Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Could Sox trade AJ?
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 12:15 PM) Like who? Name a team. I think we have gone over the list before, and there are few, if any teams that could use him. The Angels had utter garbage at catcher and could use him. I know Angel fans hate him but he'd be an upgrade. But that doesn't mean there wouldn't be other options that are better.
-
Greg Walker next hitting coach in ATL
He works his ass off. I just think his time had ended here. I am amazed at how so many people think he's awful and to blame whenever a player stinks. I got news for you, Rios sucks cause he sucks. Dunn sucked cause he sucks too. I am happy with a change though cause I do think the Sox needed to give the players a new voice to hear and hopefully the coaching changes will wake some guys up and help some guys out.
-
2011 Cubs Thread
QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 10:23 AM) to me it does not pass the smell test Why Hoyer would leave to become theo's lackey says a-lot about him to me....why would the Padres let him leave is a bigger question. So Epstein benefits from 1 year worth of Agon? I don't buy this tampering argument.
-
2011 Cubs Thread
No way Hoyer or Byrnes are going to go become Asst. GM's with the Cubs. I supposed if Epstein is going to be president it could work, but that is a lot of money that will be spent on front office people (possibly smart money though cause good baseball people in your front office are worth there weight in gold).
-
Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 12:07 PM) Yes. Just pointing out how truly insane of an overpay that was. I'd also say that Kolb doesn't look all that great either. I really was stunned. I thought Palmer would end up going for like a 3rd or 4th rounder.
-
Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread
Either I really dont' understand Palmer's hype or NFL players are a lot smarter than me. Seems like a lot of NFL players think Palmer is an elite QB. Maybe Cinncy just made him look terrible. He's clearly a major upgrade over what they had, but he also hasn't played (supposedly he's in great shape though) and needs to learn the offense. The price though was insane.
-
Technology catch-all thread
You might have sold me on getting an iphone 4s from Sprint. I'm due for an upgrade shortly and the mrs. just ordered hers.
-
Ozzie Fires Back
I've bashed Ozzie a lot and I think its time to go, but I don't think there was anything wrong with what he said in that piece.
-
Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread
I wonder why the Bears are getting into London so late. Bucs arrived today.
-
Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 10:39 AM) Yesterday showed that as long as Cutler gets time the WR's are fine. Completely disagree with this.
-
Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 16, 2011 -> 08:35 PM) I'm so glad the 49ers ended the f***ery that is the hype around the Lions. They can't run the ball, their offensive line is not good, and when they aren't throwing lob passes to Calvin Johnson when a team foolishly has him single-covered, they aren't a very good team. Their front four on defense is good, sure, but they still can't stop the run and Ndamakong Suh is incredibly overrated. I look forward to playing them at Soldier Field later this year. Hopefully the Bears can build on this game (especially the oline) and take it to London next week and give it to the Bucs. Let me say what I've been telling a lot of people. Matthew Stafford, while strong armed, is not that good (yet). Could he be, absoltuely, but he's still very inexperienced and isn't exactly dynomite. Calvin Johnson is and there defense is solid.
-
Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread
QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 16, 2011 -> 06:33 PM) I don't understand how the offensive line was SO bad last week and looks pretty good tonight against what everyone considers a very tough defensive line. A lot has to do with Omilaye being out. A lot has to do with the fact that there was less crowd noise (home game, duh) and as a result far less false starts. Plus, the Bears really mixed up the play-calling. It was very similar to what they did in week 1 against Atlanta. Martz just gets so stubborn when he thinks he can just continuosly run 7 step drop after 7 step drop. They also had Spaeth back and I really like him. He's a great blocker.
-
Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread
I honestly dont' know if there is a QB in the league that could have done what Cutler did last night. I really don't. He played incredible and it didn't even matter. I think he had maybe 2 opportunities to plan his feet all night. It really pisses me off that the Bears have wasted 3 years of Jay in his prime. They haven't given him weapons or an opportunity and its really sad.
-
Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread
By the way...Cutler, touche. You played amazing last night. I think you only threw like 3 actual incomplete passes. There were about 7 drops, including Hester dropping what should have been a freaking incredible touchdown pass.
-
Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 09:04 PM) This is sarcastic, right? I just want to be sure. How can anyone say that Lovie isn't an above average coach? He's done an above average job with the Bears. Is he a special coach, no, is he a good coach, absolutely. It isn't his fault he's been hampered with garbage on offense.
