Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chicago White Sox

Members

Everything posted by Chicago White Sox

  1. So our own Buerhle>Wood posted the following rumor on Christmas Eve: Seems like this might have got lost in the shuffle due to the holidays, but probably warrants its own thread given nothing else is going on right now. What are people thinking this could be? Free agent signing or trade? Is this something substantial (possibly whale related) or simply more filler?
  2. That’s very true.
  3. Great post and fully agree. Unless the Yankees change their stance, I really think Machado is ours for the taking. The next question is whether or not we still push forward with Harper and my guess is we do. I think there is room for two whales in the budget.
  4. To me, outside of the whales, I don’t see much we’d go after that would be of much substance. Grandal makes sense if you don’t believe in Collins & Zavala being major league catchers, but would they really cut bait on Castillo while pursuing Machado? After that, the only upgrades I could see are pitching. I still think Ottavino could be in play if they offer him the closer’s job and get him to agree to a 2 year deal. I don’t think any of the other high-priced relievers left make much sense for us. The only long-term starting pitching options are Keuchel & Kikuchi and the latter obviously fits much better from an age perspective. Will be very interesting to see what this move is.
  5. What about Kikuchi? He was posted on the 3rd and has to agree to a contract by January 2nd. That’s something that could have “escalated quickly over the last two weeks” and could be expected to be announced before New Years.
  6. Signing or trade? If a signing, I’ll say Ottavino.
  7. If I had to guess right now, here’s what I’m thinking assuming eligibility: Luis Robert, CF (Top 10) Michael Kopech, RHP (Top 20) Dylan Cease, RHP (Top 20) Nick Madrigal, 2B (Top 30) Micker Adolfo, OF (Top 50) Dane Dunning, RHP (Top 60) Luis Basabe, OF (Top 80) Luis Gonzalez, OF (Top 90) Jimmy Lambert, RHP (Top 100) Steele Walker, OF (Top 100)
  8. I think Machado’s market is pretty set and he’s simply giving the Yankees a chance to improve their offer. If not, he goes to the Sox or Phillies pretty quickly. I think with Harper the market is just not what Boras was envisioning. None of the traditional big spenders are overly interested or simply can’t afford him right now, at least not in the $300M range. That leaves teams like the Sox, Phillies, and maybe a mystery team or two. Makes much more sense for him to drag things out and see if someone joins the fray or at the very least make one of these less desirable clubs bid against themselves.
  9. This might help you out. Looks like $14M of benefits included in total payroll: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.truebluela.com/platform/amp/2018/3/29/17150586/dodgers-opening-day-payroll-luxury-tax
  10. Sure, but the $199M wasn’t their luxury tax payroll so you can’t really jump to any of these conclusions.
  11. You’re correct, I apologize for it coming off as fact. My point is there is zero reason to believe Machado’s agent will drag this out until February.
  12. Sure, but the Yankees & Phillies aren’t going to wait around forever. Can you provide your source for why Machado won’t sign until after the SuperBowl?
  13. No, Machado is signing by mid January, his agent doesn’t play the same games Boras does.
  14. I don’t think that adjusted salary is for luxury tax purposes. The adjustments appear to prorate for acquisitions (partial seasons) and/or cash received in trades.
  15. Machado will sign in the first couple weeks of January.
  16. I think this pretty much guarantees we get both of them.
  17. Are you asking what benefits are?
  18. That loyalty goes both ways though as evident by Hahn & KW still being around despite a decade of poor results. And maybe these guys feel a sense of loyalty to Jerry because of that. Also, I’m not sure leaving is so easy when you’re talking about a grand total of 30 to 60 GM / President type roles, especially if you feel comfortable where you’re at and don’t have to move your family.
  19. What has Incarcerated Bob ever gotten right to make us think he’d be privy to this information? I thought he was generally known to be full of shit.
  20. I think there is reason to believe it’s much harder in a Reinsdorf lead organization. For example, when KW finally fired Duane Shaffer it was after 35 years with the club. And let’s be honest, his track record with first round was pretty damn bad. Unfortunately, Jerry’s unwavering loyalty makes it that much harder to create an environment of accountability.
  21. Downs was the 32nd overall pick in the 2017 draft and a legit prospect. When you’re still rebuilding, you don’t trade a guy like that for a bunch of one year rentals. A year from now Downs could see his stock jump significantly and be part of a trade for a much more impactful piece. I just don’t get it from the Reds perspective.
  22. You didn’t address my point. Heyward has five years left on his deal, why in the world would we add a guy with that much control who is no longer good? You can question the timing of our OF prospects if you want to, but there are numerous other ways to address that issue that are better fits than Heyward. And worst of all, you’ve just created a fan revolt by taking an albstross contract off your rival’s hands so they can land one of the most popular players in the games. I’m not trying to be mean, but the idea is absolute insanity.
  23. What are you guys referring to?
  24. What has he been accurate with?
  25. 100% agree. If the Sox are prepared to spend, it really seems like we can land these guys.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.