Everything posted by SoxAce
-
Barry Bonds
QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 28, 2009 -> 11:16 PM) No you will not convince me that cheating is OK. No, it is not as bad as manslaughter, you brought up speeding and stealing office supplies, and if that is OK, then steroids is fine also. I elaborated and showed how we've always ha d a sliding scale. Go ahead and cheat and have someone read it to you. Bonds and the other players hid their usage and denied to this day. Why? When someone cheats you out of something that is rightfully yours, perhaps a promotion, money, whatever, I hope you have the same feeling and congratulate the person who cheated you. I'm not going to cheat my way to a victory, but if you can live with that, so be it. Millions of people cheering for you, thinking you played by the rules, but really, you just f***ed over the honest guy. That makes you a dishonest person. I guess that is how you were raised. Shoot a five, write down a four. Cork a bat. Slip an ace off the bottom of the deck. Then you are the man! Try and convince yourself you are a better golfer, baseball player, or poker player than the guy who played by the rules. Once you start lying, it is probably easy enough to convince yourself you are really better than the poor sucker who plays it honest. But when you change the rules, you change the sport. If Bonds really thought it was OK he'd be arguing just like you. But in this debate, I'll take honesty over deceit. If you believe that is holier than thou, so be it. But there are a lot more honest people in this world that cheaters. I hope one day you won't have to cheat to win. My guess is you never tried. In the end, you are a cheater. Fortunately society doesn't honor that very much. Not too many parades and respect for cheaters. I gotta ask you Tex cause this has been a debate you've had over the years on this board and I just read it, and never get into it cause it's not my business. Have you ever cheated, just alittle, in anything in your life? I was under the impression that everyone does something to give them an edge to get by whether it's copying something in school, spitball/tar in a sport, eating junk food in a diet, giving themselves a higher score in a family board game etc... This is more or less an off topic question, especially considering unless the persons name is Jesus Christ, I've personally never come across (or read) a person who has never cheated once in their lives at something even a professional athlete who gets ridiculed because he's a millionaire. I don't care if the MLB wipes out Bonds year 2000 numbers till the last game he played (I think 2007 or 2008) before he left. The man is still a hall of famer. You can't say that about guys like Sosa, McGwire, Palmiero, etc.. etc.. This man is one of the best players to ever put on a uniform. I personally hope the MLB does something to that extent to show the older players especially, and the fans that PEDs are not the answer. Even if they do that, Bonds still has a first place ballot waiting in Cooperstown. The same can be also said about Pete Rose. The man is a sure fire hall of famer, never did PEDs, his numbers are all legit. But he cheated the game by gambling when he was a manager, not a player. But it is still against the rules. People would still vote him in, and rightfully so. Hell we got hall of famers in Cooperstown RIGHT NOW, who cheated one way or another in this game and got away with it. The sayings go "If you don't get caught, it's not cheating" or "If your not cheating, your not trying" can apply. God knows how many baseballs Wilhelm, Spawn, Perry, etc.. were doctored up when they played. Hell even you hear a hall of famer(s) like Schmidt and even "pine tar" Brett say that if they had PEDs when they played that they probably would have done it to gain an edge and increase production is fairly telling in my eyes. Hell Canseco already said that there's one active hall of famer who did PEDs that is already in Cooperstown, and we may never know who that is.
-
Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 28, 2009 -> 10:25 PM) "Konroyd says Toews and Kane deals are going to be 10 year deals!" Umm, yes please? Not gonna be excited at all till it's official. Hell I believe the deals were "suppose" to be official this week or last week, but of course we have not cleared salary.
-
Official Boxing Thread
Might be the first fight I will probably pay for (first one I will see in PPV in almost 10 years) if this happens.
-
Hall of Fame Ballot is out
QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 09:35 PM) When you're asked directly if you used and you refuse to give an answer you're not going to get a lot of sympathy. Also doesn't help when Canseco (who has been right on the money with his accusations and was a long time teammate) your own brother, Sosa (who not only was part of the chase and already got caught, but used to work out together in the offseason) and ex fiance/wife claim you were on steroids as well. And didn't he already get busted for an amphetamine but it wasn't "illegal" yet?
-
Hall of Fame Ballot is out
QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 05:40 PM) Please don't just vote for Alomar, Baines, Ventura and Raines because of their past unis. Roberto Alomar is a near lock IMO regardless if people did vote for him cuz he rocked a sox uni.
-
Alphabetical Conversation Thread
Part of me actually wants to feel that way however.
-
Alphabetical Conversation Thread
Nice dinner for me... too bad I wasn't 100% to really enjoy it or get "stuffed."
