Everything posted by kev211
-
CTU is Going on Strike
Also the biggest problem with the CPS is the yearly raises. Part of the reason their average is so high is they pay first year teachers on just a bachelors a ton of money(way more than in the suburbs), but teachers with 20 years of exp. and a couple graduate degrees make less then teachers in the suburbs. This causes the more experienced teachers to bolt for the suburbs sticking new teachers with no experience in the schools which is obviously not good for education. A possible solution to this is to pay the new teachers less and give that money to the yearly raises so that someone with 20 years of experience makes more then someone with 20 years of experience in the suburbs.
-
CTU is Going on Strike
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 02:41 PM) Im on the phone with someone, how is that helping your point? I guess unlike a teacher, I can discuss a foreclosure while posting on a message board. Not exactly rocket science here. And if we are comparing to teachers, when is the last time a teacher got a call from a student at 3 am Sunday morning? Can you name a time when a teacher had to sit by the door at a restaurant on Friday night because they may get a call? Or that they couldnt go to the movies because their phone needed to be on. Youre better off sticking with the "Everyone should have it as good as teachers" argument, as opposed to the "teachers work harder than you do." Because trying to argue both, is going to sink either. You constantly comparing your schedule to a teachers schedule is irrelevant until you compare how much you make to an average teachers salary.
-
CTU is Going on Strike
QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 08:12 PM) From what I heard the teachers are now demanding a 20% increase. So, that will put the average close to 90k a year? Also, they don't want to be evaluated in any rational way, and they don't want to ever be able to be fired, no matter how bad they are at their jobs. The strike has nothing to do with kids, it has everything to do with greedy adults trying to soak the rest of the city because they think they have a desperate hostage on their hands. If you believe this. Then I can totally understand why you think what you think. But nothing in this is true.
-
Beckham "We want it bad".
He's certainly playing like it the last two days.
-
CTU is Going on Strike
Some things I am going to add here as a teacher(who doesn't work for CPS or make anything close to what CPS teachers make): To the people saying these evil teachers are walking out on their students that they should be caring about. First, the strike is more about classroom conditions, resource people(nurses, counselors), smaller classroom sizes, and how they're evaluated. Of those things three of them directly effect the students. So the CTU is heartless because they want children in rooms that have air conditioning? The high school I teach at does not have air conditioning and nothing gets done on days where its over 90 degrees. Not because I can't teach in it, I pull through and suck it up, but high school students just zone out and don't pay attention and I do not blame them one bit. There's about 1000 students for each counselor in the CTU that is absolutely ridiculous as how much time and effort can they spend on the students who really need it? And class sizes that rival 50 students is ridiculous, the smaller the class the better the learning that happens end of story. But the CTU is evil cause they want more money. GMAFB they're striking because they want these things for their students. The money is already largely decided. To the people talking about how teachers should suck it up like everyone in the private sector. To that I say instead of hating on teaching unions and saying if I can't have one why should you, why don't you question "Why can't I have a union?" All of this being said as a teacher in a teachers union I would absolutely never vote to strike. There are countless student's that are absolutely being screwed academically and my number 1 priority as a teacher is my students.
-
The First Annual Steve9347 b**** about your Fantasy Teams here
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 09:33 PM) Stafford wasn't the greatest last year when you actually watched him play but his numbers will be there this season just like they were last year. And Ryan will be good but fantasy wise Stafford will be better. Anywho, my top 3 round picks bailed me out today, thank you Mr. Brees, Andre Johnson and Frank Gore. Shout out to the Texans defense too! This. The guy doesn't look that great. But he's going to throw it 45 times every game and add up numbers.
-
2012-2013 NFL Thread
Seattle got four timeouts... hahaha ohhh i love this
-
The First Annual Steve9347 b**** about your Fantasy Teams here
QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 05:36 PM) You got both?? Wow. Ryan went no later than Round 4 in any of my 3 drafts. I personally had him ranked as my #5 QB this year behind Rodgers, Brady, Brees, and Stafford. I'd trade Stafford immediately. People will still think he has big value (even with his awful game today) and Ryan is going to go nuts this year. That offense loves to pass (and quite frankly, can't run very well) and he has 2 true #1 WRs to throw to. Ryan is going to tear it up. You act like Stafford's offense hates passing, has an amazing running game, and Calvin Johnson blows. I'd rather have Stafford. Somehow I think I may manage to win this week in my league even with stafford's s***tiness, benching AP and 3 other TD's, and Wes Welker sucking.
