What is your top Buehrle contract

southsider2k5

I think a 3 year deal with a 4th year option, paying out around $13-$14M/year, will get it done for the Sox, maybe less money even. Might need to be a mutual option. Other teams may offer slightly more than that, such as a guaranteed 4th year or another $1M per year or something. But if the Sox offer what I stated here, I'd bet Mark stays, unless some team makes him an absurd offer (like 5 years, and/or more than $15M per).

3 -$36M

Make a donation to an animal charity in his wife's name.

Buy him a hunting lodge and a new pickup.

Write into his contract he can belly slide during rainouts again if he wants. (Buy insurance to cover that risk.)

Add a clause that specifically prohibits him from ever pitching for the Cubs.

And... offer a 4th year mutual option if necessary.

$7M in 2012

$14M in 2013

$14M in 2014

Club option for $12M in 2015 or $1M buyout. If that option is exercised, there is a club option for $11M in 2016 or $1M buyout.

[/quote I think he may be offered more from other teams but perhaps he will take less to stay and retire with the sox. He's a class act. We need his presence in the clubhouse. He is the face of the White Sox.

Edited by forrestg

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
I actually prefer Buehrle to stay more-so than Konerko when he was in his process, so it's hard to really gauge a value with my head instead of with my heart. If this somehow helps future stud Danks resigns... thanks for everything Mark.

You're still waiting for that to happen?

Without out knowing what the ramifications would be with other negotiations, I would say 3/$42 with a decent mutual option for the 4th year. I would also like some list of maybe 5-6 teams that he would accept a trade.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
0 yrs / $0

This is the perfect time for an amicable breakup. I'd rather the White Sox save their resources for younger talent moving forward.

Beat me to it. I also despise the idea of Kenny shipping off Thornton, Floyd, Danks, and Quentin in order to resign Buehrle. I'd hope he wouldn't want to return to such a mess anyhow.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
Beat me to it. I also despise the idea of Kenny shipping off Thornton, Floyd, Danks, and Quentin in order to re-sign Buehrle. I'd hope he wouldn't want to return to such a mess anyhow.

I hope that goes for all Sox fans.

What I don't understand is if Buehrle signs elsewhere, why they would want to trade those pitchers as well. They have an opportunity to compete and hopefully catch lightning in a bottle with the pitching staff they have now. If it doesn't happen, the Sox will have plenty of attractive pieces to sell off next July--Floyd, Danks, Crain, Thornton, maybe Peavy.

It just doesn't seem very Kenny-like to blow it all up now.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
3/$39 million with an option for a fourth year. A creative contract like Konerko's would be nice to save some money up front until a bad contract or two goes away.

That's pretty much what I had earlier, I agree.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
I hope that goes for all Sox fans.

What I don't understand is if Buehrle signs elsewhere, why they would want to trade those pitchers as well. They have an opportunity to compete and hopefully catch lightning in a bottle with the pitching staff they have now. If it doesn't happen, the Sox will have plenty of attractive pieces to sell off next July--Floyd, Danks, Crain, Thornton, maybe Peavy.

It just doesn't seem very Kenny-like to blow it all up now.

Trading Danks and/or Quentin isn't about re-signing MB, although that could be a nice secondary effect. Danks and TCQ are free agents after 2012, and if we aren't going to extend them, it would be a good time to get something in return. And if you do that, and clear salary space, then it would be great to have Mark back at the right price. You can't look at signing MB by itself, it is part of the puzzle.

And at the deadline, I think those players will get less return than they do right now.

I'll admit though, I am also biased in that I think Mark at his money/years is a better investment than Danks at the money/years he would receive in an extension.