Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
The Freedom Tower begins its historic rise
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/19/freedom.tower.ap/index.html
-
Final Exam Help
QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 09:19 AM) Same here, I was wondering why we still had this pinned. I kicked ass this semester though; it was my best in college. Then unpin it Mr Admin
-
Wishes of the season
With many people heading out of town soon, I guess this is an excellent to time to wish the entire Soxtalk family a very Merry Christmas. Be safe, be happy, and be cool.
-
Sox WMD's
This makes me miss BE GOOD and Beastley... Those were the days!
-
Ahmadinejad's party losing in local elections
QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 05:39 PM) Khatami's party lost power because of frustration over the speed of which the government was moderating, and also the corruption involved in Khatami's party. Iran's people are poor. They aren't often thinking about the international risks or benefits of who they elect. I guarantee you that the vast majority of them are voting for people that they think will make survival easier. I think the lack of moderation in China creates a good example that can be applied to Iran. A population will accept a constrictive social policy in exchange for the hope of food in their belly and a roof over their head. The two reasons I have seen listed over and over again, even before the election, for why Ammy suffered at the polls was that he has never fixed the umemployment/poverty problems, and a lot of the populace of Iran resents him for potentially isolating Iran from the west, or worse. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationw...nationworld-hed The big problem in Iran, is that at $65 a barrel, the country itself isn't poor, but the people are. If you think the divide here in wealth is stark, its nothing compared to a place like this where obscene oil wealth gives way to hoardes of abject poverty. In reality, the seeds of revolution are there, they are just kept well stamped down by the clerics who don't allow any dissent, dispite Ahmadinejad's claims that Iran preserves freedom of speech. A big part of me wonders if the real intent in Iraq was to spread revolution all over the middle east by destabilizing the most powerful governments, and stoking the long cooking embers of secartian hate to a nice boil... because we aren't that far away from all out civil war from Saudi Arabia clear to Eygpt right now.
-
Stupid, Hilarious Videos
QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 10:57 PM) A bit NSFW...but dern funny. Have Her Open the Box! That was the funniest skit on SNL in years...
-
Happy Birthday WinningUgly
To another of the old ESPN crew guys
-
Capital improvement fund raising program
Interesting stuff guys, you both just might be hearing from me soon...
-
Empire Carpets
QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 02:37 PM) Yes they are played today ... even here in western KY. But what I want to know is do I actually remember those old ads or am i confusing them with something else? In other words, I'm saying I remember that number without the 1-800 part of it. Am I nuts or was that an old Chicago area/WGN type commercial? Yeah if memory serves me correctly the "800" popped up when they started creating a million area codes around Chicagoland. It originally was just the 588-2300 when all of Chicago was a 312 area code and it didn't matter. Now a days even the Chicago version has the 800 in the jingle.
-
Empire Carpets
They are still played today, and the number is 800-588-2300
-
Mattresses?
QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 02:16 PM) Whatever trips your trigger. Hmm in his case, we are talking tickle fights and phone calls to boys.
-
Capital improvement fund raising program
QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 01:35 PM) Mike I have done many fund raisers. What is the dollar goal? What has the group done in the past? How many people are involved (paid staff/volunteers)? What resources do you have? The key is first adding up all the resources, and especially don't forget people and their hidden talents. Right now I am in the middle of a small fundraiser that we are projecting will earn us $45,000. That is much different than a $2,000,000 capital campaign. So what are we talking? Probably something pretty close to the second figure. We are still in the "vision" stage of determining what our "dreams" are before we start to figure out what they would cost, but a really loose estimate was $1-$2 million. I haven't been to the board of directors meeting yet, or to talk to the finance committee, so I have no real idea of the logisitics here. I was at the facilities committee meeting last night, and we had just started talking about what we wanted to do to transform a mid 1960's facility into something for the 21st century.
-
Al Gore Scandal!
BTW, thanks PA for ruining a perfectly funny thread
-
Al Gore Scandal!
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 01:14 PM) I'll agree, and narrow it even further. Gore may have struggled economically to get things done right. But on the world stage, and on domestic issues of social or environmental nature, we'd be far better off. I will go on record to say if 9-11 had happened after the start of the recession in 01, we would have had a long, long recession (at best) under a Gore administration.
-
Capital improvement fund raising program
QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 12:59 PM) Is this about getting new poles installed at the Industrial Strip in NW Indiana? Haven't you given money enough to their cause, already?!? Shhh...
