Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. QUOTE(Texsox @ May 24, 2007 -> 02:22 PM) OK, so "these people" don't come in, Who works these jobs and doesn't cause the same problem? I know the arguement is OMG who will do these jobs, but I think it is hilarious that all of these illegal activities can be excused just for that reason. What is wrong with actually setting a real plan for legal migrants to work in the US? I know it is easiest to sit and snipe at those who disagree with you, but are you telling me if I broke into your house, took stuff from you, and then claimed it was my house because I was there, you wouldn't have a problem with it as long as I did the dishes? If so you all can send me your addresses.
  2. QUOTE(fathom @ May 24, 2007 -> 02:06 PM) How many jobs could the manager of the organization call someone a f*g or swear on live radio and still have their job? Exactly.
  3. I know what Morissey is getting at here, but there is one thing that is bothering me about this. Some of the things that he is talking about, are things that deserve attention. For instance, tell me if you punch a co-worker at any other job, would you still be around? Hell no. Why are baseball players special? Its one thing to get on them for what they say, but is quite acceptable for what they do. Its the samething for "youthful indiscressions". How many of you have jobs where you could get busted for using speed on the job, and they wouldn't say or do anything about it, and in fact not tell anyone about your crime? How many jobs could you threaten your wife and kids lives, and they would just make you have a paid suspension? Please.
  4. QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 24, 2007 -> 01:08 PM) Good thing we're not jumping to conclusions here in this thread. Yeah, you are right. I know anytime I want to tell my wife I love her, I leave her a message telling her that I am going to f***ing kill her and the f***ing kids. I mean you could go get a Hallmark card, but a message on her cellphone is so much more effective.
  5. So should we re-open the "Decline of Mark Buehrle thread now"? Nice work Knight
  6. QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 24, 2007 -> 12:55 PM) I swear though, I know someone got plunked by Tracey on accident, Tracey apologized to him personally and then that person shoved him down. I think it was Dukes. Dukes is a punk. Like I've said and keep repeating: someone needs to welcome him to Chicago tomorrow. I would be shocked if he plays in this series. But if he does, I wouldn't mind someone lighting him up.
  7. QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 24, 2007 -> 10:05 AM) Isn't he the guy who shoved Sean Tracey down? Nah, that was Ozzie
  8. QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 23, 2007 -> 10:33 PM) I would like to start getting into some lifting here at home on the basic set we have, just to stay a little active. What's good for a 19 year old who is 5'10" and weighs (as of two days ago) 131.5? Beer.
  9. QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 24, 2007 -> 09:15 AM) Congrats to everyone baking(Ribbie, Mike, Steff and whoever else is baking). Our bun was done 2 months ago. Mrs SSI71 and I are going to close the bakery now. That will be us after this one. Two buns and out. BTW, a belated congrats on the delivery
  10. What an incredible episode. The big detail that blew my mind was Jack referring to his dad like he was still alive. I wonder if that was just a drunken slipup, or if that was a big tip to the future? I know I wasn't the only one hoping Jack killed Ben after Ben told Tom to kill the 3 hostages. I was really surprised that he didn't, because what leverage did Ben have to stay alive? The hostages were dead, Ben had no way left of contacting the outside world, or anyway to get anyone off of the Island. I was shocked they let him live. The scene with Kate at the end was incredible. I think everyone's jaw dropped when it was her, and not the Ex who came walking up. But with Kate, how is she not in jail? If she got rescued, shouldn't she still have had those pesky murders hanging over her head? I still want to know who the funeral was for. I guess there are a few possibilities if you think about it. The most convincing to me is Ben. After that I would guess Locke, because he kept trying to make sure they couldn't get off of the Island.
  11. How did I know this thread would be back?
  12. Brandon Allen has missed a couple straight games now... Any injury problems?
  13. So what are the chances that Tampa Bay tries to invalidate his contract? Oh right, he is still young and cheap. What a complete loser.