-
The First Annual Steve9347 b**** about your Fantasy Teams here
QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 03:07 PM) wana hear the story of my life, huh huh?!?!?!? I sit adrian peterson and he has 20 points as of right now I sit Alfred Morris and he's got 15 points as of right now... I start Toby f***ing Gerhart and he has ONE POINTT :fight :fight :fight :fight :fight I benched 5 touchdowns. I feel worse than you I promise.
-
Game Thread 9/7
What if the Catcher gives the intentional walk sign and stands up and the pitcher says f*** it and fires a strike? I know it end up being a wild pitch(if the umps baby maker didnt get in the way), but I think it would be hilarious
-
The Washington Nationals Thread
I've adopted the Nationals as my NL team this year. Love watching them on MLB.tv.
-
2012 Video Game Thread
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 10:54 AM) I guess you cant create players, rosters or have a fantasy draft. Those are BIG for alot of people. I'm going to stick with NCAA as well. Wait seriously? I haven't been paying attention to madden or thought about buying it. But why would they take those out? There's literally no reason to do that.
-
Obamanation Re-election MegaThread
QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:36 PM) It is despicable. I wish those Republicans would all lose their jobs. But I find it impossible to believe there aren't ways to get some of this stuff passed. Isn't that part of the game of politics? Convincing/lobbying the other side? If it is impossible, I guess we're all doomed. Cause four more years of this same s*** is going to cripple everybody. I could see a Depression, not a recession. Too many people out of work and/or having their pay slashed. They don't lose their jobs they get commended by their party and get crazy support. You did listen to Clinton tonight right? The country is in much better shape than it was 4 years ago. He proved it and had the stones to call Romney and Ryan out on their straight out lies that Obama hasn't improved the country. When Obama took office we were losing 750k jobs a month, we're now creating jobs every month(4.5 million new jobs in the last 2.5 years). He fixed the the auto industry, he passed healthcare and hes working on student loans and making college affordable again. Don't listen to them say he hasn't done anything because he has and he has the country pointing upwards again.
-
Billy Clinton Take A Bow
QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:16 PM) No. I think Obama has been very blah. Clinton gave me hope that Obama may be able to work with some of the blockhead Republican leaders who hate him. He also gave me hope that maybe Obama can get the economy turned around. I'm not convinced of that, but after listening to Billy I have some hope. Obama will win the election, there's no question about that. I'm just hoping Billy Clinton is right and there is a plan to turn around the economy. Clinton wasn't all pollyanna like michelle was, so it makes me tend to believe him more. He said the deficit can and will cripple our country if we don't make strides to getting it fixed. He said enough to make me not quiver and bang my head against the wall when the tabulations are in and Obama wins in a landslide again. I also think Romney is a wealthy clown and no way I'd vote for him. The only question for me is will I vote at all. If I vote it'd be for Obama. I'm leaning toward not voting at all. But Billy C. made me move closer to voting for Obama rather than obstaining/protesting. Just remember what Clinton said. Neither him or any of the presidents before him could have fixed the country in 4 years.
-
Obamanation Re-election MegaThread
QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:20 PM) Yeah I heard that and I thought it was during the best part of Clinton's speech. He didn't name the guy, but it was the Speaker or somebody said Republicans' only goal should be to make sure Obama doesn't win again. It's probably the press' fault for not getting that guy a one-way ticket to Aruba forever. Making life miserable on the guy. I don't even know who said that, but that guy is a demon. Our economy is a national crisis and it must be fixed. I know of so many people out of work and I could be fired any day. Of course I could. It wasn't just anyone it was the leader of the republicans in the senate. Their only goal was to make him a 1 term president, not work with him to fix the country. Despicable. That's what this party has become. Just like Clinton said the guys who just disagreed with Obama and didn't hate them lost their seats and primaries to people that did.