-
Comments Thread - 50 Fav Rock Acts
QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 05:01 PM) Now I really regret forgetting about Pearl Jam (and god dammit the Beastie Boys should be a band. ) I guess hopefully if Knight makes a "fav rap acts list" thread we can wait that out then. As long as the RHCP make the top 10 in this list, all is forgiven in the world. Looks like they just squeaked by. 7/24 on people's list.. not bad at all though they should have been higher. (I'm blaming you Soxy. )
-
Barry Bonds
QUOTE (Special K @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 10:49 PM) This is the worst idea I think I have ever seen since I've followed SoxTalk. I thought we were going young. Why not the Big Hurt too? If you haven't noticed, we have gotten older since the offseason started.
-
Williams has to make a splash
QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 08:17 PM) Until he got injured in the third game and was out until August. I trust Herm who is one of the best in the buisness, not to mention he can DH unless Ozzie pulls a Toby Hall on him and makes him play 1B in spring training.. I would still love him though. But hey.. we both love Quentin right?
-
Who is working today?
QUOTE (Yoda @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 03:44 PM) I'm working two shifts where as of right now I have a short breather before heading back. 5am - 2pm 10pm - 5am My lord.. I feel for you bud. Not working today since the layoff, but then again.. I've been sick since yesterday, so probably wouldn't have worked anyway. It was an early thanksgiving for me however..
-
Williams has to make a splash
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 02:24 PM) Guess I'd be okay with Dunn, much moreso than Johnson, knowing Johnson is ten times more likely at this point. Uh.. so? I'd be ECSTATIC if we picked up the OBP machine in Nick Johnson.
-
Barry Bonds
I would LOVE it, but unfortunately it won't happen.
-
Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread
Well that was fun to watch. BTW, Marian Hossa now has as many goals as Martin Havlat.
-
Daniel Cabrera
I can't believe he is still only 28. (going on 29 in May) Seems like he's been around (or been talked about) forever since I started posting on soxtalk back in early 2004.
-
White Sox sign Andruw Jones
09 opening bench: Wise, BA, Betemit, Lillibridge, Corky Miller 10 "potential" opening bench: Kotsay, Jones, Vizquel, De Aza/Nix, Catcher
-
Alphabetical Conversation Thread
Oy.. I had to get sick a day till Thanksgiving..
-
White Sox sign Andruw Jones
When was the last time we signed a Bora$ client?
-
White Sox sign Andruw Jones
QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:18 PM) Getz ,Fields out, Teahan, Visquel, Jones in-we are now "more mature" in the mold of that veteran type team that wins divisions We are much older than last season pretty much.
-
Omogrosso to be 100% by spring training
QUOTE (False Alarm @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 08:55 AM) prepare to be bombarded by KHP with a bunch of incoherent arguments against age-relative-to-league. bizarrely, at least one of said arguments will feature jerry owens as an example. :lolhitting And to actually say my piece, Omogrosso has a major league fastball pre surgery so more or less the sox will give him any chance to succeed because of it. (ala Sergio Santos, who personally I feel he will never make it) Believe me if he isn't throwing 95+ again this year (unless it takes him months to get his arm back) or unless he is lighting up AAA batters (ala Wassermann) he will be gone.
-
White Sox sign Andruw Jones
QUOTE (docsox24 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 02:55 PM) I am kinda suprised that there is this much positive vibe from this one. When I told you guys about the other signing last week I did say you would be less excited about it, but it seems most people like it. Kinda funny that the very first guy to guess who it was last week was right and then people guessed a ton of other names!! It doesn't "excite" me more-or-less the other posters personally, but I don't mind it at all. And yes he gets his props. Nice call iamshack. BTW.. the only thing that "shocked" me is he is a Bora$ client we just signed, doesn't matter how cheap.
-
Is Frank Thomas HOF Worthy?
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 11:33 PM) That damn rangercal. He should be lynched mercilessly. I would still like to hear his reason why, unless he just did it to be a rebel........ without a cause.
-
What is your favorite Holiday?
QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 11:28 PM) Wait! Santa is real. Here's a picture of him: Well that didn't take long. Thanks for comming through Big Ed. :cheers
-
Restaurants near the Art Institute
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 11:15 PM) Chicken Planet is awesome. Get the half chicken with BBQ and the mashed potatoes. Thank me later. I will also third this notice from Pants and Mike.
-
What is your favorite Holiday?
QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 08:54 PM) New Years (Eve) is the most overrated holiday. Meh.. it is till you hit about 11:50 p.m. Then it gets interesting at least from my experience. New Years, Thanksgiving for me. I love to eat. Christmas used to be my personal favorite.. then you get older, get less presents, then have to buy other people presents with a limited budget kind of loses its feel. And I'm sure I might see a "wait... Santa is real" comment somewhere in here.