Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Williams: Sox not cutting payroll
QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 07:39 AM) Every year that they've made profits. 9 of the last 11 years. Also it's worth mentioning, AGAIN!!!, that Jerry is NOT the majority holder and there are several in line BEFORE him that would get their pockets lined before he even saw a dime. A little editing for emphasis.
-
Gagne, Lofton to the Rangers
QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 05:33 PM) Yet a muscle bond first baseman who tears a bicep around the same time is viewed as clean as a whistle around here. But then, he's "our guy". And I am not accusing him, just pointing out that judgments get clouded by the color of a guy's uniform. I wonder how soon until this ends up in SI, I mean I don't need a needle sticking out of his ass or anything... Look how much smaller he was as a rookie, and the strange injuries... etc See how easy that is? Now the rumor is out there, and maybe we can ruin the guys life, career, reputation, hall of fame chances etc. All over some self-satisifying conjecture...
-
My final final
QUOTE(philadelphia sox fan @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 11:01 PM) Wow. How did you figure that out? PA is a stalker in his freetime.
-
Guilty Pleasures
Put me down for the Spin Doctors fan club.... I loved "Pocket". The true test of SD fandom, is when you hear someone say "What time is it" what is the first thing that comes to your mind...
-
SD Senator suffers brain hemmorhage.
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 07:10 AM) I Just saw the reports this morning that he's in critical condition. Damn. Hopefully he comes out of it.
-
Williams: Sox not cutting payroll
Thank you Kenny
-
The Problem with Illegal Immigration raids.
QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 02:39 PM) I think, if we are serious about illegal immigration - these companies need to be fined hardcore. I agree with you 100% there. I mentioned a sizable fine such as $50,000 earlier, which times the estimated 1300 workers, would come out to $65,000,000. Do you think that would give you a little more incentive to be careful in your hiring practices? Here is an interesting article about one of the ID theft victims with some interesting stats to go with it. http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/12/meatpacking_rai.html#posts
-
Garland bizarre list
QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 02:16 PM) See, it turns out I'm the moron. no surprise there. Nah, its everyone else besides us
-
The Problem with Illegal Immigration raids.
QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 02:10 PM) But if the company is able to estimate that 40% of the workers are illegal under oath in court... they aren't willfully ignorant. They're knowingly hiring people who are illegals. Yeah. I gotta say you are probably right on that account.
-
Garland bizarre list
QUOTE(rangercal @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 02:06 PM) another good post. Keep them coming. ^^^ I enjoy the posts too... Anything is better than the "nuh-uh", "uh-huh" type arguements that seem to be going on perpetually...
-
The Problem with Illegal Immigration raids.
What was the term I heard the other day... "willful ignorance"? The interesting part is that the government has tried to focus on the ID theft part of this, which I believe is a really understated symptom of how many illegals are still able to get jobs. I have no idea how big this practice is exactly, because it seems to only get mentioned in passing in assorted articles, but it obviously exsists to some degree if they were able to use it as a primary reason to raid this company. I would be willing to be there is more of this going on, and less cash under the table type stuff than we are led to believe.
-
For GOP only
So remember the claims that the Foley emails were manipulated for political gain? Where there is smoke... http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20...23555-4731r.htm
-
Thank you, Freddy
Yup, but Freddy is going to throw 86 forever... It was totally obvious that last year pretty much the entire staff was hurt and/or tired for basically the whole season. You don't lose that much velocity for no reason, and lo and behold, now the reasons are coming out. He is soooo primed for a 20 win season, a huge contract, and then a huge let down.
-
Blue Jays, Wells agree on $126M deal
QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 12:51 PM) He REALLY doesn't want to stay in Canada, I really can't blame the guy for turning down that deal if the main reason for rejecting it is the team offering him the contract. Last season the Blue Jays had to have been the whitest team in all of baseball Wells, Molina Rios and Chacin are the only non-white players I can think of that were on the active roster. He's said in the past that he's not comfortable on a team with so little diversity. Bingo. Interesting. I can think of about 29 teams the US that would love to have him.