-
Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread
QUOTE (bulokis @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 08:54 PM) Season over! Angelo will not be fired, hence he will be given a contract extension. It sucks rooting for the Bears. Angelo has to be fired for his failures on the line and with wide-outs.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:56 AM) You remember how much of the season we spent complaining about the seeming complete lack of professionalism coming from the front office? The lack of respect for the people watching the games, paying their bills, etc.? I thought we'd gotten rid of most of that when we got rid of Ozzie...but this move reeks of the same ethos. I feel like this is a giant middle finger at me. How? Ventura will be nothing but a professional.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:12 PM) Amazing column by Cowley. Wow. Cooper was THAT MUCH of a snake? Wait til the players read this. Horrible joke of a franchise. I just knew KW was sucking up and this proves it. And Cooper? The people who have said what a rotten personality he has? This just makes sense he'd look out for No. 1. I LOVE Ozzie's text to Coop. It's Ozzie's way of letting him know bout Judas. If this is true, Cowley deserves a sports Pulitzer for the scoop. And to think I today was thinking Coop deserved the job over Ventura. Coop sounds like he may ruin the clubhouse next year when this story is made public to the players. Nobody likes a backstabber. Nobody! Why don't you ask the Sox pitchers what they think of Coop? Oh wait, they freaking love him.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:12 PM) Amazing column by Cowley. Wow. Cooper was THAT MUCH of a snake? Wait til the players read this. Horrible joke of a franchise. I just knew KW was sucking up and this proves it. And Cooper? The people who have said what a rotten personality he has? This just makes sense he'd look out for No. 1. I LOVE Ozzie's text to Coop. It's Ozzie's way of letting him know bout Judas. If this is true, Cowley deserves a sports Pulitzer for the scoop. And to think I today was thinking Coop deserved the job over Ventura. Coop sounds like he may ruin the clubhouse next year when this story is made public to the players. Nobody likes a backstabber. Nobody! Dude. That is it. You are freaking nuts. Cowley is a complete an utter asshole. The players know it, the fans know, it, everyone knows it. Ozzie was the asshole. I don't know how you can't see that.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 03:47 PM) Honestly, what good would that even do you as a manager? I would think that experience would help you become a better base coach, but other than that, what? Those are just bang-bang decision-making skills you have to hone. Exactly. I think being a bench coach is where the true experience is gained. But even than, is 1 or 2 or even 3 years really that much of an edge over someone who had 16 years in an MLB clubhouse, albeit, limited to being a player?
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 03:35 PM) When asked if he's talked to Frank Thomas, he said ,"No." Then says he's trusting the people around him to put the best possible pieces together. I don't like that. The mgr should have some say in his decisions and hires. From the sounds of some quotes I thought Robin had pretty much picked his bench coach out.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 03:32 PM) Agreed. That is a given. It was kind of like what the Sox initially did with Ozzie when they kept Nossek on board to provide him with support and even talked about trying to get an ex manager on board. Robin has a lot of friends so I'm very curious who this bench coach they've targeted is and whether that team will give the Sox permission.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 03:24 PM) Milkman, Honestly I dont know. I dont keep a running tally of who did what in their previous coaching careers. Dave Martinez, Sandy Alomar and Robin Ventura, never managed a MLB team. If you want to say that being a bench coach, 3b coach, whatever is equivalent experience to managing, that is your call. All I know is that (imo) Ventura is going to be a revelation compared to Ozzie. And win lose or draw, its going to be the players, not the manager who ultimately decide the success of a team. This is not the NBA/NFL where a Head Coach can significantly change the dynamic of a team. They can significicantly change the dynamic of the lockeroom though and Ozzie did that in a very negative way the past couple years, imo.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 03:14 PM) You said he was a player-manager. Either way, that was 35 years ago. Come up with a relatively recent example of a manager who hadn't coached or managed at some level before becoming the manager of a major league team. I would argue that 1 to 2 years of being a 1st base coach or 3rd base coach isn't exactly a ton of experience. So I'd say Ozzie had his early successes despite limited coaching, Girardi the same.
-
Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 02:54 PM) I find it interesting that so many people are quick to point out that there's really not that much to managing a Major League Baseball game. I find it interesting how trivial so many think it to be, yet the manager is in charge of over 100 million dollars of contracts. I find it interesting how many people think having a manager is extremely unimportant, and that anyone could do the job. I find all of that very interesting. In this post, feel free to substitute the word "interesting" with the word "stupid". I think you need someone that can manage the personality of those ego's and help players when they are up/down and essentially be there to help support his guys through the grind. I think that is more difficult than people think. Just look at all of the stuff coming out of Boston regarding there clubhouse and I'm pretty convinced the Sox players were pretty frustrated with Ozzie and have been for a couple years (can't blame them either, there manager was a pompous jackass).