-
Capital improvement fund raising program
It looks like I might get to be a big part of a capital improvement fund raising program for a local not for profit organization in the near future. My question is, has anyone ever been involved in anything like this, and if so, what was it like? I imagine it will be a big challenge, but I am curious to hear war stories if anyone has any.
-
Low Property taxes=lower poverty rates
This was an interesting read. I wonder what the causation and correlations really are, or if they are onto something. http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1215/p09s01-coop.html
-
Alex Rios?
Wow, that would be a steal for LA.
-
2008 Presidential Announcement Thread.
QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 10:03 AM) I just think you guys are all underestimating the racist tendencies of America. Not just in the South but in Ohio and Pennsylvania (the first being the most Republican swingstate the other being the most Democratic one) and of Missouri, Iowa and Florida, too. If Obama runs he will be trounced. That's about all I've got to add on the matter. You can put a good chunk of Indiana on that list as well IMO...
-
Al Gore Scandal!
The car was leaking anti-freeze which a spotted owl licked off of the pavement. I saw it myself.
-
2008 Presidential Announcement Thread.
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 08:53 AM) I completely disagree. The 1% (and I'd say its actually more than that, more like 5% or more) of the population that simply won't vote for a black man is NOT the swing vote - those voters will vote GOP, or maybe 3rd party, almost all of the time. So Obama doesn't suffer for that. Powell might have, though. The far right fringes, where racism is most prevalent, wouldn't vote for any democrat in any case. The swing votes, America's socially moderate, are far less likely to be driven that way. As for sexism and Hillary on the other hand, I think the fear of a female President would exist on that far right fringe, but ALSO exist in other segments of the population. She suffers at the swing much more than a racial minority would. Have you read much on Powell? Or read anything he has written himself? Because I have. I don't doubt for one second his wife said that. Powell was lacking in political prowess and mindset to be sure. He is a statesman in the pure sense. If he lost, that is what would have made him lose. The few percent on the far right of his party (as stated earlier) would not have voted for him, but he would have picked up at least that many based purely on race from the far left in the black community. I don't know about percentages, but i know both parties have their idiots. It might be more in one group or another, but I still feel it is enough to sway an election in this climate.
- Owner Media
-
2008 Presidential Announcement Thread.
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 08:03 AM) When Colin Powell was considering a run from the GOP side ('92 or '96, I forget which), polls indicated he was at that time the most popular choice not only in his own party, but nationally as well. He eventually dropped out (at least in part because his wife said she'd leave him if he won), but he absolutely had a good chance to win. I have no doubt that there is still plenty of racism and bigotry in this country. But I do believe that the right person can bust through that, and right now, Obama looks like he might be that person. I just think American is more ready (right now) for a black man than a woman of any race to win the Presidency. None of that should really matter of course, but, it does. As split as the electorate is, it doesn't take much to keep a canditate out of office. If you were to get the usual party line split, plus even a couple of a percent of a party who either didn't vote, or voted for an opponent because of their usual party's canditate's race, it would be enough to swing an election quite easily. It isn't that the overwealming portion of the country isn't ready for a [insert downtrodden minority of your choice here] President, its that the 1% of the country that isn't, would be the swing vote in this scenario.
-
Bonderman gets 4 year extension
QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 06:47 AM) How do you know there have no been attempts? If your just basing you thoughts off a few articles that were published in the Trib, than I should just stop now. There are tons of things that go on behind closed doors that we have no idea about, and sometimes never find out took place. My point is this. Mark knows if he gets out onto the open market, he can get a 4-5,maybe even 6 year deal somewhere. Good for Mark. He also knows that it would idiotic to sign a long extension now(he would be signing a deal to cover his "peak years") when he has just had his worst season by far. Now look at it for the Sox side. Why would the Sox re-sign a Mark Buehrle right now when the 2nd half of the season he was completely lost, and there weren't really any signs of him losing any of his stuff. Why would you give a 4 or 5 year deal to that? I'm not a GM, but that just doesn't seem like a very good business move to lock up such an un-certainty. Obviously trying to lock Mark up and getting him under market value would be great, but neither Buehrle nor his agent are going to let that happen. And there-in lies the problem. Kenny Williams says that we can't resign these guys, which instantly turns into we don't WANT resign these guys. We have no idea of what has gone on behind the scenes, for all we know Kenny called Mark and asked him what he was looking for in an extention, and once he said "7 years at $100 million" that was when KW realized he COULDN"T resign Mark. There are an awful lot of assumptions being made at this point, based on one small statement.
- Yabba Dabba Dead