-
Guilty Pleasures
QUOTE(longshot7 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 12:59 PM) I got you beat. Not only do I have everything ever released by the Spice Girls, I have all of their solo album and singles. (that's my dirty lil secret.) I also love S Club 7 and have all their albums, but not all the singles. Good fun disposable pop music. I wouldn't brag about that too loudly... We already know Mreye is a loser, we had no idea you were
-
Blue Jays, Wells agree on $126M deal
QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 12:47 PM) Exactly. Its not worth the risk of injury or a bad season to turn that kind of money down. Even if he could get a little more if he had a big season, he could also get a whole lot less. If he doesn't sign, IMO he has a bad agent. The only other reason I could think of is if he REALLY hates Toronto/Canada, or something like that.
-
Blue Jays, Wells agree on $126M deal
Wow. How do you seriously turn that down? (Juan Gonzalez)
-
Daisuke Matsuzaka signs
QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 12:02 PM) Reports on ESPN 1000 say Matsuzaka is en route to take a physical, I'm guessing they end up at 9-10 mill per for 6 seasons... which is really 111 mill for 6 seasons, or rather 18.5 million per season. Jesus Christ Compared to 16-17 million a season for Zito, or 16 million a year for 3 years of Schmidt, this deal doesn't turnout to be that out of line. Getting 6 years instead of the originally rumored 3, is the key here.
-
Jennings to Astros
QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 09:02 AM) I thought WE backed out after getting the med records on Buckholz. There was also a report that said Houston balked when we asked for Hirsh.
-
Official NFL Thread
NFL rookie of the Year poll, come and discuss!
-
Official NHL Thread
An awesome 3rd period for the Hawks. It was excellent to see the PP finally finish some opportunies, and they ended up being the difference between winning and losing.
-
Jennings to Astros
Wait a second, Houston refused to send us that package of players for Garland, right? How did we screw this up then, when we never got this offer???
-
NHL TV ratings.
Caring about hockey ratings, ranks right up there for me with caring about attendance. I don't watch hockey to see how many other people are watching it, I watch it because I like it. QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 04:54 PM) I respect those who watch the NHL and I agree that at times it can even be decent to watch, but the reason that it's not covered is that probably 98% of America does not UNDERSTAND about the sport. A little edit there to make it more accurate. For much of the country it just isn't simple enough, and that's too bad, because they are missing out on the most gifted athletes in the world IMO.
-
Holocaust Conference
QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 09:32 PM) Wow, that's just f'ed. I don't get how people can think that was all lies. There is a little bit of proof...right? Do these goons think a bunch of people just suddenly decided it would be cool to take on heroin chic before it was even a fashion trend and to get numbers poorly tattooed on their arms? I don't know, IMO denial of the Holocaust just shows what a backwards idiot you are and anybody who follows you is an even bigger idiot. Actually there are TONS of records that were kept from this era, and it was the Nazis themselves who kep them. Germany kept incredibly maticulous records about every person until the choas of the war got to be too much for the bureaucrats to handle. But even those aren't enough for these guys. My favorite part is how they say that the Palestians shouldn't have to pay for the murders of the Jews, which is a nice sentiment, but I am curious when places like Iran and Iraq are going to offer back the Jews all of the land and right of passage from when they were run out of Iran generations ago? Oh that's right, they don't talk about that, do they?
-
Sox offer arbitration to Crede & Cintron
QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 02:45 PM) But you are a Sox fan. Would you be saying that if you grew up in California? If you are a soft drink marketing guy and as a kid drank Coke, would you work for Coke for less than Pepsi, because you are a fan? It's not like a player has free will in this. I love South Texas, if I was a ballplayer, I couldn't choose to work in South Texas. How many players get a chance to work in their hometowns? They are drafted, traded around, and most never achieve the level of success that allows for them to make that choice. And teams aren't any more loyal. Frank demonstrated over and over again a willingness to stay with the Sox. Now he's on his third team in three years. I will also say it's better for baseball that players compete in the boardroom as well as on the field. How would baseball look if players wanted so bad to wear Yankee pinstripes that they would play there for less? That they valued winning so much that they would congregate on one team for much less? But my main point is blame Boras all you want, but it is misdirected. He can ask all he wants, it takes someone to write the check. I blame the owners. But did you tell them to offer you less? That's the point. The company made you an offer. Would you have told them to pay you less so they could increase marketshare? Hire more/better employees? Make more corporate profits? Well I didn't demand a salary that was above the current marketplace and tell them that no other price would do either.