsewhere. Greg would call him the equivalent of Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, or Roy Halladay.

Well there's people on this site who overrate and underrate pretty much every player, that's how it works on message boards as you well know. That said, the consensus on this site knows exactly what Mark is. He's extremely beloved and for good reason but people know that he's not an ace.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
If no Ozzie means no Buehrle, see ya, Mark!

QUOTE (bozzie @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
Mark Buerhle - MLB's only 12-game winning #1 pitcher.

Nice guy, good teammate, and a good pitcher. But overrated.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 08:49 PM)
Well there's people on this site who overrate and underrate pretty much every player, that's how it works on message boards as you well know. That said, the consensus on this site knows exactly what Mark is. He's extremely beloved and for good reason but people know that he's not an ace.

1.) Jeezus Louisas.

Are u kidding? See ya Mark? He is a legend.

2.) Overrated? Great stuff here. Way to treat a Sox legend, Mark Buehrle, perhaps the best pitcher in Sox history, at least modern history. ... 12 wins? Hell I thought wins mean nothing to sabes people anyway.

3.) Excellent post!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
1.) Jeezus Louisas.

2.) Overrated? Great stuff here. Way to treat a Sox legend, Mark Buehrle, perhaps the best pitcher in Sox history, at least modern history. ... 12 wins? Hell I thought wins mean nothing to sabes people anyway.

3.) Excellent post!

Did he just prove my point while thinking he was disproving it?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)

Shut up. ;)

I'll answer gregs post for some reason. Buehrle is perhaps my favorite athlete of all time, I absolutely love the guy. That being said, this is baseball and not one player is bigger than the franchise. Right now, Ozzie is such a detriment to this organization that if getting rid of him means the end of Mark Buehrle in a Sox uniform, then it's a no brainer...cya Mark.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)

Haha indeed he did.

I vote Greg and Marty for 2012 GM/Manager combo. They'd cut Dunn, Rios, Peavy and eat the 80 million owed. Resign MB for 4 years 90 million, Juan for 2 years 20 million, and give Ozzie an open ended 10 mil a year deal. Then trade everyone else on the team for pitching prospects.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
1.) Jeezus Louisas.

3.) Excellent post!

Wow excuse me black jack, Alex Fernandez, Floyd bannister, Joel horlen, Gary peters, Ed Walsh.....

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Haha indeed he did.

I vote Greg and Marty for 2012 GM/Manager combo. They'd cut Dunn, Rios, Peavy and eat the 80 million owed. Resign MB for 4 years 90 million, Juan for 2 years 20 million, and give Ozzie an open ended 10 mil a year deal. Then trade everyone else on the team for pitching prospects.

It would be a great benefit to you if you watched more baseball.