Everything posted by chitownsportsfan
-
Update: Luis Robert has been cleared according to Rosenthal
QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 01:33 PM) Yeah. I can buy that. JR has won basically every cost-certainty policy that can exist in the MLB save a salary cap. Him strictly adhering to the rules here is no longer necessary. Plus I don't think he cares about losing a class of 16 year olds, he lost a decades worth already. Thanks Wilder. Obviously more to it then that, but sure didn't help.
-
Update: Luis Robert has been cleared according to Rosenthal
I think there's a decent chance the Sox sign this guy. KW loves this type of move and now that they are officially rebuilding he should be able to sell it to JR. I'd be for it. Who cares about next year, grab this guy and go as far over the limit as you have to.
-
Predict the 2017 Opening Day Roster
QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 01:11 PM) In case you're wondering, rosters have to be set with MLB by Sunday at 11am. Rays-Yankees play an hour later. we're close now! I'm oddly excited to see how bad this team is while rooting quite hard for Jose, Q, prospects, etc.
-
New Beer at The Rate
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 11:28 AM) Looks like there will be some around the park, but the major offering is in the bullpen bar (Craft Kave) Yes that list is great. 3 of my favorite Pilsners are on that list. Which ones? I love the Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues. In general, I've been on a Pilsner kick for about a year now. Been drinking IPAs for a decade now and I think my tastebuds finally gave out. I also really like the "Pivo" pilsner from Firestone. Their brewmaster is a fellow K College Alum. All in all I'm quite impressed by that beer list. That's far and away one of the best I've seen and surpasses even what they have available at Safeco. One really cool thing you do at Safeco, at least in the bleachers, is buy a craft 22, so say a Rogue Chocolate stout, and for like $12 you get a commemorative cup and the 22.
-
3/29 vs Padres
QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 02:41 PM) If it were up to you, you'd run out a rotation of Shields, Holland, Covey, Beck, and Danish. Suck for Beer.
-
3/29 vs Padres
Covey is a perfect tank commander in the rotation.
-
3/27 vs Dodgers
QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 07:05 PM) Spring Training is definitely too long. Start 2 weeks later and schedule extra split squad games. I'd just like to start the real season on April 1st or 2nd every year. This waiting until the 5th, 6th, 7th makes no sense. It's not like the weather improves very much one week to the next in early April.
-
3/27 vs Dodgers
QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 06:52 PM) 5-2 win 16-14-1 Can't have a losing Cactus League. Highlight of the year. These guys have to be so ready to head north. It's been pretty hot down there already including quite a few days in the mid 90s just adding to the tedium of late spring training games. Some of these guys have been down there almost two months now.
-
Lucas Giolito
Just be a solid 3rd or 4th starter and stay healthy. That's all I ask.
-
ESPN on Moncada
This guy is built like mike trout or jabril peppers are you kidding me? When you work as hard as these guys 4k calories a day is no big deal.
-
Lopez/Giolito/Kopech/Moncada/Fulmer sent down
QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 03:15 PM) Not much harm in having him start the season in Winston-Salem. You can always promote him to AA in a few months. I really don't think high A hitters can challenge him. It will be too easy to just rely on his heater. There are guys in AA that can force him to throw it for a strike (and turn it around when he does) and to throw his offspeed stuff for strikes. Personally I'd just start him in AA. He seems like he's ready to run.
-
ESPN on Moncada
Great article, when we were down in Phoenix I'm pretty sure we saw at least a few of the players' cars driving around, especially in Scottsdale at night. They are indeed "tricked out".
-
Lopez/Giolito/Kopech/Moncada/Fulmer sent down
QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 09:13 AM) I watched Covey pitch in AZ two weeks ago and he couldn't be a more vanilla, average pitcher. The rangers game? I was at that game as well and those were my thoughts. He is as AAAA vanilla as they come.
-
Hawk reducing games in 2017 - offers to step away from PBP after 2017
QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 12:48 AM) This board is like America ... changing. So many people want cookie cutter announcers now and actually think Hawk is lousy. My gawd. Hawk does not speak in an annoying announcer voice. Same with Stoney. He is not a plastic announcer. He's real. I must admit I thought Benetti did a nice job last year and had a good rapport with Stone. Sox did a good job of picking Benetti who doesn't seem to be a corporate tool either. So in a nutshell, we've got people on this board wanting the Sox to lose every game. Check. We've got people who do not want to see our best prospects for a long long time on the big league team lest they be "rushed" and "flop like Beckham did." Check. Sad state of affairs. Give me Hawk. Give me rebuilds like the Yankees (spend spend spend and never be lousy!) Give me winning baseball not the crap the Sox have spewed out there in the Robin era. stfu
-
Spring Training notes thread
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 05:59 PM) Scott MerkinVerified account @scottmerkin 33m33 minutes ago Renteria said today that taking 13 pitchers is a possibility but 12 still seems to be the number where he's leaning. take 13 pitchers and put Leury as the backup SS. That's a good way to max losses.
-
Lopez/Giolito/Kopech/Moncada/Fulmer sent down
QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 02:59 PM) He made his way into 2 games. nice.
-
Lopez/Giolito/Kopech/Moncada/Fulmer sent down
Did Basabe get into any games, even side games? I saw him briefly working out at the facility first week of March when I was there, but didn't see him actually in a lineup anywhere.
-
Spring Training notes thread
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 02:13 PM) Is he hurt? no he's just a drunk and sucks now.
-
Spring Training notes thread
QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 12:58 PM) Anyone think the Sox could be interested in Joba Chamberlain as a reclamation project? He was released today. Wouldn't be a bad idea really. If he turn him around maybe you can add him to a trade in July. If he doesn't turn it around and helps lose games that's fine too.
-
Tim Anderson signs 6 year extension
lol, Micah having a little fun on twitter: @TimAnderson7 hate to do this to you but remember I gave you that ride to the field in Low A in 2013? Can you venmo me that gas money ?
-
Lopez/Giolito/Kopech/Moncada/Fulmer sent down
QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 06:59 PM) Lopez will replace low man on the totem pole in June, then make that guy the long man in the pen. Sounds about right.
-
Lopez/Giolito/Kopech/Moncada/Fulmer sent down
QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 05:16 PM) According to beat writers, he showed a commitment to a routine and approach despite the bad start. That's a very encouraging sign, usually when players struggle they start to tinker and end up making things worse. The fact he did that bodes well for his development going forward Gordon Beckham has to be the poster child for this.
-
Lopez/Giolito/Kopech/Moncada/Fulmer sent down
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 04:59 PM) whitesoxdave @barstoolWSD 38m38 minutes ago Hearing Kopech most likely starting in Winston Salem FWIW interesting. I think he'll quickly prove too good for high A hitters, although maybe they want him to be working on his off speed stuff in an environment where he'll have more immediate success.
-
Lopez/Giolito/Kopech/Moncada/Fulmer sent down
Yoan and Lopez really showed out this spring. I'm excited to see them in early summer.
-
Tim Anderson signs 6 year extension
Awesome. Congrats to TA and his family and kudos to Hahn on a deal well done. Hard to see how this doesn't work out for the Sox. Even if TA never develops he's still a 1-2 WAR player. If he develops at all he could be a 4-6 WAR SS for the next 6-8 years. Nice.