-
Obamanation Re-election MegaThread
QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:09 PM) So there's no hope? It will be hopeless forever? How did Reagan do it? How did some of the others do it? I am no Poly Sci expert but I do recall a bit throughout history of the President meeting with certain leaders on the other side regarding specific issues, sort of like when the President of the US meets with leaders of other countries. It's about stroking egos and making the public realize that Obama just met with Republican leader so and so and if so and so flat out refuses to help, at least he gets the bad press that goes with it. Politics is a game like anything else. So Kev211, are you saying it's hopeless and the next four years will be more of the same? Obama getting blocked at every juncture with his having NO HOPE of getting anything passed? Great I guess we're all doomed. I'm not saying you are wrong; I'm saying this problem seems to have gotten worse. If it's ALL the Republicans' fault, then f*** them. They are ruining our great country; if there's any hope of changing it, Obama better get to work. What I am saying is Obama can't help it if the Republican Party sticks with their stance of the only goal being removing Obama from office. They literally stated that was their #1 goal and refused to work with him to make him look as bad as possible so he wouldn't get re elected. I'm not going to find the quotes but Clinton gave it in his speech tonight. The #1 goal of the republican party the last 4 years has been to make sure Obama doesn't get relected when it should of been lets work with him to fix this mess. That's not Obama's fault that's a party being hateful and refusing to work with the leader of their country.
-
Billy Clinton Take A Bow
So did he change your mind on how awful a president you claim Obama has been?
-
Obamanation Re-election MegaThread
QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 10:56 PM) I think you are making Greg's point for him here. Great leaders rally their troops. Why can't Obama rally a few hundred Congressmen? Or inspire the American people? Where were those speeches that got him elected 4 years ago? Where's the clear direction, the focus? I don't know, he won't tell me. Not saying Romney would be any better, I think he's weak too. Obama is our President but a leader? No way! The average American's lack of faith in Washington is more than ever! Proof! Until a President unifies Washington I'm unimpressed. That will be a great man. Oh give me a break. How the is Obama supposed to unify DC when the Republican goal that they stated and made obvious was to get rid of him? These guys don't disagree with him they hate him. You can compromise on disagreement you cant if someone hates you as a person.
-
AJ Did Not Test Positive; No Story Here
If this is true then good on AJ for trying. It's a shame he got caught but after Melky and braun there's not doubt in my mind that this is running rampant in the league again.
-
LOL at reaction to Michelle's speech
QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 10:27 PM) If that game was better than the speech, I won't waste my time It was long, but there was actually substance to it instead of nothing. IMO its worth a watch or read, but wait to read it because he didn't follow his transcripts at all according to the media right now.
-
LOL at reaction to Michelle's speech
Question Greg. If Obama really does give the greatest speech of all time Thursday how will you know if you've convinced yourself that he can't and the media is in the bag for him. Obama put himself on the national map for his awesome speech at the 2004 DNC, was that just the media being in the bag for him then or was it great speech? Michelle Obama gave an really good speech last night. Maybe it didn't deserve all the crazy stuff said about it, but it was still really good. She wrote that speech herself and the way she delivered it you could tell she really believed in it that's why I thought it was a really good speech. I don't need the media to form my opinions I watched it and enjoyed it. Now my liberal views may create a bias, but I am not afraid to admit that.
-
Obamanation Re-election MegaThread
QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 10:36 PM) i don't even think that is possible. and you think he'll get 0 Pinocchio's. hahaha.
-
Obamanation Re-election MegaThread
QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 10:24 PM) Zach Wahls will be speaking at the DNC tomorrow. Went to my high school. I never knew him well, but my brother's good friends with him. They talk on facebook about this crazy ride he's been on. Amazing. Y'all better watch and listen. This kid's inspiring. That kids been on the Daily Show. He's also had a few AMA's on Reddit.
-
Technology catch-all thread
Google Drive is awesome.
-
The WE GOT THIS Sox/Tigers Sunday THREAD
What the f*** is Robin doing there.