  14. QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ May 23, 2007 -> 10:19 PM) I didn't say 'suddenly', but add 12 million people, and if the usual percentage get hurt and qualify for SSDI or SSI, that is alot of extra money going out that wasn't planned for 10 or even 5 years ago. It's not hard to qualify for this either, So $4000 per year until you get $40,000. So in 10 years, you have people eligble for SSDI. There is a calculator on the SSA page. if someone made $40,000 of REPORTED income for the 10 year period, and then became 'disabled', they would be eligible for $1223 per month. Spouses and children would also be eligble to receive money thru this program up to an additonal $800. And if the breadwinner dies after the 10 years, his survivors get money, $929 per month for your spouse and and additonal $929 per child up to a family maximum of $2312 per month. The 30 year old former illegal who works 10 years then drops dead now has a family getting 2 grand a month for doign nothing, until the spouse reaches 67 and the kids reach 18. I think this benefit far outweighs anythign that person/family put into the system. According the the governments own site, workers have a 3 in 10 chance of becoming disabled before they reach retirement age. http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/quickfacts/...shot/index.html According to the govt, about 9% of the total SS beneficiaries are getting SSI. It all adds up. http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/statcomps/s...04/table01.html This shows you how many people get SSI now, and how much it costs. Alot. It MAY not be as dire as some predict, and certainly not as sudden as you seemed to THINK I said, but it will be dramatic if they are all made legal and released into the system. And it STILL doesn't explain the silence from AARP. It's as if thier hearing aides all died or something. They go balistic when you even look crosseyed at social security. You and I can debate the effect this would have, but it WOULD have an effect. They should be screaming as loud as thier leathery lungs will allow them to, but yet they are curiously silent. Why? Heck you can take that a step further and even start to figure out that these people probably aren't going to pay in nearly what they get out of the system. If these people are indeed coming to in to work our "unwanted" and lowpaying jobs, SSI is only taxed at 7.65% of income. So for someone who is even earning as much as $10 an hour and working fulltime, they are only paying in just under $1600 a year in FICA. [$10X40hrs/wkX52wks)times 0.0765.] So in other words if they work 10 years in the system, they will take out more than the spend in about 13 months, and that is only if they are single and have no dependants. If you take the highend earning potential of $2312 then it takes just under 7 months to become a net earner on the SSI program. Now starting taking that math times millions, and tell me how it does not place a huge new burden on the system?
  15. QUOTE(WhiteSoxFan1 @ May 23, 2007 -> 03:51 PM) Nice call. I dont have too many problems finding ladies, but its the uncontrollable drama that I have trouble with. You do have some control over the drama to some extent... You always have the ability to walk away at this stage.
  16. http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?pt=8ZspIxDwid...DpYUhc4Fy%3D%3D
  17. For Sox stuff, I will tune to cmst first, if there isn't another game on it.
  18. QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ May 23, 2007 -> 12:53 PM) Congrats Mike!!!! We also are baking this year!!! Here's to our sperm!!! Awesome, but I have a question... Do they come out a plushie, or does that happen later?
  19. There's this plane... and it crashes on this deserted island... Except it isn't really deserted!
  20. QUOTE(Texsox @ May 23, 2007 -> 10:09 AM) There is probably more unknown about that statement as any in discussing the problem. On one hand, we are told they are already costing us billions in these benefits. Then the same people will turn around and claim they are not using them, but will after becoming legal. Bottom line, we need a system that ties immigration to jobs. That does as much as humanly possible to have these humans "on the books". That decreases the desire for people to risk their lives to find some menial labor job in the US. That equalizes the situation where Cubans become instant citizenswhen they touch the beach, but makes a criminal of any Mexican who does the same thing. It takes government support for the working poor to live in this country. Our options include lowering all our standards to live at what the poorest can afford in terms of interstate highways, clean water and air, military, etc. Or accept that the taxpayers with the most resources will shoulder a greater share of the financial load that it takes to have our publicly supported schools, parks, military, etc. I know in Absolute-land things are either black or white, but there are both services that are being strained by illegals, and others that have not been strained at all. Things such jails, hospitals, and food pantries are bursting at the seams. Many other government programs which have residency requirements have not been touched yet. QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ May 23, 2007 -> 12:12 PM) I'm 29. I have paid into SSI for 13 years now. I don't yet qualify for full benefits. And honestly, how many of these people are 65? They aren't 65 today, but many will be soon enough. With the future status of SSI looking as scary as it does, adding 12 to 20 million generally low earning people isn't going to help.
  21. Yup, really tough policy MLB has there...
  22. Classy guy.
  23. QUOTE(That funky motion @ May 23, 2007 -> 11:19 AM) We could'nt be so lucky! ^^^ He wouldn't fit in there at all...
  24. QUOTE(Steff @ May 23, 2007 -> 10:44 AM) There's at least 2 other members here cooking as well. Awesome! BTW, for the original thread poster, quit stressing over this stuff. You are still young enough, you shouldn't have this much angst over each relationship you are in. Relax and enjoy the relationships you are in, and if they don't work, move on. Don't lose sleep over it.
  25. QUOTE(Y2HH @ May 23, 2007 -> 10:47 AM) Something I've always wondered with sports fans and writers...why when they talk about contract signings, do they designate million as MM instead of M? 12M= 12 Million 12MM = ?? Mega Million? Multi Million? Doesn't make sense to me. M is the roman numeral for 1000.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.