Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Extreme Weather Poll
16-10 for the cold. I gotta say, I am surprised the poll has gone this way.
-
If the team is set
QUOTE(ptatc @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 12:13 PM) When you look at the budget you need to remember how revenue is generated. Yes, attandance increased but the windfall from the playoffs from the previous year was not there. The clubs make a great deal of money from the playoffs. The players are paid during the regular season. Playoff money is pure profit. So while the actual budget didn't change, the increased attendance allowed it to stay flat without the playoff windfall. The club did use the money from attendance to do this so it should not tick you off. Great post. I am actually looking forward to this years Forbes #s for MLB to see what the revenue stream actually looked like when compared to last year.
-
American Idol
QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 10:22 AM) Tonight finally ends the audition portion of the show. I do laugh at everyone that tries to go through the wrong door. I don't know why, it's so dumb, but I crack up anyways. I liked the guy who was told no and then said he is going to make a big scene for the cameras and started yelling at the judges. YOu mean the guy who didn't get tough until after he left the room, then he started yelling like a badass?
-
Extreme Weather Poll
QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 08:41 AM) BTW, has anyone lived in both extremes? I lived around Houston for 3 years and two summers, plus up here for the rest of my life. As for me, give me the Houston summers, over the Chicago winters anyday, and twice on Sunday's.
- Extreme Weather Poll
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 08:11 AM) Both ends of the scale are a b****. The 100+ days of 100+ degrees down here can wear on you. I spend most of those months down at the Island so it isn't too bad. And like Chicago winters you go from a climate controlled home to a climate controlled car to a climate controlled office. POLL TIME!
-
Dahmer connected to Adam Walsh murder?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationw...nationworld-hed
-
February Quotes
QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 03:07 AM) I thought I heard someone blasting the new Yoko Ono disc through a car stereo last night, but it turns out my neighbor just needs new brakes really badly.
-
music
QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 03:07 AM) I thought I heard someone blasting the new Yoko Ono disc through a car stereo last night, but it turns out my neighbor just needs new brakes really badly. QOTM!!!
-
Palehose 7
QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 07:43 PM) It started out last year as the Palehose 6, which was a pirate ship. It was pretty funny to start, but got old quick, although it had the occasional funny one. My expectations aren't too high for the Palehose 7. Wow. I can't believe you feel that way about PH6. I thought it was a great mix of intelligence and humor, meanwhile mixing the underlying anger and insecurities that most Sox fans seem to have. To be honest, I think it is the answer to what's-her-name's Twins Blog.
-
Best of Soxtalk 2006 Nominations
QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 02:15 PM) Wow, I got nominated? Thanks!!! I was so sure I sucked. And THAT is why you got nominated... Duh.
-
Official 2006-2007 NBA Discussion Thread
Here is the blurp FWIW
-
The official "Greg Oden vs. Kevin Durant thread
If I am the Bulls, Greg Oden wins me a title within two years.
-
2007 MLB Catch-All Thread
QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 12:25 PM) Umm I'd just like to point out this drug policy slamming is a bunch of crap. They would have had tighter drug policies but it took a zillion times of public outcry and legal pressure to get the PLAYERS UNION to cave in on this and make it an outcry. What was Selig going to do, let the game go into another strike over drug testing (because if the owners had fought for it a few years back that is exactly what would have happened). And this exclusive rights deal with DirectTV in no way shape or form violates there anti trust agreement. Actually Selig has the power to institute pretty much anything he wants for the good of the game. He has executive powers to change anything that is considered vital to the game. Its called the "best interests" clause and MLB gave it to Landis to clean up after the Black Sox scandal. Instead of playing the "mean ol players union" card, Selig could have manned up and required whatever level of testing he wanted using this exact clause. Instead he played the negotitations game, and they all harmed the reputation of the game more than anyone since 1920.
-
2007 MLB Catch-All Thread
QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 12:16 PM) Eew this is starting to feel like politics. I don't really do politics anymore. And you're right about the exemption that does put them in the spotlight for Congress, not really sure why I even put that, regardless I really don't want them to step in on this one, I don't feel it's the place. I don't think that this actually violates the spirit of the anti-trust agreement, and thus should be left alone. I do believe this combined with the see no evil approach to their drug policy will get them attention in Congress, especially when the Mitchell investigations start to turn up some dirt in the form of complicity or even aiding by the ownership higher ups in the steroid scandals. I really think we will see MLBs anti-trust exemption come up for review in the next few years as their dirty laundry gets aired in front of the entire country.
-
2007 MLB Catch-All Thread
QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 12:08 PM) So where were they when the NFL sold the rights to Sunday Ticket? Just because MLB has an exemption doesn't mean they should be targeted by Congress when something like this happens. And the Antitrust exemption has absolutely nothing to do with why John Kerry got involved in this case. Actually it does mean that Congress should be invovled because there is no other means to address the problem. The anti-trust agreement means that MLB can do whatever it wants, and pretty much violate most of the usual laws that other groups have to follow, the NFL included.
-
2007 MLB Catch-All Thread
QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 11:55 AM) I totally agree on that, this situation sucks and all but once you have the Senate stepping in on cases such as these, they overstep their bounds. Kerry really has no case here, if they want to have an exclusive rights deal then that's their right to do so. MLB involved the Senate when they asked for an anti-trust exemption a long time ago. That leaves the Congress as their only oversight to make sure MLB is on the up and up. When they keep screwing the fans over, they are going to raise the ire of the Senate, it's inevitable.
-
Interesting point of view (global warming debate)
QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 11:23 AM) Maybe the dino's drove around in big SUVs, worked at big factories, and were too tied to Oil. Damn. Too bad that isn't a stock chart. EZ money
-
2007 Fantasy Baseball Sign Up
I'd like to be in League #1 again Thanks
-
Name Change? Anything else needed?
QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 09:12 AM) rather eat a snickers bar with another man. No one said being the most hated poster at Soxtalk would be easy.
-
The Pledge at Public Schools
QUOTE(mreye @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 09:04 AM) I'm glad to hear that you're raising your kids the right way (my way). Don't worry, she'll have a Soxtalk account soon
-
Where should i move
QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 08:56 AM) I am actually taking a liking to West Loop these days.....Newer units, up and coming area. West loop and across the Kennedy into Greektown are supposed to be still bargains. I know Rockraines and Whitesoxwilkes from WSI live out there.
-
Juan Gone Attempting Comeback
QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 02:51 PM) I think his hammy would pop signing a contract... how much guaranteed $$ did he turn down from the Tigers? $140 million over 8 years, which would just now be expiring after 2007. http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlib...nzalez_Juan.stm
-
Things I Miss
QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 04:14 PM) Don't you believe it. Mike gets BALLISTIC about people jumping into his welcome wagon territory! Not really. GET BACK IN LINE!!!
-
MLB Extra Innings subscribers
Baseball really is the dumbest sport around. They have an anti-trust exemption which allows them to get away with murder, yet they seem to try to do everything possible to piss off the wrong people. I really think we will see a review of their status given the mess from the Steroid stuff and now this.